Whose bright idea was this?: Genetically engineered pet fish

Monger

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 03:19 am
Whose bright idea was this?: Genetically engineered pet fish debated
By Kenneth R. Weiss
Los Angeles Times

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2001798325.jpg
+enlarge photo

Tropical zebra fish have been infused with the gene of a sea anemone that makes them glow fluorescent red. The GloFish are expected to hit the U.S. market on Jan. 5, but not if environmentalists opposed to transgenic species have their say.Whose bright idea was this?: Genetically engineered pet fish debated
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,875 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Monger

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 05:04 am
My thoughts:

Cool!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 05:11 am
How do they taste with chips?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 05:29 am
Do you call them "chips" in Canada? No French/Freedom fries?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 05:33 am
We don't go in for the American nonsense here, Wilso. However, technically, the British 'chips' are indeed 'fries', and 'crisps' are 'chips'. I just happen to like 'chips' for 'fries', especially as in "going to the chippy." Love that phrase....
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 05:40 am
We didn't have "fries" until Macca's started. Thankfully it's still chips at all the local takeaways.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 05:44 am
On Sunday mornings, we always watch the Coronation Street marathon, and they are always "going to the chippy." I fell in love with that...'french fries' are actually 'pont-neuf' potatoes, which refers to the size they are cut into, the standard 1/4 inch strip, and the traditional cooking method is to first blanch them in a medium temperature oil to cook them, then let them cool and fry in a hot oil to crisp and brown. That is the best method for 'fries' ever invented. Also, peeled potatoes will crisp up better than non-peeled.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 05:46 am
Coronation street? phooey. I hate that show!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 05:50 am
I barely see my wife these days Wilso. Sometimes you gotta take one for the team. I will say, though, that it is much better than any American soap opera. Thank heaven I don't have to watch any of those. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 05:59 am
cavfancier wrote:
I will say, though, that it is much better than any American soap opera.

I agree, but that doesn't say a lot for US soaps does it? Thankfully here, they're on during the day when I'm at work.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 06:06 am
Nope, it doesn't. I work at home, and prefer Star Trek reruns to American soaps....horrid, vapid stuff there.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 07:35 am
Er yes, but back to the frankenfish you two!!! LOL!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 07:40 am
MMM....Frankenfish and Chips....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 07:44 am
Frankenfish and silicone chips?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 07:48 am
Well, its less traumatizing to the fish than injecting them with color...which they do to glassfish...which escapes back out of them slowly but surely, you know- if they dont die first. They have a very short life span due to this.
Because this seems to be a novelty on the rise, Im all for better treatment of the fish.
I still think its odd, I mean, this makes fish more interesting to have? Theres pretty fish out there, just more work..boy are some people lazy! Wink
0 Replies

RicardoTizon

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 02:35 am
As far as I can see, I do not see any harm in the marketing of the fish. I wonder if it has any effect on a predator fish that eats them? If it has some serious effect I object to the sales and marketing.

I have been eating genetically altered male Tilapia fish and I really like that stuff. I am starting to wonder does this have any known effects on humans?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 03:25 am
I can't see what the problem would be there. As far as I know, these genetic modifications means that these fish will have DNA whose nucleotide sequence is different to the non-modified species. However, I can't see how this causes a problem when eating, as regardless of the sequence, our digestive enzymes will simply cleave these nucleotides up the way it would any another DNA we digested. Really need farmerman here. I believe he's qualified in this area.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 07:09 am
not really but I always have an opinion. Any aberrant genome is a source for yet unknown consequences. I heard a seminar just the other evening re: what are some statistical possibilities of altered kinase sequences captured by another genome (all predictably possible since chaos governs just about anything witn 1 few Billion sites)

If these fish can breed fast enough, if set loose, such that their obvious poor fitness would be goverened by their bright color and easy seen by color sighted predators. If they could breed fast enough, the fitness they could confer would maybe be something totally unrelated to their neon color, like maybe they would become really fast breeders and could take over a niche thats occupied by commercially valuable fish.
The consequence we always target on is often not the one that is affected. Thats the fun of multiple outcomes in genetics and evolution.

I loved how this thread got on a Fries direction. That too is sort of how unexpected consequences can be predicted by expansions of unrelated possibilities. I love how the example presented itself almost as a proof of concept.

Now I gotta go eat my home fries , scrapple and fresh eggs, just outa the chickens butt.
0 Replies

Rezman

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 01:14 pm
I've got some of the non-modified version of these fish in my tank. Zebra Danios. They can't survive outside of tropical waters, and most likely would be devoured quickly if introduced to those waters.

I'd pay $5 for one of these in my tank. It'd be cool.
0 Replies

RicardoTizon

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 08:48 pm
Rezman,

Your avatar looks like a person who would eat these fishes alive.
0 Replies