Should it be illegal to burn the American flag?

jatuab

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 11:18 pm
@Curmudgeon,
Curmudgeon wrote:
But Darseid thinks if we sort of ignore it it will go away .
Will it go away like four-letter words went away , now that so many are allowed in all media ?
Or like suggestive language and pictures have gone away now that we allow them in movies and in public ?
I am not an old fuddy-duddy , nor a prude by any means , but standards have been lowered enough in my opinion .

I think that ignoring things to a sense will raise the likelihood of their disappearance, but if flag burning goes away, another equally offensive form of protest will surface. If every incident involving people of two different races stops being publicized as a racial issue (Kobe's maid, Barry's 'roids, and some stupid NC stripper's alleged rape), people will stop discounting the severity of an incident everytime Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton show up. Likewise, if we were to stop freaking out at every person who burns a flag, people wouldn't get as much attention through doing so.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 06:23 am
@Brent cv,
I agree.
0 Replies