Debating the PATRIOT Act

kmchugh

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 04:14 pm
This thread started in another thread, which I do not wish to hijack. So I am moving it unilaterally to its own thread.

Those coming to this late may read the initial posts here:

http://www.conflictingviews.com/t2014/

On with the debate.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,497 • Replies: 21
No top replies

kmchugh

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 05:44 pm
@kmchugh,
harbors or conceals
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 07:13 pm
@kmchugh,
Indeed....my judgment of this entire affair follows, after many long, long nights of the soul:

BUFFALO POOP.
0 Replies

kmchugh

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 05:30 am
@kmchugh,
Freeman15;36889 wrote:
Sec. 215: Amends FISA (already unconstitutional) to make disclosure of FBI surveillance or searches to those being investigated a crime.

First of all, I’d be curious as to exactly why you see the FISA as unconstitutional. But, since this is a debate on the PATRIOT Act, I’ll leave that alone for now.

The section you reference seems to have a lot of people with no legal background up in arms, not realizing that it has long been a staple of US jurisprudence. As a US Army Counterintelligence Agent, beginning in 1983 (a few days before the PATRIOT Act came into being), much of what I did was actually covered by Title 18 of the United States Code. If you look at Title 18, Part 1, Chapter 121, subsection 2705, as well as at Chapter 73, subsection 1510, paragraph (b), you will see that there are long standing rules about disclosure of criminal investigation to the subject of those investigations. You can find the USC at the Cornell Law School website.

There have been challenges to those laws, but the Supreme Court has upheld the constitutionality of those prohibitions. And since constitutionally, the SCOTUS has been designated as the agency with the responsibility of interpreting the Constitution, and determining the constitutionality of laws, these laws are by definition constitutional. And these laws have been in existence since at least 1983, when I first became a CI Agent. So, there is nothing really new about section 215 at all. At most, it only slightly expands what has already long been a staple of US jurisprudence. And I’m not really even sure that’s true. I seem to recall that there were legal decisions that made it illegal for any record holding agency to notify the subject of an investigation that their records were examined. In any event, the illegality of third party notification is already long settled US case law.

Such prohibitions only make sense. Records reviews, searches, surveillance, and the like are investigative tools, nothing more. For some, a warrant is required, while for others, no warrant is required (see expectation of privacy). But, for most investigations, they are only a part of the job. And in most cases, they are not the end of the investigation. However, if the subject of the investigation is informed of law enforcement interest before the investigation is complete, at the very least the subject will become far more circumspect in his/her actions. At worst, the subject may flee to complete the contemplated criminal activity elsewhere, or under greater cover. When dealing with terrorism, such flight could be more than disastrous.

This highlights a problem I see with many who claim the PATRIOT Act is unconstitutional. Such claims demonstrate that the claimant lacks historical knowledge of US law, and has a limited understanding of the Constitution, and the rules and laws surrounding the determination of what is and is not constitutional. In the end, the SCOTUS is, by constitutional law, the ultimate arbiter of what is or is not constitutional. Therefore, whatever decision they render is constitutional. You may or may not like their decision. They may or may not be wrong, and the decision may or may not later need to be overturned. But, by definition, any decision they render must be constitutional.
Red cv

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 05:03 pm
@kmchugh,
Here lies my concern with the Patriot act; the government using it to catch career criminals and not terrorist. Wire tapping and spying and what not on mob bosses, who cares well eventually they will start turning their spy network toward the unwashed masses to silence those who speak out against these agencies. I do not trust any government with my freedom, they squander our rights to further their agenda and gaining more power is always the goal of BIG Governent. Unconstitutional, I don't care if it's constitutionally okay because it's immoral. If they can't catch and track terrorist or criminals using current laws then they aren't doing their job. I don't think it's a stretch of my imagination to assume future leaders would pluck their critics off the street or blackmail opponents using the Patriot act as the source of information. It's a blight on the US and it's assertion that it's a democracy.
Freeman15

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 11:09 pm
@kmchugh,
kmchugh;37173 wrote:
First of all, I’d be curious as to exactly why you see the FISA as unconstitutional. But, since this is a debate on the PATRIOT Act, I’ll leave that alone for now.

The section you reference seems to have a lot of people with no legal background up in arms, not realizing that it has long been a staple of US jurisprudence. As a US Army Counterintelligence Agent, beginning in 1983 (a few days before the PATRIOT Act came into being), much of what I did was actually covered by Title 18 of the United States Code. If you look at Title 18, Part 1, Chapter 121, subsection 2705, as well as at Chapter 73, subsection 1510, paragraph (b), you will see that there are long standing rules about disclosure of criminal investigation to the subject of those investigations. You can find the USC at the Cornell Law School website.

There have been challenges to those laws, but the Supreme Court has upheld the constitutionality of those prohibitions. And since constitutionally, the SCOTUS has been designated as the agency with the responsibility of interpreting the Constitution, and determining the constitutionality of laws, these laws are by definition constitutional. And these laws have been in existence since at least 1983, when I first became a CI Agent. So, there is nothing really new about section 215 at all. At most, it only slightly expands what has already long been a staple of US jurisprudence. And I’m not really even sure that’s true. I seem to recall that there were legal decisions that made it illegal for any record holding agency to notify the subject of an investigation that their records were examined. In any event, the illegality of third party notification is already long settled US case law.

Such prohibitions only make sense. Records reviews, searches, surveillance, and the like are investigative tools, nothing more. For some, a warrant is required, while for others, no warrant is required (see expectation of privacy). But, for most investigations, they are only a part of the job. And in most cases, they are not the end of the investigation. However, if the subject of the investigation is informed of law enforcement interest before the investigation is complete, at the very least the subject will become far more circumspect in his/her actions. At worst, the subject may flee to complete the contemplated criminal activity elsewhere, or under greater cover. When dealing with terrorism, such flight could be more than disastrous.

This highlights a problem I see with many who claim the PATRIOT Act is unconstitutional. Such claims demonstrate that the claimant lacks historical knowledge of US law, and has a limited understanding of the Constitution, and the rules and laws surrounding the determination of what is and is not constitutional. In the end, the SCOTUS is, by constitutional law, the ultimate arbiter of what is or is not constitutional. Therefore, whatever decision they render is constitutional. You may or may not like their decision. They may or may not be wrong, and the decision may or may not later need to be overturned. But, by definition, any decision they render must be constitutional.

I'm right on the money actually. The decision in Doe v. Gonzalez (US 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals) held that NSL's (letters requiring ISP's to grant the feds access to their clients accounts and acitivities without telling said clients) were unConstitutional as applied under the Reauthorization of the Patriot Act in 2005. The decision has yet to be appealed to the Supreme Court, and as such is de facto law.

FISA is unConstitutional because it permits searches without warrants, clearly a violation of the fourth amendment. People like to think the Constitution is complex, it isn't.
92b16vx

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 02:10 am
@Freeman15,
Freeman15;37407 wrote:
People like to think the Constitution is complex, it isn't.

Nope, it sure isn't. The real danger in the Patriot Act, and FISA are the precendents they set in our willingness to let the government, and the agencies there of take more control of our lives and security under the guise of protecting us from the boogeyman.
kmchugh

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 06:14 am
@92b16vx,
Could you please reference me to the specific finding in Doe v Gonzalez? Seems to me the 4th Amendment challenge there was the use of unreasonable force in executing a warrant. In fact, the specific raid challenged in the case occurred prior to the enactment of the PATRIOT Act, and therefore the act would not be applicable. The court would have to find constitutionality or lack thereof based on the laws in force at the time of the raid.

As to FISA, it deals specifically with the government's power to conduct surveillance on foreign powers and their agents. Like it or not, the Constitution applies only to US persons. The legal definition of US person includes native and naturalized citizens, legal resident aliens, and certain corporate entities. The Constitution does not apply to foreign powers or to those in the US illegally, which only makes sense. Otherwise, deportation of illegal immigrants would be a legal process, further jamming up the US court systems. POW's would also be affected, allowing them to make writs of habeus corpus.

Wiretaps and surveillance conducted under FISA in the US are under the jurisdiction of the FISA court, and are subject to warrants.
92b16vx

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 07:23 am
@kmchugh,
kmchugh;37436 wrote:
Could you please reference me to the specific finding in Doe v Gonzalez? Seems to me the 4th Amendment challenge there was the use of unreasonable force in executing a warrant. In fact, the specific raid challenged in the case occurred prior to the enactment of the PATRIOT Act, and therefore the act would not be applicable. The court would have to find constitutionality or lack thereof based on the laws in force at the time of the raid.

This one?

http://www.aclu.org/images/asset_upload_file201_25657.pdf
Drnaline

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 08:11 am
@kmchugh,
kmchugh;37436 wrote:

As to FISA, it deals specifically with the government's power to conduct surveillance on foreign powers and their agents. Like it or not, the Constitution applies only to US persons. The legal definition of US person includes native and naturalized citizens, legal resident aliens, and certain corporate entities. The Constitution does not apply to foreign powers or to those in the US illegally, which only makes sense. Otherwise, deportation of illegal immigrants would be a legal process, further jamming up the US court systems. POW's would also be affected, allowing them to make writs of habeus corpus.

Wiretaps and surveillance conducted under FISA in the US are under the jurisdiction of the FISA court, and are subject to warrants.
Thanks for clearing that up. Great posts from a person who has actual working knowledge.
0 Replies

Volunteer

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 09:27 am
@kmchugh,
It seems to me we are at war.

War is governed by the International Law of War, not the US Constitution. The Law of War is an International Teary which is part of US law when it is ratified. The US did not ratify the portion of the International Law of War that categorizes terrorists and their supporters as combatants.

If one is an unlawful combatant, then they have placed themselves outside the law, of war or of the country in which they operate.

Attempting to use civil or criminal law developed to govern citizens of a society to prosecute war is like using the pointy end of a flathead screwdriver to pound in a ten penny nail.

This war is an extension of the Cold War. Even the proxies are the same. The difference is our mind set.

In the United States, the people who serve the people are the people. If you do not work for the government, you may have a distrust of those who do. Why??? People who work as civil servants are just like you, attempting to do the best they can with the resources they are provided by you. This idea that you can't trust institutions in a civil society is directly from the communist play book to destroy US and western society. Wake up and realize we must trust each other. "Trust, but verify." That is the only way we can win this war.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 09:48 am
@Red cv,
Red;37346 wrote:
Here lies my concern with the Patriot act; the government using it to catch career criminals and not terrorist. Wire tapping and spying and what not on mob bosses, who cares well eventually they will start turning their spy network toward the unwashed masses to silence those who speak out against these agencies. I do not trust any government with my freedom, they squander our rights to further their agenda and gaining more power is always the goal of BIG Governent. Unconstitutional, I don't care if it's constitutionally okay because it's immoral. If they can't catch and track terrorist or criminals using current laws then they aren't doing their job. I don't think it's a stretch of my imagination to assume future leaders would pluck their critics off the street or blackmail opponents using the Patriot act as the source of information. It's a blight on the US and it's assertion that it's a democracy.

Anyone who breaks our laws should be chased down and locked up. This includes illegal immigrants, mafiosos, terrorists and anybody else. IF YOU BREAK THE LAW, YOU GO TO JAIL.
0 Replies

Freeman15

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 10:41 am
@kmchugh,
kmchugh;37436 wrote:

FISA demands warrants be obtained, though it demands they be obtained AFTER a search has been conducted. If it only applies to foreign entities, why would we need warrants?
wvpeach

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 08:25 pm
@Red cv,
Red and I agree on something at last.

[SIZE="4"] This![/SIZE]

good post Red

Red;37346 wrote:
mlurp

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 11:41 pm
@wvpeach,
Debating what? This is a price we will someday come to be sorry we allowed!!!. Did you or your family or friends or your state legislators want this. Were we asked?
In this day and age with communications so fast why is this crap allowed. It is another attack upon the people of the middle class and those lower if not all Americans.
0 Replies

kmchugh

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 04:54 am
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;37441 wrote:

Thanks, I was looking at the wrong Doe. Sorry about that. This decision is not saying the PA, or any portion is unconstitutional. What is happening here is that both parties in the case have come to the court saying "hey, they have amended the PA, and therefore the plaintiff's original complaint is moot." The court agrees, and that portion of the suit is appropriately vacated. No ruling is made on the constitutionality of the unamended version of the PA, and both the parties to the original lawsuit agree that the amended version is constitutional.

Sorry, I am short of time this AM. Gotta get ready for work, but that decision did not hold that the PA, or any portion thereof was unconstitutional.
0 Replies

kmchugh

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 06:33 pm
@Freeman15,
Freeman15;37513 wrote:
FISA demands warrants be obtained, though it demands they be obtained AFTER a search has been conducted. If it only applies to foreign entities, why would we need warrants?

To cover wiretaps needed in the case of a foreign agent or power in contact with US persons.

Edited to add: And to ensure court oversight.
kmchugh

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 06:48 pm
@kmchugh,
Now, back to Freeman’s original cited constitutional objections.

Freeman15;36889 wrote:
Sec. 213: Delays the disclosure of a warrant until "a reasonable period of its execution". Who decides what's reasonable?

Usually, in making the application for a warrant, there will be a provision included for delayed notification, and the application will specify the period of time of the delay. At that point, the court determines what is reasonable. Again, this is not something new. Delayed notification of the execution of a search warrant has long been a staple of US jurisprudence, and has been allowed by Title 18 of the United States Code. In fact, section 213 spells out exactly when notification can be delayed, and that such delay must be court authorized:
Quote:
`(b) DELAY- With respect to the issuance of any warrant or court order under this section, or any other rule of law, to search for and seize any property or material that constitutes evidence of a criminal offense in violation of the laws of the United States, any notice required, or that may be required, to be given may be delayed if--
`(1) the court finds reasonable cause to believe that providing immediate notification of the execution of the warrant may have an adverse result (as defined in section 2705);
`(2) the warrant prohibits the seizure of any tangible property, any wire or electronic communication (as defined in section 2510), or, except as expressly provided in chapter 121, any stored wire or electronic information, except where the court finds reasonable necessity for the seizure; and
`(3) the warrant provides for the giving of such notice within a reasonable period of its execution, which period may thereafter be extended by the court for good cause shown.'.

Such a delay only makes sense, in light of the fact that the execution may not be the end of the investigation. As with third party notification rules, if the subject of an investigation were to learn of the fact that they were under suspicion before the investigation could be completed, the potential for flight is greatly increased.

This is actually a greater protection than afforded by the Constitution, in that the Constitution makes no requirement for notifying the subject of an investigation of the execution of a legally obtained warrant.
0 Replies

kmchugh

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 04:56 am
@kmchugh,
Freeman15;36889 wrote:
Sec. 106: Unconstitutionally allows the president to use military force without Congressional Oversight and strips non-citizens of their Constitutional rights.

Again, there is nothing new in this provision of the PA. And again, the full text of the actual powers granted to the president are contained in theUnited States Code.
0 Replies

Crito

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 05:45 am
@kmchugh,
To invoke the War Powers Act requires a declaration of war by congress. There has been no such declaration. The "war" in Iraq is completely illegal and the only reason the "Patriot" Act (a quite traitorous one to be sure) is needed is because the powers that be know they've committed crimes and they're trying to retroactively absolve themselves.

And yes, congress did authorize the use of military force against those responsible for 9/11. That's a police action, not a war, and Iraq had no involvement anyways.