What's Up with this Latest Russian Spy Ring?

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 04:31 am
NY, Mass., Va. Bail Hearings Await 9 In Spy Case
by THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128206489
Quote:
NEW YORK July 1, 2010, 06:11 am ET
Bail hearings for nine people charged in a Russian spy case were scheduled Thursday as a U.S. prosecutor said the evidence against them was growing stronger by the day.

Hearings were set for federal courts in New York, Boston and Alexandria, Va., for all but one of the 10 people arrested over the weekend by federal authorities in the United States.

Police are stepping up efforts to find an 11th person who was arrested in Cyprus but disappeared after a Cypriot judge freed him on $32,500 bail. The man, who had gone by the name Christopher Metsos, failed to show up Wednesday for a required meeting with police in connection with charges that he supplied money to the spy ring.

Eleventh Person Arrested In Alleged Russian Spy Ring
by THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128186123

So are any of you a2ker's part of this ring? You can get a free coffee with each confession!!

Chocolate Bar Invites Spies to Come In From the Cold
http://images.nymag.com/images/2/daily/2010/06/20100630_kafe_250x375.jpg
http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2010/06/chocolate_bar_invites_spies_to.html?e=grubstreet--20100630

BillRM

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 04:47 am
@tsarstepan,
This it now the third thread on the same subject.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 04:55 am
@BillRM,
It is? Because I tried a using the search bar for Russian spy ring and came up empty.
farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 05:03 am
@tsarstepan,
You cannot write anything as funny as this. Im sure this will become another dark comedy in the future. These folks were all apparentkly sleepers and then were gradually becoming more Amreican than their handlers would have liked.

You cannot force democracy on anyone.

I see this one with Mel Brooks as one of the Russian handlers, John Malkovitch as Putin, Brad Pitt and Angelina as the couple from Union NJ, Denzel's gotta be one of our CIA guys.
This is gonna make a GAAAREEEAAATTTT !! flick.

Course , thats just MHO.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 05:07 am
@farmerman,
I like your thinking farmerman!! Let me search my under my bed and under my couch's pillows for some loose change (say several $million) and I'll help produce this film with ya.

Who'd ya want directing? The Coen Brothers? Cool
farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 05:24 am
@tsarstepan,
AW yeh, Theyd be able to take it apart, find the irony and then piece it together again.

Maybe Sam Jackson could get a part as some crusty cab driver who accidently breaks the whole thing open by finding some piece of note papaer in his cab and he tries to make a score from this information.

The topic is so far off a standard spy story that its arc should embrace the inane and all the improbablitities that make the lives of characters in a Coen brothers movie go spiralling out of control in small incrememnts.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 05:27 am
@tsarstepan,
Obviously, the bail jumper should be considered when deciding whether to allow bond on the rest.
farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 05:35 am
@roger,
I think that "The McGuffin" of this movie should be the time involved in getting all the facts. I think there should be a kid, born at the beginning pof the movie and snapshotted by FBI hidden cameras at selected time intervals. Here we could see the kid growing up in the still ashots. That way wed be able to see what a fuckin huge waste o0f time this may have been. Because the kid , knowing only one way of life, will be unable to understand life without a McD's at every corner or an I phone in his head.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 06:07 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
It is? Because I tried a using the search bar for Russian spy ring and came up empty.

Strange because I had zero problems finding all those threads and the last I look we are now up to four such threads on the same subject.
farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 08:12 am
@BillRM,
Im gonna get busy writing a screenplay while Bill is busy counting all these spy threads. Bill can be our "prop manager" and /or "locations manager".

PSS. I too looked around for spy threads and found none. werhaps Bills been looking at another BB, or else noone has responded on any of the others lately so they dont show up on anyones queue.
sozobe

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 08:33 am
I loved the quote in the original (print) NYT article from a neighbor girl who was surprised to discover that her neighbors were spies: "They can't be spies... have you seen what she's done with the hydrangeas?"

I went to get that quote online for a friend whose hydrangeas I'd just praised, and they'd added the word "jokingly" as in "she said jokingly," ruined it entirely. Hmph.
BillRM

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 10:41 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
PSS. I too looked around for spy threads and found none. werhaps Bills been looking at another BB, or else noone has responded on any of the others lately so they dont show up on anyones queue.

“Deep Deep cover Russian Agents” number one thread, “Spies like us” number two thread, “Whats’ up with the latest Russian Spies” number three thread and I lost the title of the fourth thread.

In any case you are blind Farmerman.
farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 11:59 am
@BillRM,
Eat me Billy. I dont spend my day tooling aroundthe board. If it aint on "New" or "Recent Threads" It may not as well exist.

Why not just go bother someone else. Im writing the screenplay on this story and I dont need some douche bag like you ******* up my writing style. K SHANKERPOTOMUS?
farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 12:08 pm
@farmerman,
HA!. It seems that Billy is not a member of the "insiders ring" in which RG has filtered all the "Solve et Coagula" threads. Thats why none of those titles have shown up . I looked all the way to pqage 7 of the "New threads" and theres nothing there about the Russians.
Now I ve s[pent waay more time with Billy than I need. Im sure he will go on and on and on about how intelligent he is .

JTT

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 01:06 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
It seems that Billy is not a member of the "insiders ring" in which RG has filtered all the "Solve et Coagula" threads.

And they call this place Ablefucking2know?
JTT

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 01:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
Why would Cyprus have arrested the guy anyway? Why would they give a rat's ass if someone is spying on the US?

Maybe that's the way the judge saw it.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 01:24 pm
This looks like another in a long line of cases where our "protectors" make a splashy announcement about how they have just saved us from some great threat, but on further examination it turns out the the "bad guys" are a merry band a deluded freaks with a can of spray paint.

Our boys spent 10 YEARS! and untold thousands of hours watching, Really? Have they nothing better to do? Does it take them that long to figure out that they have found a few Russians swindling the Russian Government and to send them home to face the Russians?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 02:11 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

And they call this place Ablefucking2know?

Close!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 03:18 pm
@sozobe,
That's one reason I prefer print media.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 04:40 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
If it aint on "New" or "Recent Threads" It may not as well exist.

Farmerman all those threads are recent and had shown up on the new thread list so what the hell are you talking about? Hell I found all of them but for the one I started by looking at the new threads list.

In fact it could not be otherwise as this is a new story so any thread created concerning it would be new not old.