Philosophers think they know it all - they are never wrong.

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 12:03 pm
@Fido,
Fido, Where did you study human behavior and sociology? You make up a lot of claims about moralities that just doesn't exist in any real community. Do you understand why we humans have a military and police? Even they break moral laws of their group, culture, communities, cities, states, and countries.

Moral standards doesn't exist in any group. If that sentiment worked, we wouldn't need the police or military.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 12:05 pm
@Fido,
Morality is never based on the spiritual life of the people. It's based on the laws of the land, and anyone who commits a crime against those laws are usually punished.
Zetherin

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 12:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Are you implying that if prescriptive legal laws did not exist, that humans would no longer have morals?
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 12:10 pm
@Zetherin,
Can you show me where I claimed such a thing?
Zetherin

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 12:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I asked you a question in regards to your meaning. I did not say you claimed anything.

So, the answer to your question seems to be "no", as it appears the answer to mine is "no".

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 12:19 pm
@Zetherin,
I do not appreciate questions that are asked that has no bearing on anything I said. It makes it seem I support the idea by implication. Otherwise, I welcome direct questions to any post I make on any thread.
Zetherin

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 12:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Morality is never based on the spiritual life of the people. It's based on the laws of the land

is ambiguous. It could mean that morality is based on the laws of the land (since your second sentence starts with "It's" - referring, I think, to morality). And the person could mean by that that if laws did not exist, neither would morals. But what you seemed to mean, I'm guessing, is that morality is what laws are based on - not the other way around.

Regardless, I hope you can understand why I inquired further. If you can't, I'm sorry for your unappreciativeness.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 12:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Morality is never based on the spiritual life of the people. It's based on the laws of the land, and anyone who commits a crime against those laws are usually punished.

If anything, law is based on morality. But even that is not true. "Based on" is, when it means anything, ambiguous. It may mean, 1. "is justified by", and it might mean, "is generated by". In both meanings, what you said is false.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 03:57 pm
@kennethamy,
Where did you learn that cockamamie idea? There are thousands of laws on the books here in the US that are not only ridiculous, but has no "moral" value.

What moral law is based on jaywalking?
Zetherin

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 03:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
By his "If anything, laws are based on morality", he simply meant that if one were to draw a correlation between the two, it would make more sense to think that laws are based on morality and not the other way around. But he then went on to say it is false that laws are based on morality, and that it is also false that morality is based on laws.

Let us clarify what you meant, though. Did you mean that morality is based on laws, which is almost what you typed verbatim, or did you mean something else?

I'm referring to this:
cicerone imposter wrote:

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 05:00 pm
@Zetherin,
Fair question. We live in a secular country, not a religious based country. Laws in our country are essentially based on British common law.

Ever since our country was established in Philadelphia, most of what we have strived for are delineated in the US Constitution. However, over and above the constitution, states have established their own laws that has nothing to do with morals of the community.

Are you familiar with what's been going on concerning illegal immigration? The feds have established laws concerning this topic, but you will have difficulty trying to establish a connection to "community morals" about how illegal immigration is being handled by both the feds and by Arizona. People have different ideas about who and why illegal immigrants should be able to remain in the US. Morals is a nice ideal, but there's no common thread that can be applied.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 06:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Fair question. We live in a secular country, not a religious based country. Laws in our country are essentially based on British common law.

Ever since our country was established in Philadelphia, most of what we have strived for are delineated in the US Constitution. However, over and above the constitution, states have established their own laws that has nothing to do with morals of the community.

Are you familiar with what's been going on concerning illegal immigration? The feds have established laws concerning this topic, but you will have difficulty trying to establish a connection to "community morals" about how illegal immigration is being handled by both the feds and by Arizona. People have different ideas about who and why illegal immigrants should be able to remain in the US. Morals is a nice ideal, but there's no common thread that can be applied.

Laws in our country are essentially based on British common law.

If that means that they historically come from English (not British) common law, that is true. But that does not mean that they are in anyway justified by ECL. If "based on" means "justified by", then neither morality is "based on" (justified by) law, nor is law
" based on" (justified by) morality. You need to say what you mean by "based on". That is the weasel word. Does it mean, "come from" or "come out of", or does it mean, "justified by"?
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 07:00 pm
@kennethamy,
What are you trying to say? Did you study law? I studied law in college and got an "A." You don't even seem to understand what "common law" means.
Zetherin

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 07:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
What on earth does his studying law have to do with it? Completely irrelevent.

He's trying to clarify what you mean by "based on" so we can begin to understand what you even mean.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 07:18 pm
@Zetherin,
You have questioned my post on the law. If you've already forgotten that, please don't bother me with any q's in the future.

If you can prove what I said is not true, please present your evidence. Otherwise, all you are doing to assuming things I did not state in my p0st.
Zetherin

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 07:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
What? I was asking if your claim is that morality is based on law. Did you even read what I typed?

If we establish that that is even your claim, then we can move on to understanding what you mean by "based on".
Quote:
Otherwise, all you are doing to assuming things I did not state in my p0st.

What did I assume?! I've been asking you the entire time what you even meant!
Quote:
If you can prove what I said is not true, please present your evidence

We don't even know what your claim is!
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 07:23 pm
@Zetherin,
I answered that question. You seem to have a bad habit of making statements you can't back up.

Here; I copied this from a previous post:
Quote:

Zetherin

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 07:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
You seem to have a bad habit of making statements you can't back up.

Yeah, that must be it.

That bolded part doesn't answer my question. You really think "Morals is a nice ideal, but there's no common thread that can be applied" answers the question, "Are you claiming that morality is based on laws"? We need a witness to this insanity.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 07:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Morals is a nice ideal, but there's no common thread that can be applied.

[/quote]

What does that mean with or without its being in bold? Even in bold it makes no sense.
Zetherin

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 08:03 pm
@kennethamy,
I'm guessing his point was that laws are not based on morals. But that still doesn't answer my question about his claiming that morals are based on laws, let alone your question about what "based on" in his sentence means.

I guess we'll just never know what he meant by this:
cicerone imposter wrote:

0 Replies