Philosophers think they know it all - they are never wrong.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 07:21 am
@manored,
manored wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

It is hard to tell from what you write, but are you actually suggesting that whether (say) Bobby Fisher (the world champion) was a better chess player than you or I is not an objective question? Or, to change the example, whether the New York Yankees are not a better baseball team than some farm team, or some high-school team? If that is what your theory suggests (never mind implies) I strongly suggest that you revise your theory.
It isnt a teory, it is one of the fundamental aspects of the scientific method: That any experiment, no matter how well executed, has chances of being wrong, and consequently the conclusions that are based upon it also have.

I don't know what this has to do with experiments. But it is certainly true that any empirical statement might be wrong. But then, again, it might be right too. You are confusing two issues: 1.certainty and 2.knowledge. What you are pointing out is that we cannot be absolutely certain, beyond the possibility of doubt, that Fisher was better than some beginner. And that is true. But how does that show that it isn't true, and we know it is true, that Fisher was better than some beginner? Answer, it doesn't. Just because a statement might be false, that is no reason to think it is false; and just because we cannot be absolutely certain that a statement is true is no reason to think that we do not know it is true. Just remember, "might be wrong" is no reason for "is wrong", and is no reason for "it is not known that it is true".
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 07:34 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

manored wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

You guys miss the point.. Chess is not about chess

Obviously. But luckily, we have you to set us right. Nothing is ever about what is is about, but it is always about something it has nothing to do with.
Fido

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 11:51 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

Fido wrote:

manored wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

You guys miss the point.. Chess is not about chess

Obviously. But luckily, we have you to set us right. Nothing is ever about what is is about, but it is always about something it has nothing to do with.

Sorry; but the metaphore is sort of obvious... It does not matter what the game is, if you think it is only a game you have missed the point, and I would show you the door, but you would as likely miss that as well... Have you ever read Being and Time, by Heidegger??? Because I haven't so I can hardly recommend it, and yet, it really seems that he and I are offering slight variations of the same theme... All those forms, whether games or politics or religion are about the relationship, which is always in the moment, without sense of past or future, and that people are conscious only of one or the other, the form or the relationship... How can I tell you that your embrace of subjectivity as though it is objective is dimwitted and adlebrained without giving you cause for resentment... Perhaps If I say: In my opinion you are an individual educated to a point without consciousness or insight of merit, then it would not feed resentment, or cause your complaint to the authorities... I am not saying it is the truth, but is certainly my subjective take on the truth...
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 12:06 pm
@Fido,
The key, Fido, is your admission that it's your "subjective take" on the matter. We all have "subjective" opinions that may be true or false - to ourselves.

If I see that the traffic light signal is red, most drivers will head and stop. You may decipher that any way you wish, but most drivers will follow the rule of the red stop light.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 12:17 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

Fido wrote:

manored wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

. I am not saying it is the truth, but is certainly my subjective take on the truth...

And why would you think anyone would like to know that?
0 Replies

manored

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 09:31 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

You guys miss the point.. Chess is not about chess, but is about life with the analogy of a chess game... Some people suck at chess who are good at life... Some generals do not play chess though it can be an analogy of a battle on a battlefield... The fact that it fails as an analogy means its use to us is limited, but it still works as an intelligence test between like minded individuals... What does it tell us of an objective nature since the test is so subjective in quality... It tells only about the game, and the players, and takes little into account... That is; a lot of factors goes into making "good " chess players, and conditions can change to make even the best players suck on any given day...
But its the game we are talking about, not life nor the players =)

It is true, though, that several factors go into forming a good chess player, not all of which have much to do with chess.

kennethamy wrote:

I don't know what this has to do with experiments. But it is certainly true that any empirical statement might be wrong. But then, again, it might be right too. You are confusing two issues: 1.certainty and 2.knowledge. What you are pointing out is that we cannot be absolutely certain, beyond the possibility of doubt, that Fisher was better than some beginner. And that is true. But how does that show that it isn't true, and we know it is true, that Fisher was better than some beginner? Answer, it doesn't. Just because a statement might be false, that is no reason to think it is false; and just because we cannot be absolutely certain that a statement is true is no reason to think that we do not know it is true. Just remember, "might be wrong" is no reason for "is wrong", and is no reason for "it is not known that it is true".
Indeed, it is true that we cannot take ever infinitesimal chance into consideration, as that would involve far more thinking power than humans can muster, and so then chances are very low its wiser to just ignore then. However, basing the difference between subjective and objective on how likely the statement is to be true seens vague to me. On my understanding of the definition of the words, it seens wiser to consider objective that which is certainly true, while anything that has any chance of being wrong is subjective.
Fido

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 08:04 am
@manored,
You are talking about objective reality, and there is no such thing but what we agree is objective reality, so while a physical thing might seem firm enough on the surface, our acceptance of objective reality requires agreement, and agreement requires a relationship so the moral form, morality as a form, stands behind our acceptance of objective fact...That is why democracy inevitably enters conversation about objective reality; because it is what people agree it to be...Even death as an objective reality depends upon the perspective... Is it the end or only a new beginning??? It is what people agree it is...
manored

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 09:49 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

You are talking about objective reality, and there is no such thing but what we agree is objective reality, so while a physical thing might seem firm enough on the surface, our acceptance of objective reality requires agreement, and agreement requires a relationship so the moral form, morality as a form, stands behind our acceptance of objective fact...That is why democracy inevitably enters conversation about objective reality; because it is what people agree it to be...Even death as an objective reality depends upon the perspective... Is it the end or only a new beginning??? It is what people agree it is...
I dont understand what you mean.
Fido

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 07:12 am
@manored,
manored wrote:

Fido wrote:

I dont understand what you mean.

You might have to revisit some of my old post...I have a screwed up computer, so I am typing on my old dinosaur in the man cave. I am trying to get some iron up at the house as a first step to an addition I would like blacked in before novermber, so I do not have a lot of time... I think the proper name for a moral form would be an emphatic form as opposed to a physical one.... I hate to say it, but I do not have a lot of time to go into a lot of detail.
manored

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2010 02:09 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

You might have to revisit some of my old post...I have a screwed up computer, so I am typing on my old dinosaur in the man cave. I am trying to get some iron up at the house as a first step to an addition I would like blacked in before novermber, so I do not have a lot of time... I think the proper name for a moral form would be an emphatic form as opposed to a physical one.... I hate to say it, but I do not have a lot of time to go into a lot of detail.
I generally dont understand your older posts either, I find your style of writing kinda... difficult to understand =)
IRFRANK

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2010 02:21 pm
Is this a simple case of someone having their preconceived or ill conceived notions proven wrong buy a simple logical argument? And then getting upset at the arrogance of the one showing them their fallacy?

Many people have unsubstantiated beliefs or opinions that cannot be supported by basic facts.

And no, this is not the same as having the freedom of your own beliefs.

As someone said:

You are entitled to you own opinion, but not your own facts.

Fido

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 10:16 am
@manored,
manored wrote:

Fido wrote:

I generally dont understand your older posts either, I find your style of writing kinda... difficult to understand =)

You might try Heidegger because he covered much of this same ground from a slightly different angle; but if you do not understand me, good luck with him.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 10:25 am
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:

Is this a simple case of someone having their preconceived or ill conceived notions proven wrong buy a simple logical argument? And then getting upset at the arrogance of the one showing them their fallacy?

Many people have unsubstantiated beliefs or opinions that cannot be supported by basic facts.

And no, this is not the same as having the freedom of your own beliefs.

As someone said:

You are entitled to you own opinion, but not your own facts.

In dealing with moral forms such as virtue, goodness, emotions, individual infinites such as justice, or liberty, or love, or mind, or God; there are many suppositions and precious few facts.... We can know ourselves to an extent, and know what people say and do, but we are all like detectives trying to create a narative of events long after witnesses and responsible parties have fled the scene... What do people do with their moral forms, and why do they think they exist at all, and exist to the point that people often lay down their lives for simple ideas when life is all they know of meaning of any sort???
It is a riddle, a mystery, and one in which all people have some testimony to give since we are all a product of moral forms...
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 11:52 am
@Fido,
To expand on your thought, I'd also like to include the issue of why with all the religion practiced in this world, we are no better than any animal walking this planet?

Does religion really teach us morals? If it does, it failed miserably. Look at all the cultures with religion. Have they shown moral superiority? If so, when and how?
manored

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 03:27 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

What do people do with their moral forms, and why do they think they exist at all, and exist to the point that people often lay down their lives for simple ideas when life is all they know of meaning of any sort???
One who sees this world as an ilusion may consider a sacrifice meaningless, as it is only changing an ilusion, but one who considers this world real and important sees things differently.

cicerone imposter wrote:

To expand on your thought, I'd also like to include the issue of why with all the religion practiced in this world, we are no better than any animal walking this planet?
Even if we were all altruistic saints or something like that, why would that make us better than the other lifeforms? Whenever we are better than other lifeforms or not depends only of our opinion on this matter, not on how different or virtuous we are. Humans are the only species around that makes this kind of judgment after all. Or, at least, the only we can communicate with =)

cicerone imposter wrote:

Does religion really teach us morals? If it does, it failed miserably. Look at all the cultures with religion. Have they shown moral superiority? If so, when and how?
While I dont like generalizing, yes, religions are overrated and I dont really like then. Whenever I analyze a religion I see that it caused/causes more bad than good. I guess any dogmatic system does so.

As for morals, religions just really repeat and formalize the morality of the society they are created into. I mean, if we look back to the ten commandments, we see that they are a basic form of morality and pretty much any society agrees with then, except the first four that refer to the religion itself rather than general behavior.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 03:34 pm
@manored,
I never expect humans to be "altruistic saints," but how has it really helped humans?
Fido

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 11:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Most people simply do not accept religion, and religions support and are supported by the morals of the community...It is for that reason Muslim morality is so much like pre-Muslim morality, and why even Easter was a pagan holiday... All morality must support the community, and no religion would make much headway if it supported immorality... One the other hand, we are not better than animals, but many individuals are better, though still animals... Since we can conceive of ourselves moral and good, we can make ourselves according to our conception... But there are many who reject religion, who are without the moral, spritual qualities of self -Without a Thing to show for if... We need morality for the community to survive. If you do not believe in God you have to believe in morality...
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 09:53 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
Quote:
and no religion would make much headway if it supported immorality.
is a non-sequitur.
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 04:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
If you are speaking empirical please show a peer review or something conclusive. I have no answers only questions.
Thank you. Reasoning Self Logic
0 Replies

manored

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 05:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I never expect humans to be "altruistic saints," but how has it really helped humans?

I didnt say it has, I said that whenever humans are better than animals or not is not... its hard to explain, so lets say that it is not an usefull judgment. For starters, it depends entirely from the judge's personal opinions about life. Some people think humans are worse than animals, some think we are no better, and some do think we are better. They all have different reasons for believing so. Some think we are worse because we are "destroying the planet" (That is a troublesome idea itself, or at least phrased in an problematic way), some think we are the same because we are animals too, some think we are better because we are smarter. These arent reasons that oppose or contradict each other, so it ends up being about which you choose to give the most importance to.
0 Replies