An Atheists Argument for God (or Something ike it.)

jeeprs

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 04:01 pm
@DrewDad,
I think you're likely to be correct in that.
0 Replies

Sentience

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 04:03 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
Stop. Your first conclusion is invalid. Thermodymanics applies within our Universe, not necessarily outside of it.
...And my conclusion was that there must be something outside our own universe. What's your point?
Sentience

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 04:06 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
I think you've drawn the wrong conclusion. My reasoning (based on the premises that you have posted, here) goes something like this:

1. The physical laws that we are able to describe do not allow the existence of the Universe.
2. The Universe exists.

Therefore, our understanding of the physical laws is incomplete.

I'm not saying my theory is correct, or perhaps even perfect, I am simply making a point in how the belief of 'something greater' is not completely unfounded, even if I do no believe in it. Even so, it's seems silly to say "I don't know" and leave it. I do not believe we should stop searching for possible causes within our own universe, only take into consideration that there might be something greater.
0 Replies

Sentience

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 04:09 pm
@BillRM,
I agree completely, remember that I am an atheist. My theory may not necessarily be correct, but it also may be correct (and even then, I don't like to call it God, as that implies a sentient force, which I do not agree with), only that belief in something greater is not completely unfounded. I agree that we should continue to search for the universe's cause, and use whatever theory becomes most valid as we go. As this is fully compatible with the big bang theory, it 'works,' up to a point.
0 Replies

Sentience

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 04:13 pm
@ossobuco,
I have never been truly 'into religion,' for the record, though I do take a significant curiosity in it.

I have stated numerous times I don't exactly believe 'all this ****' (which, by the way, you claim to have not even read.' I do not dislike you because your an atheist, I dislike you because you appear arrogant and ignorant. Unlike many people here who I respect, and have given deep, thoughtful, and scientific answers, you've simply said "No, this is stupid."

Remember, this is not an argument for God, but a claim that arguing his existence is not completely unfounded. If my theory is true, I stated that calling it a 'sentient being' was stupid.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 04:14 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

I think you've drawn the wrong conclusion. My reasoning (based on the premises that you have posted, here) goes something like this:

1. The physical laws that we are able to describe do not allow the existence of the Universe.
2. The Universe exists.

Therefore, our understanding of the physical laws is incomplete.

Sigh of relief. Had we made it to the second page without this...

But I'm with Ossobuco, believing is not so complex, it's rather simple. Channeling Thomas, If theists have issues with an uncaused universe, but not an uncaused god, then why add the god at all? It's seemingly unnecessary addition.

A
R
T
Sentience

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 04:18 pm
@failures art,
That was the main point of my final paragraph, that while it's not completely unfounded, using Occam's Razor, it seems silly to add the 'sentience' to it. On top of that, the history of the Bible is just plain false.

Aahh... I see what you mean now, and that was my original argument against theists (on another site.) One of them showed me how the universe is subject to it's rules, so they need to create a force that is not subject to the universe's rules (I respect him a lot for putting the sentience of that force down to plain faith and spirituality.) I suppose that before the universe created it's own rules, there would have been no rules, and so it could do this, but that wouldn't be too far from the idea I had in mind.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 04:29 pm
@Sentience,
Sentience wrote:

Quote:
Stop. Your first conclusion is invalid. Thermodymanics applies within our Universe, not necessarily outside of it.
...And my conclusion was that there must be something outside our own universe. What's your point?

My point is that if your starting statement is unsupported, then all of the subsequent logical connections are going to be unsupported. That's why I said, "Stop". You need to validate your starting point before you build upon it.
Huxley

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 04:30 pm
Fun read! I agree with jeeprs that this sounds a lot like the Cosmological argument. As such, you may enjoy reading another argument similar to the one you crafted. Here's a link to the SEP page on it.

My two nitpicks would be this: It is logically possible that the universe is neither infinite yet wasn't created. Existence could just be without a creator in the same way that a God would just be without a creator -- In essence, existence itself would be the "greatest cause" you're looking for. The metaphysical conception beyond that just mucks things up.

From this, If we take your argument for a non-infinite universe from the 2nd law of thermo as sound, then we should conclude that this would be the "first time through" (and, if we take the 2nd law as sound [which I'm not arguing we shouldn't, by the way], likely the last time through, too!)

My second nit-pick is in your conception causality -- every effect is thought to have a cause, but that doesn't mean that every cause has its own effect, or that every effect must be greater than or equal to its previous cause. I don't question the existence of causality, but I do question the conception of the Cosmos as deterministic machine. I also think it's hard to determine what "greater than or equal to" means when dealing with something as qualitative as causality. In a sense, the notion of cause is the notion of be-cause, in that it explains why something is -- so cause is the statement which satisfies curiosity, rather than an over-arching efficient cause that creates a machine universe. While I think such a cosmos possible I don't think there's a good basis for this inference either deductively or inductively.

Those are my 2 pennies, anyways.
Sentience

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 04:40 pm
@Huxley,

Quote:
My two nitpicks would be this: It is logically possible that the universe is neither infinite yet wasn't created. Existence could just be without a creator in the same way that a God would just be without a creator -- In essence, existence itself would be the "greatest cause" you're looking for. The metaphysical conception beyond that just mucks things up.
Ahh, I do believe I could have been far more clear on this, it was a bit vague. My point is that the universe could not have been created without anything that does not adhere to the universe's laws existing. So within the laws of the universe, the universe could not have been created, which means something must be exempt to those laws.
Quote:

My second nit-pick is in your conception causality -- every effect is thought to have a cause, but that doesn't mean that every cause has its own effect, or that every effect must be greater than or equal to its previous cause. I don't question the existence of causality, but I do question the conception of the Cosmos as deterministic machine. I also think it's hard to determine what "greater than or equal to" means when dealing with something as qualitative as causality. In a sense, the notion of cause is the notion of be-cause, in that it explains why something is -- so cause is the statement which satisfies curiosity, rather than an over-arching efficient cause that creates a machine universe. While I think such a cosmos possible I don't think there's a good basis for this inference either deductively or inductively.

I see your point here, and my exact concept of causality is still being formed, but the only one necessary for my argument is that every effect has a cause. Also, if causes may not have effects, that brings us to having to define what an 'affect' is. For example, if a photon went shooting out into beyond distant space, it wouldn't effect anything other then itself, and yet it would still be effected (gravitational effects lessening on it as it grows more distant and so on), so even if it only effects itself, it is still an effect.

Quote:
Those are my 2 pennies, anyways.

Being that 2 pennies made of copper are roughly equivalent to 2.4 cents of material value, you must think your opinion greater then to cents! Who do you think you are, arrogant bastard! I make joke.
Sentience

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 04:43 pm
@rosborne979,
No, you're point is that my first point would lead to my conclusion, which it does.

My conclusion is that there is something outside of our universe, because thermodynamics applies within our universe, but not necessarily outside of it. So naturally there's something out side of it. So you're actually saying that my conclusion is supported, not that my first point is unsupported.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 04:48 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
No, I don't find all that interesting. Give us a break.

It's annoying as hell that all you came to say in this thread is that you can't be bothered to read it. Why not just leave the tread to those who do want to? You don't need to narrate everything you do, if you don't want to read a thread we don't necessarily need to know you have decided not to read it.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 04:50 pm
@Sentience,
I have the general observation that matter is not causal. Matter has no causal capacity beyond those described by physics and chemistry. I guess that puts me on the general side of the theists, huh.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 04:51 pm
@Sentience,
Sentience wrote:

No, you're point is that my first point would lead to my conclusion, which it does.

My conclusion is that there is something outside of our universe, because thermodynamics applies within our universe, but not necessarily outside of it. So naturally there's something out side of it. So you're actually saying that my conclusion is supported, not that my first point is unsupported.

Ah, I see. It's not your *entire* first point that I feel is unsupported, it's only this part:
Sentience wrote:

First: ... we must acknowledge that the universe has not existed for an infinite amount of time, without acknowledging that there must be something else out there.

You then try to corroborate that statement by invoking Thermodynamics within this Universe.

I agree that the Universe has not existed for an infinite amount of time. But you cannot conclude that there "must be something else out there" by any means, and certainly not by invoking thermodynamic principles which only apply within our Universal framework.
Sentience

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 04:53 pm
@jeeprs,
I would like you to elaborate, I can't really visualize what you're trying to say. What do you mean it's not causal? In what sense? That it cannot cause? Or it cannot be caused?
Sentience

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 05:00 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
I agree that the Universe has not existed for an infinite amount of time. But you cannot conclude that there "must be something else out there" by any means, and certainly not by invoking thermodynamic principles which only apply within our Universal framework.

Perhaps we cannot say that 'there must be something else out there' but we can at least conclude that if thermodynamics are a constant within the universe, the universe cannot be a closed system and infinite. The point of that paragraph was not to show that there is something else out there, but to show that the universe must have had a 'creation point.' Essentially, if the universe WAS an infinite chain of causality, then there must be something else outside of it, which is an entirely different basis for a theory. Even so, I'm sure there are other mathematical proofs that show the universe has not existed infinitely time wise.
jeeprs

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 05:00 pm
@Sentience,
I think it means that matter cannot 'make anything happen'. I think the idea that matter somehow assembles itself into living organisms and acts is completely false. I do have a rather elaborate argument for this, but I thought I would start with the conclusion and see what the reaction was.

Most Indian philosophy teaches that matter is unreal. I am beginning to think this is correct. After all, we have not been able to find anything at the bottom of it. it is only real by virtue of the forms that it takes, and the forms are intelligible rather than material.

But anyway, matter does not do anything at all. It is completely inert, passive. The word itself is derived from the same root as 'mother', as in 'mother earth'.

Have to go to a meeting will be back later.
Sentience

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 05:04 pm
@jeeprs,
Quote:
But anyway, matter does not do anything at all. It is completely inert, passive. The word itself is derived from the same root as 'mother', as in 'mother earth'.
Of course matter does not 'do anything,' implying it is sentient, but it acts as a median for causality to occur. For example, we can state that if you apply kinetic energy to matter, the matter will move. Cause and affect. If we apply inertia to the moving matter, the matter will slow. Cause and affect.
BillRM

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 05:23 pm
@Sentience,
It call the big bang and before the big bang time itself did not exist so stating something had to had existed before the first moment of time itself does not seem to follow all.

Second how is wheeling out a god head that in some way stand outside of space/time going to increase our understanding of the universe any more then wheeling out Zeus to explain lighting bolts did for our ancestors?

0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 05:30 pm
@Sentience,
If matter doesn't do anything, how does sentience arise? How can mind arise from matter? I don't believe it does, you see. It makes more sense to me that mind is the underlying cause, and matter is only arranged according to its intentions.