Is Bush a War Criminal?

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 06:40 pm
I see this term being thrown at him all the time. What do you think? If you believe he is, please state why in detail. What he has done to be placed in the same ranks as Slobodan Milosevic and Sadaam Huessien.

If you believe he isn't simply state why people believe that he is.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,071 • Replies: 41
No top replies

ndjs

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 07:36 pm
@Brent cv,
Haha, I bet half the people labeling Bush as a war criminal couldn't define war criminal.
Lasombra

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 08:17 pm
@ndjs,
I don't believe that he is a war criminal.

I can't begin to think why the people who think he is, believe what they do.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 06:24 am
@Brent cv,
My answer is NO. I think some believe he is, is because they believe what they hear from other unproven sources. Famous bumper sticker- Bush lied, people died. I have not met any who could prove within a reasonable dought that he is so. And that's what they need to do to make it stick. That's how it works in this country, innocent till proven guilty.
tumbleweed cv

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 07:26 am
@Drnaline,
It's all according to who considers his act a criminal offense. In order to try Bush as a war criminal, every leader who sent troops to Iraq would be considered a war criminal also. That's not going to happen.

Bush invaded a sovereign nation in defiance of the UN. That's a criminal offense.Very Happy

Hang the idiot.:439:
0 Replies

tumbleweed cv

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 08:31 am
@Drnaline,
Drnaline wrote:
My answer is NO. I think some believe he is, is because they believe what they hear from other unproven sources. Famous bumper sticker- Bush lied, people died. I have not met any who could prove within a reasonable dought that he is so. And that's what they need to do to make it stick. That's how it works in this country, innocent till proven guilty.

Try telling the detainees the government rounded up after 9-11 that.Very Happy
Brent cv

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 10:28 am
@Brent cv,
I'd like to point out what some raving lunatic said on another site:

Webmaster Forum - View Single Post - Chinese president will visit Bill Gates - NOT Bush

What does everyone have to say to that?
tumbleweed cv

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 10:50 am
@Brent cv,
If it's true, let Bill Gates provide security for them.

Sounds strange, a leader on an official visit not meeting with Bush .
0 Replies

Brent cv

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 01:29 pm
@Brent cv,
He is meeting Bush, the person that made the thread jumped the gun and provided a extremely biased reference because they were in such a hurry to put down Bush once again.
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 09:45 pm
@Brent cv,
That guy said the US withdrew from the Geneva convention?

We never even signed that.
Drnaline

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 05:50 am
@tumbleweed cv,
tumbleweed wrote:
Try telling the detainees the government rounded up after 9-11 that.Very Happy
I will if you tell the family's the same of the people that were in the twin towers.
Brent cv

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 09:59 am
@Drnaline,
Drnaline wrote:
I will if you tell the family's the same of the people that were in the twin towers.

But you said Innocent until proven guilty. That is not the case as people are being held for extended periods of times with no charges being brought on them.
Lasombra

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 03:47 pm
@ndjs,
ndjs wrote:
That guy said the US withdrew from the Geneva convention?

We never even signed that.

No but we bacame a party to it by ratification Feb. 8th 1955
Drnaline

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 06:00 pm
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
But you said Innocent until proven guilty. That is not the case as people are being held for extended periods of times with no charges being brought on them.
Quote:
Innocent until proven guilty.

Only goes if you are a citizen. I know what you will say next. Some are US citizens. But by my definition of it, you are not a citizen if you conspire against the country. wether you entered legally or not. In a war if you are detained by the military you are only subject to a tribunal, not a US court. You do not need to apply charges to keep them, sometimes as long as they like, all the way to life imprisonment. Combatants do not have many rights in our eyes, much less Constitutional ones.
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 06:53 pm
@Lasombra,
Lasombra wrote:
No but we bacame a party to it by ratification Feb. 8th 1955

Do you have any sources for this? Not so much I don't believe you, but I can't seem to find anything. :lightbulb:
Curmudgeon

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 04:40 am
@Brent cv,
The Avalon Project : Convention Between the United States of America and Other Powers, Relating to Prisoners of War; July 27, 1929

Convention between the United States of America and other powers, relating to prisoners of war. Signed at Geneva, July 27, 1929; ratification advised by the Senate, January 7, 1932; ratified by the President, January 16, 1932, ratification of the United States of America deposited with the Government of Switzerland, February 4, 1932; proclaimed, August 4, 1932. "

"AND WHEREAS, the said Convention has been duly ratified on the part of the United States of America and the instrument of ratification of the United States of America was deposited with the Government of Switzerland on February 4, 1932;

AND WHEREAS, in accordance with Article 92 thereof, the said Convention became effective in respect of the United States of America six months after the deposit of its instrument of ratification, namely, on August 4, 1932;

Now, THEREFORE, be it known that I, Herbert Hoover, President of the United States of America, have caused the said Convention to be made public to the end that the same and every article and clause thereof may be observed and fulfilled with good faith by the United States of America and the citizens thereof.

IN TESTIMONY WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the seal of the United States of America to be affixed.

DONE at the city of Washington this fourth day of August in the year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and thirty- two, and of the Independence of the United States of America the one hundred and fifty-seventh.

HERBERT HOOVER

By the President:
W. R. CASTLE, Jr
Acting Secretary of State."
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 05:01 am
@ndjs,
No , I don't think Bush is a war criminal .
Others think so because they insist he had ulterior motives for going into Iraq . Any act of war by our military is then a war crime to them .

On the Geneva Convention as relates to detainees in Gitmo , I wonder how many of them qualify as members of an army of a nation that is a signatory to the Convention ?

If you read the whole paper referenced above , you will find many provisions very difficult to live up to due to the the detainees non-alliance with a defined nation or government .

On the whole , I think we have done as much as possible to live up to the provisions of the Geneva Convention , with the exception possibly of treatment of prisoners at Abu Grahib , if those charges are substantiated at all in truth , and proven to be "policy" of the US military , rather than the obscene acts of out of control soldiers .
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 11:13 am
@Brent cv,
His date was wrong then.

That looks an awful lot like the Geneva Convention, and it was in Geneva, but IS it THE Geneva Convention?
Lasombra

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 11:38 am
@ndjs,
ndjs wrote:
Do you have any sources for this? Not so much I don't believe you, but I can't seem to find anything. :lightbulb:

There's a PDF file listing all the countries:
States party to the Geneva Conventions and their Additional Protocols</TITLE><META NAME="Description" CONTENT="Geneva Conventions of 12 August 1949 and their Additional Protocols of 8 June 1977">
<META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="Humanitarian law,Treaties and customary law,Info resources,IHL databases,National implementation,Treaties and States parties"><!--<TITLE>States party to the Geneva Conventions and their Additional Protocols
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 11:44 am
@Brent cv,
^ Thanks. Know why we haven't become party to Article I or II?