PREPOSITION DOUBT - THE REVENGE

feglau

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 06:13 am
HI GUYS,

I WAS WONDERING IF YOU COULD HELP ME OUT WITH THIS ONE... I WONDER WHICH PREPOSITIONS WE CAN USE WITH THE WORD "MOMENT"

IN A MOMENT? IN THE MOMENT? AT THE MOMENT? AT A MOMENT?

PLEASE, ANSWER ME ASAP...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,365 • Replies: 8
No top replies

thatsonanhhung

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 06:55 am
Hi there, Laughing

As far as I understand ...

in a moment... means later
(ex. Can you help ? - i'll be there in a moment )

at a (the) moment... means now...
(ex. He's working in the garage at the moment)

Roberta, please help !

TIA

TSAH
0 Replies

feglau

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 07:13 am
NOT CLEAR
YOUR EXPLANATION DIDNĀ“T SOUND RIGHT TO ME. AT (A/THE) MOMENT HAVE NO DIFFERENCE THEN?

PLEASE POST ASAP

THANKS
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 07:24 am
Well, this will most likely be more confusing, but I'll do my best.

'In a moment' could mean the same as 'just a minute', i.e. something that will be attended to shortly, but not immediately.

Also, a person can be 'caught in a moment', or 'caught in the moment', representing an emotional high point, where nothing else matters. The difference in meaning there is simply a matter of context. 'Caught in a moment' refers to a generic moment, while 'caught in the moment' designates something specific.

'At the moment' refers to something happening, i.e. "I'm busy at the moment." It can also be used descriptively, as in "At the moment the accident happened, so and so proceeded to cry profusely."

'At a moment' seems strange to me, and I don't think it is used much. Until Roberta gets here, that's the best I can do.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 07:27 am
Well, there is "at a moment's notice". . . Smile
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 07:32 am
Ahh, well that is true, but different than a simple 'at a moment'.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 07:50 am
What about "At a moment to be later determined" and suchlike? Sounds OK to me. . .
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 07:54 am
Hmm....my English-speaking days are long gone....I only speak idiom these days. That sounds very formal, but indeed correct.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 09:10 am
Feglau, Hi and welcome. You caught me at the right moment because I'll be going to sleep in a moment of two. But at the moment, I'm browsing a2k.

BTW, the answers you've gotten so far seem fine to me.

IN A MOMENT? IN THE MOMENT? AT THE MOMENT? AT A MOMENT?

In a moment. This means soon, not right this minute. Note that "moment" is a more formal way of saying "minute," which is more commonly used with this expression. In a minute (and in a moment) is most frequently used in response to someone who is nagging, annoying, or badgering you. Did you do your homework? In a minute, ma. Is that report ready. It will be in a moment.

In the moment. This expression refers to something special that is happening in real time. For example, actors often say that they were in the moment. They mean that while they were acting, they felt the reality of the situation as if it were actually happening.

At the moment. This simply means right now this minute. At the moment, I'm responding to your question.

At a moment. This expression is missing something. At a moment's notice? At a moment in time? It really doesn't mean anything all by itself.

I hope I helped. And now I'm off to sleep.
0 Replies