Definition of Marraige

nelsonn

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 03:50 pm
Now that the MA supreme court has expanded the definition of marraige (in my opinion correctly), I wonder by what logic marraige can be limited to only two people. If three or more, whatever their sex, wish to enter a loving relationship, why should the law prevent them?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,836 • Replies: 11
No top replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 04:38 pm
Shew!!....Gotta point. But could you imagine the court being baffled by 1 of 3 wanting out of the marriage and how to split up the assest? Its bad enough when 2 people divorce.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 08:17 am
No kidding. A line needs to be drawn somewhere.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 08:23 am
This argument really irks me. It's dumb. Get married or don't, whatever your pleasure.
0 Replies

Logger

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 02:51 pm
Marriage of 3 or more?
Dear Nelsonn,

In Utah, a man serving time for having married 5 wives, went back to court after the Massachussetts case was decided, and raised the isues, asking for his conviciton to be overturned. On a TV special, I recall that the other wives had given permission for subsequent wives to be added.

In some sects of the Moslem religion marriage of up to 4 wives is permitted, providing that the previously married wives give permission.

I personally have enough trouble just trying to get along and keep up with my one wife, without starting thinking about other arrangemments.

What are your ideas of how that Idea would work?

Blessings,

Logger
0 Replies

nelsonn

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 09:23 pm
Logger,
The rationale for four wives is simple:
one is obviously not enough,
with two, they will always fight with each other.
with three, two wil gang up on the other,
with four, each will have a friend.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 06:07 am
Well...I had to come back to this....

BUT....what if it was a woman with 4 husbands? How would that be treated?

Some religions can accept a man with more than one wife, but do you honestly think they'd accept a woman with more than one.....that would pretty much classify her as a.....well you know the term...lol
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 06:10 am
Who cares? A woman with four husbands, a man with four wives. . . why not just go the group route way? Form a corporation, and each spouse is a member of the company. It's really not all that different from how traditional marriages are.

Personally, I wouldn't want two wives. But a co-husband to take care of her when I don't want too, well, now, that's not all that bad of an idea. . .
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 06:13 am
It just hit me when I clicked the button....and I'm straying off the topic here to some extent....

But a man with more than one wife.....that had children, would know those children were his. They would definetely know who thier mother was.

But a woman with more than one husband, and having given birth to a few children would be one confusing situation. Could you imagine the cost of divorce .... the Paternity tests?....who belongs to who? Alimony?.....how would that be handled?
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 06:19 am
All of this could be handled at the time of birth with a simple blood test.

Besides, as far as supporting the kid, if you have five men and four women living together, and one of the men takes off, I'm pretty sure the kid is going to be cared for. That still leaves eight adults in the household to support the kid. Visitation should even be an issue, it should be a given.

I suspect too, that a group marriage, or with more than one male and one female, might in the long run be more stable. If a person wants companionship, but only part of the time, needs to move about, but wants a place to call home, then a group marriage might be ideal. If it fits into the 'big picture' for the rest of the family. Also, I don't think that a group that is married would willy-nilly just add people to the marriage 'just cuz'. There would be incentive to make sure that the match was good. Let me put it this way: If another man was coming into my marriage, I'd make damn sure I got along with him before letting him join the family.
0 Replies

nelsonn

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 04:16 pm
Polyandry
Polyandry (one woman with several husbands was (Is?)quite common and accapted in Tibet.

Nelsonn
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 06:24 pm
What happens if the Supreme Court of MA decides to OVERTURN its decision in the future. Right pretty pickle them folks will be in.
0 Replies