Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 11:59 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi All!

As it reads - Does "nowhere" exist?

Have a great day!

Mark...

Well, lets enjoy the ride on this one !... Very Happy
(given I much appreciate this challenges of Mark to us all)
Nowhere does really exist !...where ? In nowhere of course...
It exists as non-existent, and has the major property of lacking...which is allot to be !!!
0 Replies

Arjuna

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 12:09 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi All!

Have a great day!

Mark...
Yes, it's a word. So is anywhere and everywhere. To say "I couldn't find it anywhere" might be the same as : "It was nowhere to be found."

Where is Michael Jackson? Nowhere.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 12:25 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna wrote:

mark noble wrote:

Hi All!

Have a great day!

Mark...
Yes, it's a word. So is anywhere and everywhere. To say "I couldn't find it anywhere" might be the same as : "It was nowhere to be found."

Where is Michael Jackson? Nowhere.

I knew he was hiding ! Very Happy (I miss the artist in him)
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 01:09 pm
@Arjuna,
Hi Arjuna!

How are you?

Are you saying that nowhere is somewhere, or that it is a word?

I would have phrased the thread: Does the word "nowhere" exist? if I was searching the latter.

Have a fantastic day, Arjuna.
Mark...
0 Replies

Transcend

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 02:50 pm
It's like saying 'nothing': 'what are you doing?' 'nothing'. They can't be doing nothing: they are breathing, thinking, smelling, tasting, sittting.

Is nowhere subjective? Like 'I'm in the middle of nowhere'.

What do you think Mark?

kennethamy

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 03:00 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi All!

Have a great day!

Mark...

Of course. Read Samuel Butler's novel, Erewhon which describes, in detail, all the curious goings on in Nowhere.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 03:07 pm
@Transcend,
Hi Mike!

I think you explained it well yourself. If "nowhere" is somewhere, it can't be nowhere. There is no such place as nowhere.

Everywhere has to be somewhere - Ergo "Somewhere" has to be everywhere. IMO anyway.

Thank you for joining in the debate, my friend.

Have a great day!
mark...
kennethamy

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 03:16 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi Mike!

I think you explained it well yourself. If "nowhere" is somewhere, it can't be nowhere. There is no such place as nowhere.

Everywhere has to be somewhere - Ergo "Somewhere" has to be everywhere. IMO anyway.

Thank you for joining in the debate, my friend.

Have a great day!
mark...

Read Samuel Butler's novel. How can anyone write a novel about nowhere? Well Samuel Butler did.
Transcend

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 03:18 pm
@mark noble,
Always glad to join in, Mark. Thanks for the excellent threads.

Mike
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 03:26 pm
I think it all hinges on what we mean by "exist." Often, a person means physically existence, and not just conceptual existence. Personally, I think all existence is conceptual, and that some of this conceptual existence is filed under "physical," which is itself just an abstraction.

On the one hand we have sensation-emotion and on the other the concepts that organize this sensation-emotion as well as other concepts. Nowhere would apparently not refer to sensation-emotion but instead function as the negation of "where." Does Nowhere exist? One might also asks if the Infinite exists. Does concept exist in its own sort of logical space? Are we touching on the problem of universals here? Does Micheal Jackson currently live in "logical space" / "memory?" Where are the snows of yesteryear? Where does the future live?
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 03:31 pm
@kennethamy,
Hi Ken!

I don't want to read this fella's novel. Have you got shares in the sales thereof? You seem awfully keen to get me to buy one!

Kind regards.
mark...
0 Replies

SammDickens

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 03:39 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi All!

Have a great day!

Mark...

Sure. It exists as a word (as others have said). It's very interesting. You combine the word for "this point in time" (now) and "this point in space" (here) and you get the word for "not anywhere, having no location" (nowhere).

It is one of my contentions that existence is not constrained to a space-time framework. Location, on the other hand, is constrained to a space-time framework, the one we know in our universe or some other. Therefore, it is essentially true that nowhere does exist; that is, that something exists without location, without place or time. Some may argue, to the contrary, that nowhere is a negative location reference and therefore has no meaning outside of a locational framework; hence, it does not exist. Which of these arguments is correct (or less wrong?)? Have fun with that one!

SammDickens
djjd62

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 03:55 pm

I think I'd like to go
back home
And take it easy
There's a woman that
I'd like to get to know
Living there
Everybody seems to wonder
What it's like down here
I gotta get away
from this day-to-day
running around,
Everybody knows
this is nowhere.
Everybody, everybody knows
Everybody knows.
Every time I think about
back home
It's cool and breezy
I wish that I could be there
right now
Just passing time.
Everybody seems to wonder
What it's like down here
I gotta get away
from this day-to-day
running around,
Everybody knows
this is nowhere.
Everybody, everybody knows
Everybody knows.
0 Replies

Arjuna

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 05:56 pm
@SammDickens,
SammDickens wrote:

It is one of my contentions that existence is not constrained to a space-time framework. Location, on the other hand, is constrained to a space-time framework, the one we know in our universe or some other. Therefore, it is essentially true that nowhere does exist; that is, that something exists without location, without place or time. Some may argue, to the contrary, that nowhere is a negative location reference and therefore has no meaning outside of a locational framework; hence, it does not exist. Which of these arguments is correct (or less wrong?)? Have fun with that one!

SammDickens
So the universe has no location. Logically, it couldn't. The universe is nowhere. So we have a thing that has no location. What kind of thing is the universe, though? Idea.

Idea and Location are in different categories. Location is an example of an idea.

Somewhere is an example of location, the specifics of which aren't nailed down.
0 Replies

Sentience

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 04:16 pm
Nowhere cannot exist anywhere. By it's own definition. Location is usually marked relative to somewhere else, so as long as something exists, there cannot be a nowhere. Even if you're outside of existence, then you're outside of existence, not nowhere.
mark noble

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 08:11 am
@Sentience,
Hi Sentience!

Exactly!

Have a good day!
Mark...
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 08:21 am
Sentience wrote:
Nowhere cannot exist anywhere. By it's own definition. Location is usually marked relative to somewhere else, so as long as something exists, there cannot be a nowhere. Even if you're outside of existence, then you're outside of existence, not nowhere.

This is how futile notions clash with the perceived reality of the layman.

The latter often says I found myself in the middle of nowhere.

If there's a middle therefore there's a nowhere.

You can argue: No way!

But then, how come that the layman found himself there, if there's no way to nowhere?

Is this discussion going nowhere?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 08:37 am
@mark noble,
Don't want to get off topic, but I can't resist this one, Wales.Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNRREguqHgs&feature=related

mark noble

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 10:30 am
@Letty,
Hi Dear Letty!

I love the beatles! Thank you for that!