What is a good web site to learn History? I want to become .

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 06:11 pm
What is a good web site to learn History? I want to become stronger in this subject any suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 857 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 06:16 pm
Are you familiar with the A2K Portal? There are a lot of sites that would accomplish just what you want:

Link to the History Section of the A2K Portal
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 07:14 pm
I can't say this enough: Read, read, read.

What part of history interests you most? For some historical studies there are prerequisits if you intend to dig very deep, or become especially expert in the field. Languages are probably the most common prerequisites. Latin, Greek, and Hebrew are important if you want to read sources in their original.

If you haven't a particular field of focus yet, then begin by reading some of the many fine compilations in English. The Durant series is not a bad place to start learning the general outlines of World History. A good grounding in the general outline of human history will stand you in good stead later when you narrow your focus to a more particular field.

Some historians are so finely focused that they devote their whole career studying a single battle, or diplomatic conference, or the evolution of daily life in a single village over a decade. Open your ears when that sort of scholar begins to declaim on his specialty and you will realize how little you know. There are a number of generalists who often write here at A2K. Setanta is a fine historian with a good grasp of detail over a pretty large area/time. Visit often and you will soon be able to find kindred souls.

BTW, how are your self-improvement projects coming along? Are you reading a whole lot more than before? I hope that you are writing a thousand, or so words each day to help with grammar and vocabulary.
0 Replies

MisterEThoughts

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 07:17 pm
Thank You, Asherman yes i have been reading and writing quite a lot. I am also spending time playing chess and playing piano. But i will definitely lean into what you said.

Thank You.
0 Replies

MisterEThoughts

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 07:18 pm
thanks phoenix also thanks a lot
0 Replies