Death of Liberal media bias ?

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 02:26 am
Follow this link - Peggy Noonan on Opinion Journal of the Wall Street Journal
Friday, January 20, 2006 12:01 a.m. EST

"I don't think Democrats understand that the Alito hearings were, for them, not a defeat but an actual disaster. The snarly tone the senators took with a man most Americans could look at and think, "He's like me," and the charges they made--You oppose women and minorities, you only like corporations and not the little guy--went nowhere. Once those charges would have taken flight, would have launched, found their target and knocked down any incoming Republican. Not any more. It's over."

http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/pnoonan/?id=110007835
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,449 • Replies: 26
No top replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 10:52 am
@Curmudgeon,
Good article that speaks volumes in todays media war. The news papers feel it most with the largest decline in circulation. You will hear them claim it is because of the internet. But there internet suscribtions are not nearly as high as the loses in hard print. Just a sign of whats to come if they do not change there ways. There is a reason for conservative popularaty in new Medias like Faux and blogging. It's what people want to hear. Not the Gloom and Doom, which is pretty much all you hear from all the rest. Unlike mice and rats, the liberal elite will not abandon there sinking ship. OK with me.
0 Replies

Brent cv

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 12:54 am
@Curmudgeon,
Honestly I am don't see the democrats as being any worse as the republicans right now.

You hear more of them right now because they are fighting to get back into office. They are the ones out on the limb right now.

Do you realize that republicans have had complete control of congress since 2002?

That is an incredibly long time and in this time frame we have seen two republican majority leaders step down from their leadership role. Trent Lott being the first one and then now the person that replaced him has stepped down. Be it temporary or not he has stepped down.

Whether or not he did anything "wrong" or not he has still down nothing to improve this country.

What has the Iraq war done for the United States of America other than tear it apart? Great, the Iraqis are "free".

Guess what? Iran isn't.

What do we do about Iran? Do we attack them too when they decide to not do what we say?

Do we pull out of Iraq only to go knocking on their neighbors door?

When does the insanity stop and when do we say come home and lets deal with the MANY problems we have here first.

I know hindsight is 20/20 but we now see that we did not have to go into Iraq when we did. It was probably the WORST time to do so. We should have stayed out of Iraq for the time being and put our efforts into Afganastan. After we got done in there we should have pulled out and then focused on getting Bin Laden and preventing a new attack like 9/11.

You know I turn on the news everyday and you can moan about the bias all you want but this country is in a world of hurt right now!

There is so much uncertainty for the future. The country is divided and the current administration is doing NOTHING to help this.

I just do not know what to think. I know I will not be voting for either party in the next elections. They are nothing but hypocrites and they do not care about this country one bit.

Some people think I am wasting my vote if I vote Libertarian but you know I am tired of voting for a group that has proved itself time and again to not hold up to its promise and not stay true to our consitution. They do not constrain on spending one bit. Campaign finance reform is non existent.

I will not vote for someone that spends billions of dollars to become elected only to spend the next 6 years sending us farther in debt and trying to make it seem like they are cutting spending with their bullshit budgets.

Liberal bias or not, this country needs to wake up
Drnaline

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 09:28 am
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
Honestly I am don't see the democrats as being any worse as the republicans right now.

You hear more of them right now because they are fighting to get back into office. They are the ones out on the limb right now.

Do you realize that republicans have had complete control of congress since 2002?

That is an incredibly long time and in this time frame we have seen two republican majority leaders step down from their leadership role. Trent Lott being the first one and then now the person that replaced him has stepped down. Be it temporary or not he has stepped down.

Whether or not he did anything "wrong" or not he has still down nothing to improve this country.

What has the Iraq war done for the United States of America other than tear it apart? Great, the Iraqis are "free".

Guess what? Iran isn't.

What do we do about Iran? Do we attack them too when they decide to not do what we say?

When does the insanity stop and when do we say come home and lets deal with the MANY problems we have here first.

I know hindsight is 20/20 but we now see that we did not have to go into Iraq when we did. It was probably the WORST time to do so. We should have stayed out of Iraq for the time being and put our efforts into Afganastan. After we got done in there we should have pulled out and then focused on getting Bin Laden and preventing a new attack like 9/11.

You know I turn on the news everyday and you can moan about the bias all you want but this country is in a world of hurt right now!

There is so much uncertainty for the future. The country is divided and the current administration is doing NOTHING to help this.

I just do not know what to think. I know I will not be voting for either party in the next elections. They are nothing but hypocrites and they do not care about this country one bit.

Some people think I am wasting my vote if I vote Libertarian but you know I am tired of voting for a group that has proved itself time and again to not hold up to its promise and not stay true to our consitution. They do not constrain on spending one bit. Campaign finance reform is non existent.

I will not vote for someone that spends billions of dollars to become elected only to spend the next 6 years sending us farther in debt and trying to make it seem like they are cutting spending with their bullcrap budgets.

Quote:

Not long at all. The dems had it for decades before they lost it.

Quote:

Trent stepped down because of a remark he made, and following our own ethics rules he stepped down. As well as Delay, again our own ethics rules. The Dems follow no rules. They have no ethics. Shillary can use "plantation" in a speech but Trent can't use it in a joke?

Quote:

Tear it apart? If i remember right every member of Congress was for it. Every Representative was for it except one. And the vast majority of the nation itself. So the tearing apart has come from the critics of the war. Not the war itself.

Quote:

We attack. They renigged on an agreement they made with the world not just us. No we don't pull out of Iraq, next door is the best place to launch and attack. The insanity will never stop as long as there are countrys not willing to fill there contractual word.

Quote:

You watch to much liberally biased news. When you watch a source that is biased the other way you get alot better forecast. They've got you believing what they want you to believe.

Quote:

I will not vote for someone that spends billions of dollars to become elected only to spend the next 6 years sending us farther in debt and trying to make it seem like they are cutting spending with their bullcrap budgets.

The country is devided at the hand of the Liberal. Just as they did for Vietnam. And you seem to be following the party line. Gloom and Doom will be your cry untill you decide to do something other then whine. Why do you discount botrh partys when you don't even know who is running? Your vote is waisted only if you don't use it. This coutry has woken up, it came when the repugs took over. What your saying now we said thirty years ago. It's our turn to drive, some just don't like where were going. You didn't think the Liberals were gonna just let us have it did you? What do you think will happen if the Libertarians take over, the rest will just lay down? Your setting yourself up for a world of hurt!!!
Drnaline

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 11:57 am
@Curmudgeon,
Hear is a damn good example. The New York Times. http://www.townhall.com/opinion/columns/brucebartlett/2006/01/24/183537.html

One of the things that drives Republicans crazy is the media’s enormous double-standard in how it covers various scandals. While day after day we read on the front pages about how awful it was that a Republican congressman played golf with some lobbyist—as if that is the epitome of unethical behavior—cases of actual criminality by Democrats are buried on the back pages.
For example, on Jan. 12, the New York Times ran yet another article on page one linking Rep. Tom DeLay, Republican of Texas, and convicted lobbyist Jack Abramoff, along with two columns about Abramoff on the inside pages. There was absolutely nothing new in any of these articles.

That same day, however, there was real news about a former aide to Rep. William Jefferson, Democrat of Louisiana, who pleaded guilty the day before to bribing the congressman. The aide, Brett Pfeffer, said that his former boss had demanded a stake in Pfeffer’s business in return for his support. He also alleged that Jefferson had insisted that two of his relatives be put on Pfeffer’s payroll.

Brent cv

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 01:25 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline wrote:

Trent stepped down because of a remark he made, and following our own ethics rules he stepped down. As well as Delay, again our own ethics rules. The Dems follow no rules. They have no ethics. Shillary can use "plantation" in a speech but Trent can't use it in a joke?

I do NOT care about what the Democrats rules are. The fact is two majority leaders have stepped down in 4 years! That is crazy and only causes the party to be looked down on more than it already is.

Quote:

Tear it apart? If i remember right every member of Congress was for it. Every Representative was for it except one. And the vast majority of the nation itself. So the tearing apart has come from the critics of the war. Not the war itself.

They have a right to be critical of this war. Again I ask what has this war done for America? How has it made us safer?

Do you honestly believev attacking Iraq and stretching our military thin while countries like Iran tell us they will basically do what they please with their Nuclear project makes us safer?

Quote:

We attack. They renigged on an agreement they made with the world not just us. No we don't pull out of Iraq, next door is the best place to launch and attack. The insanity will never stop as long as there are countrys not willing to fill there contractual word.

We CANT ATTACK! We do not have the resources to go at ANOTHER country for 10 more years! We aren't even CLOSE to securing Iraq. So what if they have a consitution, if we leave there and attack Iran, Iraq is screwed to become what it was pre 2003

Quote:

You watch to much liberally biased news. When you watch a source that is biased the other way you get alot better forecast. They've got you believing what they want you to believe.

Are you kidding me? The only news I watch is Foxnews :rolleyes:

I do not even watch TV, I open up foxnews in my browser when I want to see the latest news.

It just kills me that if you disagree with Bush you are automatically a liberal that watches CNN 24/7.

Quote:

The country is devided at the hand of the Liberal. Just as they did for Vietnam. And you seem to be following the party line. Gloom and Doom will be your cry untill you decide to do something other then whine. Why do you discount botrh partys when you don't even know who is running?

It does not matter who is running when you have a Republican majority for 4 years and the country still sucks ass. They have passed no legislation to make this country better. They have done nothing to reduce spending. The Patriot Act is a joke.

They still blow my money.

They still spend billions of dollars to win the election.

They still do not give a **** about me.

Quote:

Your vote is waisted only if you don't use it. This coutry has woken up, it came when the repugs took over. What your saying now we said thirty years ago. It's our turn to drive, some just don't like where were going. You didn't think the Liberals were gonna just let us have it did you? What do you think will happen if the Libertarians take over, the rest will just lay down? Your setting yourself up for a world of hurt!!!

Not setting myself up for anything. All I want is common sense and decency in the White House.

Is that so much to ask?
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 03:46 pm
@Curmudgeon,
Quote:

They still do not give a crap about me.

And you think Badnarik is going to be so much different?
Drnaline

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 04:48 pm
@Curmudgeon,
Quote:
I do NOT care about what the Democrats rules are. The fact is two majority leaders have stepped down in 4 years! That is crazy and only causes the party to be looked down on more than it already is.

Sounds weird to me. You care about the repugs stepping down twice because it is one of our self rule, but you don't care about the DemocRats rules or lack of them? Neither were convicted of any wrong doing. So what's the beef? Democrats don't have a rule about race baiting or being indicted of a supposed crime but we are the bad guy because we follow our own rule? A democrat has no such rule therefore can commit any racebait or be indicted and get convicted and still hold there position, i just don't get it.
Quote:
Again I ask what has this war done for America? How has it made us safer?

Avenged three thousand dead. If it was only for a while it bound us together until the Libbys started getting there way. How many nights do you lay awake at night not feeling safe? Do you wonder on what particlular night a terrorist is gonna bust through your door, I think not. Four years have gone by, and no new attacks. You can believe OBL when he says it's because he has deemed it so or you can believe are commander in Chief in that it is because of our efforts. If it's OBL you believe in you'll die hiding in a corner, it its bush you may go down fighting on our own territory or over there. Iran can say and do whatever they want to a point. After that point has been reached then it will not be up to them. Iran is about ready to fold tits up. They need to hold on to Syria and any other thing they can grab. I see it as a death throw of which they have no control.

Quote:
It just kills me that if you disagree with Bush you are automatically a liberal that watches CNN 24/7.

No I do not believe that but when you start resighting the Lib party line, you gotta be getting it from some where IMO you ain't getting it from Faux.

Quote:
It does not matter who is running when you have a Republican majority for 4 years and the country still sucks ass. They have passed no legislation to make this country better. They have done nothing to reduce spending. The Patriot Act is a joke.

They still do not give a crap about me.

woow is me. Pick your head up. I expect to read this **** at the DU but not here. It's not becoming of you.

Quote:
Not setting myself up for anything. All I want is common sense and decency in the White House.

Is that so much to ask?

No it's not. But how long are you prepared to ask before you either kill yourself or do some thing about it? If you expect such grand illusion out of Badnarik, how can the guy ever expect to ever plaese you. IMO your being unrealistic. He will probably never reach your lofty goal. Given our predicament how long would you think it would take him to set this coutry straight, I think way more then fout years. Say eight, twelve? You can have all the decency in the world, it don't count for much if your dependent on the rifraff of the world to get any thing done.
Brent cv

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 07:55 pm
@ndjs,
ndjs wrote:
And you think Badnarik is going to be so much different?

I KNOW democrats and republicans aren't so why waste my time with them?
Brent cv

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 08:06 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline wrote:
Sounds weird to me. You care about the repugs stepping down twice because it is one of our self rule, but you don't care about the DemocRats rules or lack of them? Neither were convicted of any wrong doing. So what's the beef? Democrats don't have a rule about race baiting or being indicted of a supposed crime but we are the bad guy because we follow our own rule? A democrat has no such rule therefore can commit any racebait or be indicted and get convicted and still hold there position, i just don't get it.

I don't care because I should not have to vote for the lesser of the two evils. So what if republicans look better on paper with their ethics. They still can not manage

Quote:

Avenged three thousand dead. If it was only for a while it bound us together until the Libbys started getting there way. How many nights do you lay awake at night not feeling safe? Do you wonder on what particlular night a terrorist is gonna bust through your door, I think not.

I didn't think about that the NIGHT AFTER 9/11. Four years have gone by, and no new attacks. You can believe OBL when he says it's because he has deemed it so or you can believe are commander in Chief in that it is because of our efforts.[/quote]

I do not believe attacking Iraq made us safer. I believe it got rid of one man that no one liked and has been a thorn in our side for 10+ years. Am I glad to see him gone? Yes. Do I think it was needed at the time we did it? No.

Quote:
If it's OBL you believe in you'll die hiding in a corner, it its bush you may go down fighting on our own territory or over there. Iran can say and do whatever they want to a point. After that point has been reached then it will not be up to them. Iran is about ready to fold tits up. They need to hold on to Syria and any other thing they can grab. I see it as a death throw of which they have no control.

I am not scared of terrorism.

Quote:

No I do not believe that but when you start resighting the Lib party line, you gotta be getting it from some where IMO you ain't getting it from Faux.

:uhh: I am not reciting anyones lines. Our troops are stretched very thin, the republican party, along with the democratic party are lieing mult millionaires who don't give a **** about me, and we can not afford another war should we be attacked again or Iran enriches their uranium. You tell me they won't do it but you do not know that.

Quote:

woow is me. Pick your head up. I expect to read this **** at the DU but not here. It's not becoming of you.

I am not stupid, I realize that I am not going to get a saint in office that just cares about everyone and just does a great job.

What I do want is someone who does try to make this country better and does not tell me one thing and then do another.

When they tell me they are going to reduce government spending while they spend 1 billion + dollars jus to get elected that just pisses me off.

Quote:

No it's not. But how long are you prepared to ask before you either kill yourself or do some thing about it? If you expect such grand illusion out of Badnarik, how can the guy ever expect to ever plaese you. IMO your being unrealistic. He will probably never reach your lofty goal. Given our predicament how long would you think it would take him to set this coutry straight, I think way more then fout years. Say eight, twelve? You can have all the decency in the world, it don't count for much if your dependent on the rifraff of the world to get any thing done.

I was exaggerating with that. I just want someone that attempts to give a **** and that manages the country in a way that shows this. Not a double standard, lets reduce government spending while I spend 1 billion dollars on getting your vote at the same time not debate actual topics just tear the other person to shreds.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 10:14 pm
@Curmudgeon,
Quote:
So what if republicans look better on paper with their ethics. They still can not manage

If it were just paper they would still be in office. They adheared to what was on the paper. That is the difference.

Quote:
I am not scared of terrorism.

Neither am I. I am willing to die for what i believe as well as they. If terrorism worked you would not feel safe. But you do, so in a way i would say you are safer. They solidified your tenacity. IMO, not weakened it. Which is what they were trying to do. So safer i would say you are.

Quote:
I am not reciting anyones lines. Our troops are stretched very thin, the republican party, along with the democratic party are lieing mult millionaires who don't give a crap about me, and we can not afford another war should we be attacked again or Iran enriches their uranium. You tell me they won't do it but you do not know that.

I don't know alot of things. I don't know what you are refering to by that last statement? "You tell me they won't do it but you do not know that."

Quote:
I am not stupid, I realize that I am not going to get a saint in office that just cares about everyone and just does a great job.

What I do want is someone who does try to make this country better and does not tell me one thing and then do another.

When they tell me they are going to reduce government spending while they spend 1 billion + dollars jus to get elected that just pisses me off.

I know your not. That saint is what many thought was Bill Clinton. So you have to be carefull of what you ask for. Problem i think is most think they are talking to them in general. Politics makes strange bedfellows, i think you've heard that before. To get anything you think is worthwhile iI gaurantee you will have to give up something you don't want to lose. That is the way democracy works. What do you do when you can't afford to lose anything? How do you attain your goal? Compromise at a cost. Like it or not politics will forever cost money, you'll never get in office without it.

Quote:
I was exaggerating with that. I just want someone that attempts to give a crap and that manages the country in a way that shows this. Not a double standard, lets reduce government spending while I spend 1 billion dollars on getting your vote at the same time not debate actual topics just tear the other person to shreds.

We can wish, but alas. In the real world it is all but impossible. But it should not stop you from trying. It'll not stop me. You must come to the realisation though that this may take along time. Maybe more time then you or I have. Any body elect or not if given the money will spend it. It's a viscious circle but the only circle we've got.
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 09:50 pm
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
I KNOW democrats and republicans aren't so why waste my time with them?

Not really a good way to pick your presidential candidates...
Brent cv

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 10:03 pm
@ndjs,
ndjs wrote:
Not really a good way to pick your presidential candidates...

Why? Not allowed to give someone else a vote because I believe the other two guys don't give a ratsass about trying to improve anything but their wallet?

I do not believe Badnarik is the greatest thing ever but I do agree with a lot of what he says and believe so why not vote for him instead?

I could see your point if I was voting for someone like Nader.... but this guy is along the same lines of my views.
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 11:06 pm
@Curmudgeon,
I'm not telling you what you are/are not allowed to do, cuz nobody can do that, haha.

I'm just saying that he won't win.
Brent cv

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 11:29 pm
@ndjs,
ndjs wrote:
I'm not telling you what you are/are not allowed to do, cuz nobody can do that, haha.

I'm just saying that he won't win.

He probably won't but if I am voting for who I think is the better canidate (I have yet to see anyone on either side that I care about repub/dem wise) then I guess it doesnt matter if he has a chance or not. I vote for the best canidate in my mind, not against someone else. I actually like the guy from what I have seen so far
NaterG

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 04:10 am
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
He probably won't but if I am voting for who I think is the better canidate (I have yet to see anyone on either side that I care about repub/dem wise) then I guess it doesnt matter if he has a chance or not. I vote for the best canidate in my mind, not against someone else. I actually like the guy from what I have seen so far

I can see your viewpoint on that, and in a perfect world, its a great philosophy. Sadly, we live in a far from perfect world, and I would rather use my vote to make sure the lesser of two evils does make it into the Whitehouse. Sad, yes. Smart, perhaps, perhaps not, I never claimed to be a genius. Does it make me feel better? Yes, because not only am I voting against the man I do not want in the office, I am adding to the one that I would want in office that stands a real chance of making it.
Drnaline

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 01:24 pm
@Curmudgeon,
He may not be Mr. Right. but for sure he is Mr. Rightnow.
0 Replies

Brent cv

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 08:18 pm
@NaterG,
NaterG wrote:
I can see your viewpoint on that, and in a perfect world, its a great philosophy. Sadly, we live in a far from perfect world, and I would rather use my vote to make sure the lesser of two evils does make it into the Whitehouse. Sad, yes. Smart, perhaps, perhaps not, I never claimed to be a genius. Does it make me feel better? Yes, because not only am I voting against the man I do not want in the office, I am adding to the one that I would want in office that stands a real chance of making it.

It's just mentality like that that pushes the small guy down. People do not even bother and assume. I honestly believe we will see a nice increase in votes for Libertarian in 2008. I believe he will win in Texas this year as well
Drnaline

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 09:03 pm
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
I believe he will win in Texas this year as well
Care to wager a dollar?
Brent cv

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 09:55 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline wrote:
Care to wager a dollar?

Sure Very Happy

Have you read up on him? Do you have any problems with his beliefs? Just a question looking to hear feedback on what others think of him.

I honestly do not see a HUGE difference in view points from most republicans. There are differences but they are not those of the repubs/dems