Saying "yes" to regular exercise says "no" to stroke.

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 06:47 pm
Makes obvious sense, since it is all part of the cardiovascular system, but I thought this worth popping in here....

Stroke Journal Report
09/19/2003

Saying "yes" to regular physical activity says "no" to stroke

DALLAS, Sept. 19 ? Moderate and high levels of physical activity are associated with reduced risk of stroke, according to a meta-analysis published in today?s rapid access issue of Stroke: Journal of the American Heart Association.

Researchers know that physical activity can reduce the risk of hypertension and heart disease, which are both risk factors for stroke. But it has been unclear if physical activity can directly alter stroke risk, said lead author Chong Do Lee, Ed.D., department of sports and exercise sciences at West Texas A&M University in Canyon, Texas.

Researchers pooled data from 23 international epidemiologic studies published between 1966 and 2002 to examine the overall association between physical activity and the incidence of stroke and stroke death. Some of the studies used questionnaires to rate activity level.

While the definitions of low, moderate and high activity varied widely among studies, the analysis found that, overall, moderately active people had a 20 percent lower risk and highly active individuals had a 27 percent lower risk of stroke or stroke death than low-active people. Both ischemic (due to blockage) and hemorrhagic (bleeding) strokes occurred less often in active people.

?To reduce stroke risk, public health agencies and clinicians should encourage sedentary patients to engage in regular and moderate to high-intensity physical activity,? Lee said.

In an accompanying editorial, Michael Brainin, M.D., professor of neurology at Donauklinikum and Danube University in Austria, noted that the major limitation of the study is the lack of clear definitions of intensity. However, ?the pooled results show unequivocally that high-level physical activity should become a global recommendation.?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,067 • Replies: 19
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 07:14 pm
However the overall best reducer of all the risk factors is the proper selection of your ancestors
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 07:22 pm
LOL! Indeed. very difficult to do from this "end' of time, though!
0 Replies

nells1961

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 05:59 pm
SAY NO TO STROKS
READING YOUR ARTICLE I WOULD HAVE TO SAY IT WOULD NOT MATTER HOW MUCH EXCERCISE YOU TAKE IF IT IS IN THE GENES IT WILL HAPPEN.

I TOOK A BIG STROKE AT 38 YEARS OLD AND I WAS A VERY ACTIVE PERSON. WITH THREE SONS I HAD TO BE.BUT STROKES DO RUN IN THE FAMILY, SO IT WOULD NOT BE PREVENTED. THAT'S WHAT I BELIVE ANYWAY
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 06:03 pm
don't shout - you'll wake me up!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 06:04 pm
I thnk you can be pre disposd to stroke or anything else but exercise, diet, lifestyle can definitely hasten........ or keep the wolf from the door.

Good article Miss buns.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 06:06 pm
Margo - perhaps Nells doesn't see too well and needs the big type....? I can't remember the username, but someone on the previous site had this problem.

Ok

I'm going to excersize tonight. I have a stationary bike in the living room that doesn't ever get used.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 06:11 pm
Maybe the problem is that it is stationary. Top-of-the-line models are quite portable.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 06:12 pm
And quite expensive.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 06:17 pm
I'm exercising my patience. You think that'll help?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 06:19 pm
excersizing your patients?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 06:26 pm
No, them I exorcise.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 06:27 pm
I guess it's time to try running with the dogs again. I had it worked out rather nicely with one dog, the second one is a bit too fond of twisting herself around my ankles.

mulllllling
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 08:02 pm
I make time everyday for exercise. Mostly aerobic workouts hoping to fend off the chances of heart disease and stroke,(and calories from rich deserts).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 08:07 pm
I exorcize the impatiens every autumn when they start to get all leggy and yellowing.

ok. I did it. Power yoga. It's actually a pretty good workout. I cycled for not very long beforehand.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 08:34 pm
LOL littlek, do you exorcize (as in exorcist) your patients, or do you exercise them?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 08:43 pm
Pdog exercizes his patience, I exercize my patients, Pdog exorcises his patients and I exorcise my impatiens.

Or something like that.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 12:49 am
Stop it, all of you! It is too hot here to talk about exercise.....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 11:10 am
Poked around the house last night. Now I know where the old tv is, the creaky vcr and the tae-bo tapes. This weekend I'm going to set everything up in one spot. Gotta try and find a mat to work on, as my knees are still aching from the last fall on the ice I had. But Tae-bo, I'm coming back to you!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 04:09 pm
Sigh - gonna be too hot to walk until after the time when I am going out tonight. Gym???? Hmmmmm....
0 Replies