Hamas Victory Turmoil

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 04:27 am
Any thoughts on the ramifications of the Hamas victory ??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,814 • Replies: 35
No top replies

Brent cv

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 11:54 am
@Curmudgeon,
More chaos, more bombings, more crap.
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 01:09 am
@Curmudgeon,
Some believe that they will have to moderate in order to rule , and thus will be more amenable to peace .
Others ( and these I agree with ) think that now that they are in power and will have a "legitimate" government , then Israel might not hesitate to bomb them , either in retaliation or pre-emptorily .
Brent cv

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 01:11 am
@Curmudgeon,
Curmudgeon wrote:
Some believe that they will have to moderate in order to rule , and thus will be more amenable to peace .
Others ( and these I agree with ) think that now that they are in power and will have a "legitimate" government , then Israel might not hesitate to bomb them , either in retaliation or pre-emptorily .

Israel has got their hands full with Iran and Hamas.
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 01:17 am
@Curmudgeon,
And if Iran and Hamas act together , then Israel must retaliate , and we will be involved , I guarantee .
0 Replies

Brent cv

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 01:25 am
@Curmudgeon,
We can not afford to do that... as much as it may be required of us... we are stretched thin as it is... economically, politically.....
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 01:42 am
@Curmudgeon,
Would you leave Israel to it's own defense ?
Brent cv

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 02:16 am
@Curmudgeon,
I said we can't afford to do it, nothing about leaving them to their own defense Wink

Sorry but if we take the attitude we just start kicking everyones ass we got to have some kind of plan on what to do here when our economy collapses and the american people vote Hilary Clinton into office. Cause if Bush keeps attacking other countries, regardless of how "warranted" the attacks are the American people are going to get tired of seeing their Sons and Daughters coming home in body bags. We are not leaving Iraq anytime soon and Iran and Hamas are flirting with us...
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 02:44 am
@Curmudgeon,
Perhaps if we would use the air power we have instead of pussy-footing around , we would not have so much trouble putting down an insurrection . The Iraqui Army seems to be growing in size and ability , and we are already starting to "draw down" troop numbers in Iraq .
Whatever happened to "war is hell" ? Since when do we have to sidestep everything so as to not offend people ?
War takes a toll on both sides , I agree , but the need for Democracy in the Middle East is a laudable goal , don't you think?
Brent cv

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 02:51 am
@Curmudgeon,
Curmudgeon wrote:
Perhaps if we would use the air power we have instead of pussy-footing around , we would not have so much trouble putting down an insurrection . The Iraqui Army seems to be growing in size and ability , and we are already starting to "draw down" troop numbers in Iraq .
Whatever happened to "war is hell" ? Since when do we have to sidestep everything so as to not offend people ?
War takes a toll on both sides , I agree , but the need for Democracy in the Middle East is a laudable goal , don't you think?

You are not trying to convince me you are trying to convince the 50+ million people who voted against you in 2004 that going into another war is a good thing.

That 50+ may grow even larger in 2008 if it keeps up.

I feel that we have pussy footed around in Iraq myself and I blame Bush and his administration for that. The plan after the first invasion was inadequate at best. Our soldiers simply do not have the best equipment... period.
tumbleweed cv

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 08:48 pm
@Brent cv,
I'm not surprised Hamas won the election. By all accounts it was a fair election. They were chosen by the people, so they are the key to peace in that region .

Bush was claiming he won't talk to terrorists. Well, it appears there is no choice. Bush has done little, if anything to promote peace in the Middle East since he came into office. Up to this point, he has taken the hands off approach which is why I don't think he will be much help in the future.

As strange as it seems, Hamas actually does a lot for the Palistinians. They provide a lot of social services for the people. They don't see Hamas the same as the rest of the world.

The people wanted a change. I wouldn't hold that against them . They had basically two choices, go with the way things were, at a standstill , same old violence, poor living conditions, family and friends dying daily, poverty.

Or vote for a proven friend of the people, their protector and provider. Someone who represents change.

Someone will talk to Hamas. Nobody wants to be first.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 10:05 pm
@Curmudgeon,
Quote:
Our soldiers simply do not have the best equipment... period.

They why are the odds so stracked against the terrorists. 2000 plus for us, how many for them?
Brent cv

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 12:02 am
@Drnaline,
Drnaline wrote:
They why are the odds so stracked against the terrorists. 2000 plus for us, how many for them?

We do not have the best that we could give them. I did not say they were worse off than the terrorists :rolleyes:
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 07:00 am
@Curmudgeon,
They are the best equipt military in the world. There is none finer. For every fighter there is ten behind him. No one else has that kind of support.
tumbleweed cv

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 07:43 am
@Drnaline,
I think the problem in Iraq is we counted on the " Shock and Awe" approach a bit too much. The Bush adm. thought blowing the place to hell would make everyone drop and surrender. As we were coming up from the South, they were running North. They had lots of time to hide and plan their attacks. I believe that if we could have advanced from Turkey, the outcome might have been different. We would have kept them from spreading out so much.

We have the best equipment and best trained army in the world. The problem in Iraq was we weren't prepared for gorilla warfare. The IED's are what seems to be killing a lot of soldiers. We didn't have proper body armor, and our combat vehicles didn't have enough armor to protect the occupants from IED's.

Bush counted on the Iraq people dancing for joy upon our arrival. The only ones dancing were the looters. They had a great time there for a few days.They were even seen making of with the kitchen sink.

We weren't prepared for the insurgents.We underestimated our enemy IMO.
Brent cv

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 11:27 am
@Drnaline,
Drnaline wrote:
They are the best equipt military in the world. There is none finer. For every fighter there is ten behind him. No one else has that kind of support.

Hi,

That does not mean that we can not provide better to make them safer. In war why settle just for better and not best? There are many ways to improve the current weapons and armor we use.
Brent cv

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 11:28 am
@tumbleweed cv,
tumbleweed wrote:
I think the problem in Iraq is we counted on the " Shock and Awe" approach a bit too much. The Bush adm. thought blowing the place to hell would make everyone drop and surrender. As we were coming up from the South, they were running North. They had lots of time to hide and plan their attacks. I believe that if we could have advanced from Turkey, the outcome might have been different. We would have kept them from spreading out so much.

We have the best equipment and best trained army in the world. The problem in Iraq was we weren't prepared for gorilla warfare. The IED's are what seems to be killing a lot of soldiers. We didn't have proper body armor, and our combat vehicles didn't have enough armor to protect the occupants from IED's.

Bush counted on the Iraq people dancing for joy upon our arrival. The only ones dancing were the looters. They had a great time there for a few days.They were even seen making of with the kitchen sink.

We weren't prepared for the insurgents.We underestimated our enemy IMO.

I agree witht hat :yup:
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 06:54 pm
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
Hi,

That does not mean that we can not provide better to make them safer. In war why settle just for better and not best? There are many ways to improve the current weapons and armor we use.

Hello, I agree, they could be better. But todays army is the safest it has ever been. In four years we have lost less then three thousand lives. Still less then we lost in our last terrorist attack. The best costs money, that and having the dems detune our military for the last twenty years does have it's effect.
Brent cv

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 08:04 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline wrote:
Hello, I agree, they could be better. But todays army is the safest it has ever been. In four years we have lost less then three thousand lives. Still less then we lost in our last terrorist attack. The best costs money, that and having the dems detune our military for the last twenty years does have it's effect.

Yet the people we are losing could be cut down drastically if someone in Washington gave a ****
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 09:05 pm
@Curmudgeon,
They do give a ****, just not at the expence of something else. IMO.