wayne

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 12:29 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

As I was walking on the stair
I met a man who wasn't there.
He wasn't there again today
Oh, how I wish he'd go away!

I have a feeling that some posters might be speculating on who that man who wasn't there, is.

I met that guy once myself, that's why I quit drinking.
0 Replies

ACB

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 05:38 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
As I was walking on the stair
I met a man who wasn't there.
He wasn't there again today
Oh, how I wish he'd go away!

I glared at him and shook my fist
And told him he did not exist:
"You're nothing, but that's just a word -
Your actual presence is absurd!"

"Though just a concept", he declared,
"I have the power to make you scared,
And thus I have one property,
Which proves my being. QED."
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 10:28 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:
Typo:

....I argue these concepts do NOT have existence by reference to a co-ordinate model.....
You had me worried there for a sec! I'll give your posts more thought over the next while, much obliged!
kennethamy

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 10:38 am
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:

fresco wrote:
Typo:

....I argue these concepts do NOT have existence by reference to a co-ordinate model.....
You had me worried there for a sec! I'll give your posts more thought over the next while, much obliged!

What was the difference whether or not he inserted the "not"?
Chumly

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 11:04 am
@kennethamy,
For fresco he'd say (something to the effect) that a single set of coordinates has no value in isolation.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 11:39 am
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:

For fresco he'd say (something to the effect) that a single set of coordinates has no value in isolation.

But what different does the negation sign make when what that means is so unclear?
Chumly

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 12:19 pm
@kennethamy,
Imagine (if you will) a point source with no other frame of reference.

Point source
Quote:
A point source is a single identifiable localized source of something. A point source has negligible extent, distinguishing it from other source geometries. Sources are called point sources because in mathematical modeling, these sources can usually be approximated as a mathematical point to simplify analysis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_source

Frame of reference
Quote:
A frame of reference in physics, may refer to a coordinate system or set of axes within which to measure the position, orientation, and other properties of objects in it...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_of_reference
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 12:14 pm
Since this thread has left the original issue, I want to summarize the answer to the original question. Now the original question was, "does 'nowhere' exist?" Now since "nowhere" is the term, "nowhere" and the term "nowhere" exists. The answer is, yes. The term "nowhere" does exist. However, since I do not think that original question was asking about whether a word exist, but was asking about whether what the term "nowhere" is supposed to refer to, exists. The answer to that question is, no. The reason is that the term, "nowhere" is not a name of a place. It is the denial of there being a place. And since the term "nowhere" is not the name of a place, and the question implies it is, that answer to the question is clearly, no.
north

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 10:37 pm

of course not

isn't this obvious ?
kennethamy

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 06:39 am
@north,
north wrote:

of course not

isn't this obvious ?

Not to the person who posed the question, and those who tried to answer the question assuming that nowhere was a place.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 04:09 pm
@kennethamy,
Hi Ken!
Of course I was referring to the place and not the term. Has anyone said otherwise? I've been away for a spell, so I wouldn't know.
Be well!
Mark...
kennethamy

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 05:49 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi Ken!
Of course I was referring to the place and not the term. Has anyone said otherwise? I've been away for a spell, so I wouldn't know.
Be well!
Mark...

But since the term does not refer to a place, and in fact, it is not the function of the term "nowhere" to refer, it makes no sense to talk about a place named, "nowhere". For, "nowhere" is not a name.
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 06:17 pm
@mark noble,
welcome back Mark, there still seems to be some disagreement on the nature of the word nowhere. However if you read back through the thread you will come to find that I am right lol.
kennethamy

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 08:39 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

welcome back Mark, there still seems to be some disagreement on the nature of the word nowhere. However if you read back through the thread you will come to find that I am right lol.

The word, "nowhere" is spelled, "nowhere". The word, "nowhere" is not the name of somewhere, since it is not a name in the first place. The mistake is to think that "nowhere" is a name simply because it is a noun. It is a variation on the same mistake of those who think that because "nothing" is a noun, it is the name of something. And, just as people who make that kind of mistake are led to postulate a something that is a nothing, so the people who make that kind of mistake, are led to postulate a somewhere that is a nowhere. Both are the victims of "the bewitchment of language of the intelligence". Their argument is:

1. "Nowhere" is a noun.
2. All nouns are the names
Therefore, 3. "nowhere" is a name.
4. But all names have bearers (something they name).
Therefore 5, there is a place called "nowhere"

So, let's figure out what that place is.

The false premise is, 4. (2 is also false, but I don't want to confuse you).
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2010 01:48 pm
@GoshisDead,
Hi Russ!
You ok?

Thank you for your welcoming gesture, my friend.

I have been following. Did you answer 'No'?

Kind regards!
Mark...
GoshisDead

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2010 02:41 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi Russ!
You ok?

Thank you for your welcoming gesture, my friend.

I have been following. Did you answer 'No'?

Kind regards!
Mark...

I answered that it does and doesn't
mark noble

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 08:55 am
@GoshisDead,
Hi Russ!

Then you are not right, IMO.

Mark...
GoshisDead

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 10:47 am
@mark noble,