Philosophers think they know it all - they are never wrong.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 12:33 pm
@manored,
manored wrote:

Fido wrote:

Quote:
Perhaps you do unconsciously what I do consciously, and reject the notion of useless knowledge...

I think I get what you mean by "useless knowledge". Something like "knowledge you find useless" isn't it? But what I do not get is what it means to reject the notion of useless knowledge. Does that mean that you do not believe there is such a thing as useless knowledge? But I thought you did think so. Maybe you don't mean that you reject the notion of useless knowledge, but that you reject useless knowledge, but not the notion. But then I am puzzled by what you may mean even by that. What does it mean to reject useless knowledge? Does that mean any more than only that you do not like useless knowledge? What else could that mean?

Please do explain.
Fido

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 04:39 pm
@kennethamy,
Some times a piece of information, a fact, can be like a stepping stone when joined with other seemingly useless facts to help a person ford a flood of ignorance... Some minds plod, making certain of each step before moving on... If for example, one examines the past which will always be more in darkness than in light, one may never fairly say they know, but still at times ones mind can have great leaps of insight if only the safety net of certainty is left behind... The more one knows of all subjects, the more insight is possible in a single subject...
kennethamy

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 04:44 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

Some times a piece of information, a fact, can be like a stepping stone when joined with other seemingly useless facts to help a person ford a flood of ignorance... Some minds plod, making certain of each step before moving on... If for example, one examines the past which will always be more in darkness than in light, one may never fairly say they know, but still at times ones mind can have great leaps of insight if only the safety net of certainty is left behind... The more one knows of all subjects, the more insight is possible in a single subject...

So, what does it mean to reject useless knowledge? What , exactly, do you do in order to reject useless knowledge? Suggestion: when you spot a piece of useless knowledge, just shake your heed vigorously. How about that?
manored

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 10:35 am
@kennethamy,
Were you talking to me on the first post of this page or the whole thing was an accident?
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 12:31 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

Fido wrote:

So, what does it mean to reject useless knowledge? What , exactly, do you do in order to reject useless knowledge? Suggestion: when you spot a piece of useless knowledge, just shake your heed vigorously. How about that?

Clearly some people think there is such a thing as useless knowledge or they would learn it... Do you know how to rebuild a transmission??? All I can tell you is that I have done it, and though transmissions have moved on from that point, perhaps I could too, with the right manual...To reject any knowledge as useless means some one thinks they know the future, and what the future will demand... Some people never learn to change a flat tire, and in some places it is possible to never have one because the train, taxi or bus is the onlyreasonable transportation... But some people who drive never learn to check the oil or change a tire... What are they thinking...

There were times during my short spell at university when if I planned to take a course, I would ask around to find some one to recommend it... I found more than a few people who said: I forget it as soon as I walk out the door... What did their education they paid so dearly for amount to??? I hate to admit it but thirty years gone and I have still my college text books and some times refer to them... Maybe i will never learn it, and never forget it... I guess I have a terrible short term memory and a good long term memory, but I am a terrible student as a result...

I know at my age that I will never make any money with what I know, and may never use most of the knowledge I have even to make a point... No one can say what knowledge they may some day need... If they do think that, then it is out of ignorance which breeds certainty that makes them say so... But, people do act like the know what they need... I don't.. I learn all I can, and never pass up an opportunity to learn more...
kennethamy

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 12:42 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

Fido wrote:

Clearly some people think there is such a thing as useless knowledge or they would learn it... Do you know how to rebuild a transmission??? All I can tell you is that I have done it, and though transmissions have moved on from that point, perhaps I could too, with the right manual...To reject any knowledge as useless means some one thinks they know the future, and what the future will demand... Some people never learn to change a flat tire, and in some places it is possible to never have one because the train, taxi or bus is the onlyreasonable transportation... But some people who drive never learn to check the oil or change a tire... What are they thinking...

There were times during my short spell at university when if I planned to take a course, I would ask around to find some one to recommend it... I found more than a few people who said: I forget it as soon as I walk out the door... What did their education they paid so dearly for amount to??? I hate to admit it but thirty years gone and I have still my college text books and some times refer to them... Maybe i will never learn it, and never forget it... I guess I have a terrible short term memory and a good long term memory, but I am a terrible student as a result...

I know at my age that I will never make any money with what I know, and may never use most of the knowledge I have even to make a point... No one can say what knowledge they may some day need... If they do think that, then it is out of ignorance which breeds certainty that makes them say so... But, people do act like the know what they need... I don't.. I learn all I can, and never pass up an opportunity to learn more...

Right, so what does it mean to reject useless knowledge. How do you go about doing that?
manored

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 05:49 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

Right, so what does it mean to reject useless knowledge. How do you go about doing that?
Maybe you are watching television and a program about quantum mechanics starts. Maybe you decide you dont need that knowledge and change the channel.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 05:57 pm
@manored,
manored wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

Maybe you are watching television and a program about quantum mechanics starts. Maybe you decide you dont need that knowledge and change the channel.

Well, that you don't need that knowledge does not make it useless knowledge, but I understand what you mean. You mean by "rejecting useless knowledge" that you pay no attention to what you find useless. Fine. Thanks for the explanation.
Fido

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 10:49 pm
@kennethamy,
Could be rejecting the notion that there is any sort of knowledge that is useless...
kennethamy

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 11:10 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

Could be rejecting the notion that there is any sort of knowledge that is useless...

That would mean, of course, that all knowledge is useful knowledge. But that is (to use one of your favorite words) obviously false.
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 12:55 am
@kennethamy,
Ken neth ami, U R WRONG in one of your premises. Does thât mean U R not a Philosopher ? I all depends on major & minor I suppose. Can you stick to your own logic ways please ? Usefulness is not the most important in Live. Obvious to many, many on A2K.
Fido

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 11:23 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

Fido wrote:

That would mean, of course, that all knowledge is useful knowledge. But that is (to use one of your favorite words) obviously false.

Even seemingly useless knowledge, and how can one know what is useless before needing it, will exercise the mind, demand attention, and focus concentration... Children learn what is easily learned... Auto didacts birth themselves into a new reality, head first.. Most of us are somewhere between the two...
kennethamy

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 11:28 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

Fido wrote:

Even seemingly useless knowledge, and how can one know what is useless before needing it, will exercise the mind, demand attention, and focus concentration... Children learn what is easily learned... Auto didacts birth themselves into a new reality, head first.. Most of us are somewhere between the two...

That I know there is a speck of dust on the carpet I am standing on is an excellent candidate for useless knowledge. That it might be useful in other circumstances is, of course, no reason to think that it is useful in the present circumstances.
Fido

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 11:35 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep wrote:

Ken neth ami, U R WRONG in one of your premises. Does thât mean U R not a Philosopher ? I all depends on major & minor I suppose. Can you stick to your own logic ways please ? Usefulness is not the most important in Live. Obvious to many, many on A2K.

Knowledge is the American Express Card of life... No one should leave home without it.... If we can have easily the fruits of all other generation's labor, then feast...The educated who were the progeny of the powerful and wealthy struggled for knowledge that the poor of their ages worked for and died for... The most simple fact we take for granted has blood, gore and crap all over it... All we have to do is shine it up, and call it ours..

Nothing so well testifies to the force of human will like an educated mind, though it takes little of personal effort, and only a little interest and enthusiasm... I often wonder what an education might have made of me... For me, knowledge is a treasure room that I have wandered into where I am in the process of deciding what part to first cart off of what is properly the property of some one wealthy, living a life of ease...
Fido

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 11:46 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

Fido wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

Fido wrote:

That I know there is a speck of dust on the carpet I am standing on is an excellent candidate for useless knowledge. That it might be useful in other circumstances is, of course, no reason to think that it is useful in the present circumstances.

Useless to you... Having pulled up a few carpets I can tell you that your speck is multiplied by the thousands per square foot, that your vacuum only gets the big chunks, and leaves the rest to eat and wear at all the threads until the carpet you paid dearly for looks tired and old...

What is too easily learned is soon forgotten... It is like the gulf of Mexico... The oil company paid little for the lease, almost nothing for the labor and materials, and nothing for the water upon which so many lives depend... If they had paid more, they would have had more respect...
My education, such as it is- was cheap... It is because I bought it with back breaking, life threatening labor that I hold it dear... The thing itself, mostly out of books was a plastic pearl... People valued their empty space more than the books which occupied it... Their trash was my treasure, in fact, my only claim to self respect, since I have little to show for my hard work, and much to show for the light work of reading...
kennethamy

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 11:47 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

Pepijn Sweep wrote:

Knowledge is the American Express Card of life...

In that case what I would like to know is whether it also gives reward points that I can use for my next flight. And how do I calculate them?
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 11:54 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

Fido wrote:

Pepijn Sweep wrote:

Knowledge is the American Express Card of life...

In that case what I would like to know is whether it also gives reward points that I can use for my next flight. And how do I calculate them?

I am not impressed. I do not use AMEX. My first was DC, second GOLD, etcetra
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 12:02 pm
@The Joker006,
Well, it doesn't matter if you have time to argue about it or not, because I know it all, and you're absolutely, positively, without doubt, wrong.

I do find it strange however that you create a thread (which, you know, is designed to instigate discussion) and then spit out some self-important nonsense about how you have to live your life and "ain't got no time to argue about it"!
kennethamy

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 12:14 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

Well, it doesn't matter if you have time to argue about it or not, because I know it all, and you're absolutely, positively, without doubt, wrong.

I do find it strange however that you create a thread (which, you know, is designed to instigate discussion) and then spit out some self-important nonsense about how you have to live your life and "ain't got no time to argue about it"!

Not at all strange if you haven't a clue what else to say about it. It is, as U. might put it, a "discrete ontology". What is strange is (as I have already mentioned) that people have no compunction about talking nonsense even when they are aware it is nonsense. I think they have the idea that if it is about philosophy, nonsense is just the sort of thing to talk since no one should care whether you make sense when you discuss philosophy, least of all, you yourself.
manored

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 12:19 am
@Fido,
kennethamy wrote:

I suppose it depends of the point of view. All knowledge can be used for something, but not all of it is pratically usefull in any activity, unless we advance into the troublesome realm of infinitesimal influences.

Fido wrote:

What is too easily learned is soon forgotten... It is like the gulf of Mexico... The oil company paid little for the lease, almost nothing for the labor and materials, and nothing for the water upon which so many lives depend... If they had paid more, they would have had more respect...
No, I think they would have pictured a bigger suing if something went wrong and made better pipping =)

Zetherin wrote:

As far as I can understand he created the thread for whinningful purposes. Off course, a discussion spawned anyway.

kennethamy wrote:

Oh, it does! The reward points are called "money". To calculate then, just check your bank account.