Philosophers think they know it all - they are never wrong.

talk72000

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 05:31 pm
I knew a substitute teacher who had a Master's in Philosophy. He was very intelligent and we discussed the ideas behind the Ten Commandments that I had written and he read it and had a good discussion. Then one evening He couldn't open the window. It was window. I helped him. Then he was using a pick to remove ice in the ice compartment of the frig. It freaked me out as the pick could puncture the copper coils holding the freon. I asjed him if he took any physics in high school. No, he didn't. He skipped all the math and sciences courses and went to university and got a Master's in Philosophy. He is what I call a tunnel vision intellectual. I wonder how many philosophy majors skipped the hard courses and went into philosophy thinking they can solve all the world's problems and yet avoided the hard courses in high school.
thack45

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 07:54 pm
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:

I knew a substitute teacher who had a Master's in Philosophy. He was very intelligent and we discussed the ideas behind the Ten Commandments that I had written and he read it and had a good discussion. Then one evening He couldn't open the window. It was window. I helped him. Then he was using a pick to remove ice in the ice compartment of the frig. It freaked me out as the pick could puncture the copper coils holding the freon. I asjed him if he took any physics in high school. No, he didn't. He skipped all the math and sciences courses and went to university and got a Master's in Philosophy. He is what I call a tunnel vision intellectual. I wonder how many philosophy majors skipped the hard courses and went into philosophy thinking they can solve all the world's problems and yet avoided the hard courses in high school.
Your teacher's careless actions toward the ice compartment might not in the least inhibit him/her from coming to significant philosophical understandings. Likewise the scientist might not need some particular understanding of philosophy in order to find progress in his field.

This seems to me like a red herring, or are you saying that your teacher's intelligence and success in philosophical academia should be dismissed due to a lacking understanding of thermodynamics?
Fido

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 10:41 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

talk72000 wrote:

I think the mere fact one is thinking is philosophy. This is the way human lifted themselves from the animal stage. The better you are at it the more famously you be and this fame is associated with philosophy. However, people do think about their lot in life and we call it philosophizing.

There was drama in the Calculus and gravity matter with Isaac Newton sparring with Sir Robert Hook, Gottfried Leibniz and Bernoulli. They recognized the supremacy of Newton. Then there was the case between Edison and Tesla over the electric motors. It could go on and on.

So if I am thinking longingly of the great steak I had last night, I am philosophizing?

No... Living in the past is what dead people and dead cows do... To do philosophy requires a window on the future, which is easy enough if you will not hope against hope... The ancients said we were blessed by foresight from our creator, and only when we hope against hope are we blinded... But living in the past is a form of blindness too, and one which does not preclude any other sort...
Fido

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 10:45 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

No, certainly not all people. My reply was re what Dlowan was talking about. Re Robert's later comment, I have had close association with english department faculties, with one friend who ran a psychoanalytic institute, and with a department of medicine. Lots of drama everywhere, however anecdotally one takes my comment. I hadn't caught at the time that the point was about forums.

Tidbit - my father was a philosophy major and poet laureate of his university. I now forget the exact years, but I think he left medical school (one of the boys had to leave to take care of the mother and he was the youngest) in 1926. I always felt lucky, having him as a father, whatever his apparent progress in life.

Drama in many instances is the interplay of personalities, and politics, as is found in any form or institution is the same thing. Politics is how the personality of the group is expressed...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 10:54 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

Reconstructo wrote:

Too much "philosophy" is indeed just noise, but there is a core in the tradition that is indeed worthy. As far as wisdom-for-life goes, we shouldn't writers like Marcus Aurelius or Epictetus or the living example, perhaps exaggerated, of a Diogenes.

On the other hand, the more theoretical philosophers can enrich life less directly, by presenting new interpretations of the human experience that make this experience grander. Unfortunately, much "philosophy" is just an insincere pissing contest, a sad sort of sport for those who are as angry as boxers but not as fit. In my opinion, don't judge philosophy by the negative side of forums. Instead, get a book like Will Durant's Story of Philosophy which is a great introduction. I wish you well and sympathize with your frustration.

What is the criterion of "too much philosophy", and how are the more theoretical philosophers to be distinguished from the less theoretical philosophers? I have a sinking feeling that your more theoretical philosophers, and your philosophers who do too much philosophy are the very same people.

I am certain he meant to say: Too much of philosophy... Everyone is a philosopher... Every person seeks that knowledge needed for survival, and everyone rejects the sort of knowledge that is superfluous to ones survival... One does not need a knowledge of nuclear physics to bake a cake, but if that knowledge were necessary, it is certain that at least a few would know it...
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 11:02 pm
@Fido,
Reconstructo wrote:

One does not need a knowledge of nuclear physics to bake a cake, but if that knowledge were necessary, it is certain that at least a few would know it...

Baking a bread in a gas-oven with the temperature in *F is almost QM to me since I am used to an electric oven and scales in *C. Baking is not a piece of cake !
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 11:25 pm
You know, I never thought philosophy was a very complicated notion - apparently I was wrong. It seems - following this and other threads - that there's a great deal of confusion. In any case, I'd like to add a few comments here, for what its worth.

Rhys Arnold wrote:
I don't take philisophy too seriously it's good for the sayings and that but it's pointless. It's full of people who think they know it all if you enter a discussion with one it never ends! Everything you try and say is never right.

Then you've not the slightest idea what its about. Its about learning, its a way of thinking, its about self discovery and discovering the world around us - fully acknowledging our limitations. It has almost *nothing* to do with discussion - that's a correlary activity. Sometimes it can net in some great insights, but probably 99.99% of the people I run into take it far too debate and argument than anything else. So many egotistical babies - gotta get all upset that someone doesn't agree; to which I ask, so what?

kennethamy wrote:
By the way, I simply don't understand the title of this thread. Where did he get the idea that philosophers think "they know it all".

I'm guessing that's this person's idea of what a philosopher is; that this "getting someone to admit I'm right"-horseshit is what its all about. It sounds to me like this person lost some kind of convince-a-thon and now wants to wallow in self-pity throwing rocks at the first "label" they can find. Maybe not, who knows, that's what it sounds like - typical whining.

Fido wrote:
The examined life isn't worth any more to its owner than the unexamined life...

Maybe a topic for another time, but to me a person is much more likely to give increased value to their life the more they understand themselves and the significance of this or that event, this or that person, this or that experience. The more we thoughtfully ponder, think through and recognize the elements of thought, ethics, knowlegde, theology (hell, even politics) the more each act, each experience, has *increased* value. Perhaps they're not the same thing - but its not a matter of giving ALL or NO value, it's a matter of degrees - that value that the mind gives to what its experienced, through a better understanding.

kennethamy wrote:
It is a kind of bitter resentment born of disappointment that philosophy was not what one expected. It is not at all clear what was expected since it was probably very vague, but at least part of seems to have been that one was expected to post what made sense and wasn't simply free association of ideas, and that expected was that pronouncements be supported by argument. That philosophy was not a kind of free-form expression of random thoughts and feelings seemed a kind of betrayal.

I dunno if I'm agreeing with that you've said here or not, but to my mind it has nothing to do with debating; zero, none, zilch, except to the extent that knowledge and ideas can be passed via such exchanges. That the internet's turned philosophy into a pseudonym for "bitch your heart out" should turn everyone who's honestly studied and worked these issues on their heads.

There's another element your comment reminds me of: Ego and needing to be right. I've seen this a lot: Someone gets an idea in their head that can be loosely associated with some recognizable philosophical ideal. They write a few paragraphs about it, post it to a board and expect the boquets of roses to just come piling in. They're hurt, sullied and emotionally destroyed when they see folks disagree or pick apart their ideas. They get their feelings hurt, say "screw this" and take off.

Then you got those who are all about the famous thing, which I find hilarious. These yahoos will sprinkle their posts about how profound or published they are - what horseshit. There's no thought in anyone's head, whose alive today, that's not been thought a trillion times before (nor that won't be conceived a trillion times again). I really don't believe there's anything original left - not if all could be known and compared. But truthfully, this should be a basis for commonality - a reason to rally around each other. Unfortunately our egos won't allow that - folks ask for criticism then wet their pants when they get it. These aren't philosophers, a philosopher has an OPEN mind; meaning, they leave open the door that others may have opposing ideas that have *real* worth! They speak like they respect someone else's ideas even if - especially if - they disagree with it.

Sometimes these discussions bleed back and forth into the world of the practical, the affectionate or the silly - this is good! This is conversation, this is making touch. The "I'll publish this dictum now you may bow"-crap is just patently embarrassing.

Anyway - your comment got me thinking, so I thought I'd spill it. Thanks

Reconstructo wrote:
Unfortunately, much "philosophy" is just an insincere pissing contest, a sad sort of sport for those who are as angry as boxers but not as fit.

The internet forum frenzy seems to make it out to be that. You're right

But all in all: Philosophy is a structure that helps us all to talk a common talk - relate on topics of personally-important issues that we ALL care about; that's all, nothing more. It is about every-day experience - it must be - otherwise it's pointless. I can't imagine what other purpose it might serve if not to help us in our lives.

There's another element in this topic I'd like to talk on then I'll shut up: Idea Ownership

This is a disability, a problem, something that'll hobble us and every communication we have and it goes like this: If its my idea, and you attack it, you're attacking ME and that's going to piss me off - you'll pay!. The person who feels this way and reacts like that has NO love of wisdom, they want praise and reinforcement. If they truly valued wisdom they might have just the WEE bit of humility - that still small voice in the back of their heads - that says, "This is another mind, I need to listen and understand first, then I can analyze and think about it".

Unfortunately, there are far too many insecure whiners for which this mindset is completely foreign. Given all this, is it any wonder folks wanna blazing sendoff of profound guilt-trip laying? It doesn't surprise me a bit.

Apologies for this seeming rant - I fear we lack humility and a genuine desire to interact civily; we can call it 'philosophy' or chit-chat - the label's not near as important as what we can gain with just a little maturity.

Thanks
0 Replies

manored

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 04:14 pm
@Fido,
kennethamy wrote:

So if I am thinking longingly of the great steak I had last night, I am philosophizing?
Depends of what thoughts you are having.

Fido wrote:

Every person seeks that knowledge needed for survival, and everyone rejects the sort of knowledge that is superfluous to ones survival... One does not need a knowledge of nuclear physics to bake a cake, but if that knowledge were necessary, it is certain that at least a few would know it...
I disagree. I have great interest in many areas of knowledge that are much less important, survival-wise, than certain others that I have no interest into. For example, computers interest me more than medicine does.

Pepijn Sweep wrote:

Baking a bread in a gas-oven with the temperature in *F is almost QM to me since I am used to an electric oven and scales in *C. Baking is not a piece of cake !
If you want something well done, ask someone else to do it for you =)

I just dont like that popular saying, its not a good one in my opinion. Well, I dont like most popular sayings as they have a dogmatic air yet are almost always flawed. Such as "A dog that barks doesnt bite". Say that to my dog! =)

Khethil wrote:

You know, I never thought philosophy was a very complicated notion - apparently I was wrong. It seems - following this and other threads - that there's a great deal of confusion. In any case, I'd like to add a few comments here, for what its worth.
I think it IS a complicated notion, because its very abrangent. You can have a philosophical discussion about anything, you can ponder about anything. And I dont think there is really a clear line about what is and isnt philosopy.

I think philosopy is a form of adquiring knowledge that relies on though, rather than physical experimentation and data collection, what science does.

Khethil wrote:

Fido wrote:

Maybe a topic for another time, but to me a person is much more likely to give increased value to their life the more they understand themselves and the significance of this or that event, this or that person, this or that experience. The more we thoughtfully ponder, think through and recognize the elements of thought, ethics, knowlegde, theology (hell, even politics) the more each act, each experience, has *increased* value. Perhaps they're not the same thing - but its not a matter of giving ALL or NO value, it's a matter of degrees - that value that the mind gives to what its experienced, through a better understanding.
I agree.

Khethil wrote:

There's another element in this topic I'd like to talk on then I'll shut up: Idea Ownership

This is a disability, a problem, something that'll hobble us and every communication we have and it goes like this: If its my idea, and you attack it, you're attacking ME and that's going to piss me off - you'll pay!. The person who feels this way and reacts like that has NO love of wisdom, they want praise and reinforcement. If they truly valued wisdom they might have just the WEE bit of humility - that still small voice in the back of their heads - that says, "This is another mind, I need to listen and understand first, then I can analyze and think about it".

Unfortunately, there are far too many insecure whiners for which this mindset is completely foreign. Given all this, is it any wonder folks wanna blazing sendoff of profound guilt-trip laying? It doesn't surprise me a bit.

Apologies for this seeming rant - I fear we lack humility and a genuine desire to interact civily; we can call it 'philosophy' or chit-chat - the label's not near as important as what we can gain with just a little maturity.

Thanks
I agree, some seek praise or are contaminated by a suspicion of others, and in either case they become blind to the truth of what is said and limit themselves to whinning or making poor, mostly emotionally based defenses of their points.
talk72000

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 04:19 pm
@thack45,
Not lack of thermodynamics but puncturing the coils as it is made of copper a soft metal.
talk72000

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 04:25 pm
@kennethamy,
Day dreaming is how Isaac Newton as a kid helped motivate him to tackle the problem of gravity. He used to look to the heavens, the paths of the moon and sun and all the stars. Because you bring a trivial case of your dreaming about a steak shows maybe you don't feel your actions are significant but you want a bigger salary so you can have a juicy steak.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 04:25 pm
@talk72000,
Thank you.
talk72000

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 04:26 pm
@roger,
Laughing Razz Embarrassed
roger

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 04:28 pm
@talk72000,
Yeah yeah. Sometimes we agree; sometimes we don't.
talk72000

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 04:31 pm
@roger,
Razz
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 04:20 am
@manored,
Perhaps you do unconsciously what I do consciously, and reject the notion of useless knowledge... As the Native said: I have eaten of all nations; so I have read on all subjects, and not because I expect some good, for that would be naive, but because we cannot know the future, and cannot say in advance what knowledge will be found necessay... Yet, to date, my education gained primarily through reading has been purely luxury, and what I have needed to know I have only known well enough, and most of what I have learned has never found a proper use...

But ignorance is a painted window that never reveals the scene behind it or lets in the light until we trouble to scrape it off... So I am not blind any more, and yet, if hard pressed to support my self with my knowledge would probably starve... What do people learn anyway except how to support themselves, and then they say: enough... Most of us are cyclops... Our education only has a single focus... We are educated in a single subject for a single purpose and not out of the love of knowledge as a goal in itself... What else can we do??? We are taught to believe that life begins after one is educated, but education is life, and life is education...

We have left the rich to so manage our lives that many of us are overworked while most stand idly by.... People need the education the boss will hire, and he cares not for the well rounded, liberally educated individual...The desire for a full education amounts to a obsession with me, but short of winning the lottery, I will never be ables to afford it... Clearly, my wife and kids hate my books, yet in the same sense that they keep my body rooted, my books set my mind free...
Khethil

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:35 am
@manored,
manored wrote:

Khethil wrote:

Fido wrote:

I agree.

Thanks, and you know, the more I think about it the more it rings true.

Its a lot like one of the justifications behind why we place such a high value on human life. The argument's been made that the creature that realizes its own existence - in that condition - therefore values it more, and dreads the loss of that condition; for how can a thing have value to the owner if they don't or can't conceive they have it. Whether or not this rings true is yet another issue, and that philosophy comes with many caveats.

But its also a rational building, set of foundations that agrees with the way we think (using "quote" function here since there's no way to make a table or indent):
Quote:

1. Value is a subjective evaluation from person to person

2. Value, therefore, exists only in the mind of the perceiver

3. What I don't realize, know, place effort in has less value than what I do realize, seek to maintain, know or place effort in

4. Effort itself imbues value in the mind of the evaluator; the more effort I put into it - regardless of what that effort might or might not net - increases how much I value whatever it is we're talking about

5. As I look at my life, my actions, my thoughts/hopes/faiths; as I follow their lines of logic and motivation through, I'm "investing" in that thing - giving it effort and more "value" in my mind

6. My experiences and existence (read: life) is more valuable when I examine it

7. If I don't 'examine' at all (ponder, reflect, perhaps analyze, look at what might be or might have been, etc.) this totality has less value in my mind.

8. Thus, the poorly-worded notion: The unexamined life is not worth living

Now, I wouldn't for a minute say its NOT worth living at all (thus, the poorly worded judgment there), but I get the ideal - or so I think I do.

Anyways... I thought I'd toss that out there. How we value our existence in the light of its analysis and reflection.

Thanks

ughaibu

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 10:21 am
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
why we place such a high value on human life. The argument's been made that the creature that realizes its own existence - in that condition - therefore values it more, and dreads the loss of that condition; for how can a thing have value to the owner if they don't or can't conceive they have it.
Also, exactly why human beings have a propensity to torture and kill each other.
0 Replies

manored

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 11:16 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

Perhaps you do unconsciously what I do consciously, and reject the notion of useless knowledge... As the Native said: I have eaten of all nations; so I have read on all subjects, and not because I expect some good, for that would be naive, but because we cannot know the future, and cannot say in advance what knowledge will be found necessay... Yet, to date, my education gained primarily through reading has been purely luxury, and what I have needed to know I have only known well enough, and most of what I have learned has never found a proper use...
Indeed, I do reject the notion of useless knowledge. While there are, of course, certain areas of knowledge that are less important than others (such as fashion versus medicine) its obvious that all pieces of knowledge can have some use, even if they are converted to a whole different application than the intended. For example, anything you learn you can use to enrich an work of fiction you are writing and make it seem more real.

Khethil wrote:

Thanks, and you know, the more I think about it the more it rings true.

Its a lot like one of the justifications behind why we place such a high value on human life. The argument's been made that the creature that realizes its own existence - in that condition - therefore values it more, and dreads the loss of that condition; for how can a thing have value to the owner if they don't or can't conceive they have it. Whether or not this rings true is yet another issue, and that philosophy comes with many caveats.
That does make sense, if you consider yourself worthless then you wont take your own opinion in consideration then deciding what has or does not has value. So I would say that people who consider themselves worthless are deluding themselves, in reality they merely have a poor opinion about themselves.

Khethil wrote:

Now, I wouldn't for a minute say its NOT worth living at all (thus, the poorly worded judgment there), but I get the ideal - or so I think I do.
Indeed, I think it intends to be ideal and not serious, that is, radical. Its like saying "People who dont drink dont know how to live". Obviously, this doesnt means the speaker thinks everyone who doesnt drinks is unhappy, he is just commenting about how much he likes drinking.

ughaibu wrote:

Also, exactly why human beings have a propensity to torture and kill each other.
I didnt get the relationship.
Fido

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 12:00 pm
@Khethil,
Think about it: The unexamined life line comes from Plato/Socrates, if I am not mistaken, and Plato has Socrates thanking a God for releasing him from life, as if a disease.... Could it be that the Life of Brian had it more correct in saying: Life's a piece of ****, when you look at it!
I accept the examined life because that is me... I am weird... I am a born existentialist, and short of telling you my life story, let me say that it was perhaps unavoidable.... My brother, who was always burdened with disease,, Polio, is by contrast superficial, and accepting of life's miseries... But the spectacle of my life was fodder for thought, and thoughts I thought....

The lives we think we endure alone are all we share, with the worms, the dogs, and the jackasses too... When eagles soar our lives soar with them, and when a cornered rat flings his life into the ready maw of death for a hope of giving what he gets, -there we make our stand.... What is true of our lives is true of all life, that life is will, and knowing nothing but life, a chain of will stretched back to the dawn of time,- we hang onto it as to all meaning...

Life does not have to be examined to have value, and often the examination of it when we have nothing proper to compare it to only leads to its devaluation.... So, When we examine life, we should seek to examine all life, and we better ask why the worm turns against the boot... Life is all value, and all meaning... It is possible to have meaning without demeaning others... It is possible to live this life without consuming all that future generations may need for survival... It is possible to honor and respect all life without making of life a fetish... I see this with an examination, but that does not mean others are unable to understand the same facts without so much as a glance... I think Socrates, and Plato were sick of life because they were sick, demoralized, and living demoralized lives in a demoralized society... That is the situation we must avoid, because at this moment, their lives look very like our own, demoralized...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 12:11 pm
@manored,
Quote:
manored wrote:

Fido wrote:

Indeed, I do reject the notion of useless knowledge. While there are, of course, certain areas of knowledge that are less important than others (such as fashion versus medicine) its obvious that all pieces of knowledge can have some use, even if they are converted to a whole different application than the intended. For example, anything you learn you can use to enrich an work of fiction you are writing and make it seem more real.

Life is fiction, stranger than fiction; visible only through the forms that make visible what was before phenomenal, and it is only that part of the whole we can possibly understand... All I write is fiction, and those who accuse me of playing poetry with philosophy do not know the compliment they pay me... I have not found it, but some place in the Gospels has Jesus telling the Jews they are gods... I knew it before I heard it, and without effort cast man in the role of the Titans... We make nature tremble, and make women and children run in fear... Would that this demigod of mankind would find his soul, and realize his power in self control...
0 Replies