Debating the PATRIOT Act

Drnaline

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 08:52 am
@kmchugh,
I suppose you know the difference between 9/11 and Irag? When did the Iraq war start for you?
0 Replies

kmchugh

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 11:16 am
@Crito,
Crito;37938 wrote:
To invoke the War Powers Act requires a declaration of war by congress. There has been no such declaration. The "war" in Iraq is completely illegal and the only reason the "Patriot" Act (a quite traitorous one to be sure) is needed is because the powers that be know they've committed crimes and they're trying to retroactively absolve themselves.

And yes, congress did authorize the use of military force against those responsible for 9/11. That's a police action, not a war, and Iraq had no involvement anyways.

None of the above is true. The president can take unilateral military action without congressional approval. Congress can then take action to bring the troops out of the situation by vote, if they deem it necessary.

And congress did vote to authorize Bush to use force in Iraq. Remember "I voted against it before I voted for it"?
0 Replies