Should it be illegal to burn the American flag?

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 11:47 am
Simple question. Do you believe it should be illegal to burn the American flag on American soil? If you do believe so what should be the punishment for this crime?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,631 • Replies: 41
No top replies

tumbleweed cv

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 12:38 pm
@Brent cv,
It's a symbol of America. If you don't like it, go somewhere you do like or appreciate.

It's a symbol of freedom .
The freedom of expression is a right, not a symbol. :439:
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 05:09 pm
@Brent cv,
Do I think you should have your ass soundly kicked for it? Hell yes.

Do I think we have any grounds to make it illegal? not really. I'd love to though.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 08:13 pm
@Brent cv,
I think it should be legal. There is not much more a poinent way of saying how you feel.
Lasombra

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 07:58 am
@Drnaline,
I think it should be perfectly legal to burn an American Flag.

Afterall, I know many proud Americans here in Florida that would stand in line to burn this flag and then take turns pissing on it.
http://www.browardflag.com/images/34starcircle.gif
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 11:14 am
@Brent cv,
^ What flag is that?
0 Replies

Brent cv

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 12:35 pm
@Brent cv,
34starcircle

Not sure what he has against it though....
tumbleweed cv

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 12:59 pm
@Brent cv,
Flag burning will proabably always be legal, but why an immigrant would want to burn one is beyond me. Usually when a group burns our flag it's because it represents everything about America someone doesn't like.If people don't like our laws or policies, go to a country you do agree with.

I don't believe a true American patriot would piss on, or burn a flag. Too bad they wouldn't wrap themselves in it when they torch it. Very Happy
Lasombra

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 01:49 pm
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
34starcircle

Not sure what he has against it though....

Personally, I don't have anything wrong with a flag flown by the badguys during the War of Northern Aggression, but like I said, I know people who would love to burn it just because of what it symbolizes.

It surprises me, because according to your location it lists you as from Alabama. Don't they still teach the WoNA in schools there?
0 Replies

Lasombra

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 01:51 pm
@tumbleweed cv,
tumbleweed wrote:
Flag burning will proabably always be legal, but why an immigrant would want to burn one is beyond me. Usually when a group burns our flag it's because it represents everything about America someone doesn't like.If people don't like our laws or policies, go to a country you do agree with.

I don't believe a true American patriot would piss on, or burn a flag. Too bad they wouldn't wrap themselves in it when they torch it. Very Happy

I've burned about 10 flags in my life.... only because that is how you properly dispose of them.
tumbleweed cv

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 02:18 pm
@Lasombra,
That isn't the type of flag burning we are discussing. Very Happy
ndjs

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 04:24 pm
@Brent cv,
Jesus Christ why does everybody bring that up when a discussion about flag-burning is going on? Everybody knows that's how you properly dispose of a flag. Congratulations, you did it.

Sorry, pet peeve of mine.
ndjs

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 04:28 pm
@Brent cv,
The 34 star flag has nothing to do with the American flag. That was a long time ago, and unlike a lot of people, I can let **** that happened before go.

Yeah, the "War of Northern Aggression" or The Civil War, as the rest of the nation calls it, DOES have everything to do with the US as it is now, but that particular design doesn't.
tumbleweed cv

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 05:00 pm
@ndjs,
I agree, that was a long time ago . That era is a seperate discussion.
0 Replies

Brent cv

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 06:45 pm
@ndjs,
ndjs wrote:
The 34 star flag has nothing to do with the American flag. That was a long time ago, and unlike a lot of people, I can let **** that happened before go.

Yeah, the "War of Northern Aggression" or The Civil War, as the rest of the nation calls it, DOES have everything to do with the US as it is now, but that particular design doesn't.

I agree completely.
0 Replies

Lasombra

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 07:24 pm
@tumbleweed cv,
tumbleweed wrote:
That isn't the type of flag burning we are discussing. Very Happy

It's an American Flag, isn't it? Isn't it a symbol of our land?

Sorta like the Stars & Bars are too? :eek:
Lasombra

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 07:32 pm
@ndjs,
ndjs wrote:
The 34 star flag has nothing to do with the American flag. That was a long time ago, and unlike a lot of people, I can let crap that happened before go.

No matter how you feel about the Civil War, how can you be so childish to say that a historic flag has nothing to do with America today?

It's *because* of that flag that we are America today..... just like the Gadsden "Don't Tread On Me" flag. How can you just throw away your history?

What about the 48 star flag? It's less than 60 years old. At what point do our flags become obsolete?
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 07:44 pm
@Brent cv,
Because that flag doesn't stand for anything right now, today. Our history, fine. **** it, burn my history. I still have it. Nothing you can do to a piece of fabric can damage my history.

However, while the same above argument could be used for burning the American flag today, I still feel that the current American flag means much more. To burn that is to burn your freedom, to spite everything that gives you the opportunity to even do that.

slightly OT, but do you find that name-calling works for you in other aspects of your life?
Lasombra

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 07:49 pm
@ndjs,
ndjs wrote:
slightly OT, but do you find that name-calling works for you in other aspects of your life?

Better actually, because my RL penis is much larger than my internet one:p :cool:
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 07:51 pm
@Brent cv,
I just hope it's not invisible like your online status.

BUT that's getting even farther off topic than I ever intended.

:backtotopic: Very Happy