We have met the enemy, and it moooos

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 07:43 am
Got a good chuckle out of this one.

James Lileks

In another display of pitch-perfect priorities, the U.N. has released its findings on cow flatulence. There's quite a lot of it.

The 400-page study, $27 million of which probably went to Saddam Hussein for old times' sake, discovered that the planet's livestock, including 1.5 billion cattle, produce 18 percent of greenhouse gases. Apparently the beasts of the field do nothing but wander around all day asking their brethren to "pull my hoof." Every time a cow feels a small sense of relief, a polar bear goes through the ice.

Or will, eventually. So livestock give off more greenhouse gases than cars. Eliminate the internal combustion problem, and you'd still have to deal with numberless tons of ruminant redolence floating into Gaia's celestial nostrils. We're off the hook: If global warming is organic, doesn't that make it OK?

Of course not. You can infer the report's purpose from its title: "Livestock's Long Shadow." Meat-eating and the industries required to sustain it are the actual villains, and the list of sins is enormous. As the Independent newspaper put it, the damage ranges "from acid rain to the introduction of alien species, from producing deserts to creating dead zones in the oceans, from poisoning rivers and drinking water to destroying coral reefs."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 858 • Replies: 2
No top replies

markx15

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 11:12 pm
@Drnaline,
Quote:
produce 18 percent of greenhouse gases

And what may I ask you produces the other 82%? I wonder how much of that we are responsible for, and how much is flatulence related, I mean we do have 6 billion humans, you get the picture... Talk about money wasted on such a research, and they say there in none to spare for medical care in Africa, neither on water treatment, its not like clean water matters...
Drnaline

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 11:06 am
@markx15,
markx15;8274 wrote:
And what may I ask you produces the other 82%? I wonder how much of that we are responsible for, and how much is flatulence related, I mean we do have 6 billion humans, you get the picture... Talk about money wasted on such a research, and they say there in none to spare for medical care in Africa, neither on water treatment, its not like clean water matters...
Quote:
And what may I ask you produces the other 82%?

http://www.safeclimate.net/business/images/understanding_carboncycle.jpg

Quote:
I wonder how much of that we are responsible for, and how much is flatulence related, I mean we do have 6 billion humans, you get the picture...

We are not responcible for much. Six billion humans as opposed to how many cows or even any herbivore that eats grass.

Quote:
Talk about money wasted on such a research, and they say there in none to spare for medical care in Africa, neither on water treatment, its not like clean water matters

Not near as much money that is waisted on the sky is falling mentality. How much money have you sent to aid in medical care in africa? People donate more then any government could ever hope to provide. Charity starts at home. Our government is not responcible for aiding the world if it's outside our interest.
0 Replies