Rep. Rangel will seek to reinstate draft

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 04:35 pm
WASHINGTON - Americans would have to sign up for a new military draft after turning 18 if the incoming chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee has his way.

Rep. Charles Rangel (news, bio, voting record), D-N.Y., said Sunday he sees his idea as a way to deter politicians from launching wars and to bolster U.S. troop levels insufficient to cover potential future action in Iran, North Korea, and Iraq.

Rep. Rangel will seek to reinstate draft - Yahoo! News

Rangel is a nutcase. The military is meeting its recruitment levels as far a I know. Every time Rangel opens his mouth he says something stupid. I can't believe anyone would vote for this guy.:wtf:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,890 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 04:37 pm
@tumbleweed cv,
I agree , Tumbleweed .
0 Replies

Brent cv

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 05:56 pm
@tumbleweed cv,
This is the second time I have seen the Democrats try to reinstate the draft since the Iraq war.

The most retarded thing ever.
tumbleweed cv

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 06:05 pm
@Brent cv,
It was proabably Rangel both times.Very Happy
0 Replies

Brent cv

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 10:23 pm
@tumbleweed cv,
It was him that did it twice: Once Again, Who Supports The Draft? - Iowa Voice
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 06:56 am
@tumbleweed cv,
So much for the volunteer military. I'll have to do wome research but it was probably the demo's the instated the draft back in the sixty's. And Mujuhedin was mad at the repugs? It was also one of the demo's scare tactics for the 04 elections, i remember them telling kids if Bush won there would be a draft.
tumbleweed cv

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 07:04 am
@Drnaline,
There won't be a draft because nobody supports it.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 07:12 am
@tumbleweed cv,
Not now, but if we engauge Iran? I see them first on the list. All i can say for the kids is stay in school.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 07:47 pm
@tumbleweed cv,
Good article at JWR

Wesley Pruden

Rep. Charlie Rangel's trial balloon, put aloft to see whether there's any sentiment in the new Democratic Congress to reinstate the military draft, was aimed at Baghdad but the balloon, fully deflated, landed somewhere between Capitol Hill and Bowie.

Mr. Rangel insists he's serious, but Nancy Pelosi, the speaker to be, says no, he's not. All good ol' Charlie is trying to do, she says, is to make a point that blacks and Hispanics are carrying a disproportionate burden in the war in Afghanistan and Iraq, and the war effort should be "a shared sacrifice" and his legislation is "his way of making a point."

Mrs. Pelosi's pointed rebuke is her way to tell him to sit down and be quiet, and, in the new spirit of no more ugly partisanship, to tell the Republicans to drop dead already. "We want to take the country in a new direction," she says, "not just for privileged America."

Click for the rest.
NaterG

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 11:21 pm
@Drnaline,
Good grief! How in the hell can they make the draft a race issue!?!?? Is everything a race issue anymore!?!? Thats it, I am converting to hispanic.
tumbleweed cv

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 11:52 pm
@NaterG,
Rangel plays the race card every chance he gets.
0 Replies

Brent cv

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 12:59 am
@tumbleweed cv,
The Democrats period play the race card every chance they get.
tumbleweed cv

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 01:59 am
@Brent cv,
That's true. That's why they draw in the minority vote.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 08:14 am
@NaterG,
NaterG;7256 wrote:
Good grief! How in the hell can they make the draft a race issue!?!?? Is everything a race issue anymore!?!? Thats it, I am converting to hispanic.
What rangle seems to forget even though our military is dis proportionate with ethniticity. It is volunteer, they are where they want to be.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 08:15 am
@NaterG,
NaterG;7256 wrote:

Bienvenidos, it would be nice to have another chicano in the forum, LOL.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 07:12 pm
@tumbleweed cv,
Rangels at it again.

American Legion: Rangel Apologize Now

The National Commander of The American Legion called on Rep. Charles Rangel, D-N.Y., to apologize for suggesting that American troops would not choose to fight in Iraq if they had other employment options.

"Our military is the most skilled, best-trained all-volunteer force on the planet," said National Commander Paul A. Morin. "Like that recently espoused by Sen. John Kerry, Congressman Rangel's view of our troops couldn't be further from the truth and is possibly skewed by his political opposition to the war in Iraq."

According to Rangel, "If a young fellow has an option of having a decent career, or joining the Army to fight in Iraq, you can bet your life that he would not be in Iraq. If there's anyone who believes these youngsters want to fight, as the Pentagon and some generals have said, you can just forget about it. No bright young individual wants to fight just because of a bonus and just because of some educational benefits," Rangel said.

Click for the rest.
0 Replies

mik60487

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 07:31 pm
@tumbleweed cv,
The draft as we learned to love was iniatated in about 1940 and passed the Congress by one (1) vote. In 1972 primarily because of the lack of enthusiasm toward the then war in Viet Nam the SSA was essentially mothballed. Rangel's proposal is not so insane or inane as some purport to believe. It would give pause to Politico's before commiting national treasure to the cauldron of war without careful consideration
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 07:51 pm
@tumbleweed cv,
So you think if there was a draft a senator who's kid was a conscript could not get him out of harms way? Are you saying careful consideration was not given in this or any war where there was no draft?
leef

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 05:22 am
@Drnaline,
Bobby Kennedy supported doing away with educational deferments to the
draft in the late '60s. The reason? Fairness, and the fact that the people
who were supporting the war in Vietnam weren't the ones being forced to go
fight it.

Rangel's trying to make a similar point. He's not doing a great job of it, and
the conditions are different... not the same scenario.

Alll I will say is any non-american person who joins the military should be
made a citizen instantly. If you're willing to fight for this country that's good
enough for me.
leef

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 05:25 am
@leef,
Also, you know that the founding fathers opposed a standing military
after seeing how it was used/how it created the need for use (war) just by its
existance in Europe at the time?

Eisenhower left the presidency warning of the coming danger of the
military/profit complex, and we didn't particularly listen.