engineer

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 02:57 pm
@hawkeye10,
I'd ask this: Who do you think represents the average player doing her part for the WTA? Every player could do more for the game, but I think you will have trouble finding players who meet the standard you are proposing, not because your standard is particularly high, but because tennis is not that kind of game. Davenport was a great promoter before she retired but she was extremely rare. Clisters is OK. Henin is clearly not. Sharapova is all about Sharapova and bringing in the endorsement dollars. Graf, possibly the biggest tennis name of all time on either tour was much more standoffish than the Williams sisters. Honestly, I don't think any of the top tier women players would meet your expectations, not one. The other part is that the WTA and the players are generally not on the same side. The WTA is a business who hires contractors (the players) to generate their product. On the men's side, there is occasional talk of a player's union staging a strike against the ATP. It will never happen because both sides have too much money on the table, but the players and the organizing bodies are not in a cozy, "let's promote the game" relationship. If a player can do a hit and giggle for 100K somewhere, she is going to tell the WTA to take its promotional event and stuff it. That is pretty routine for the big names. Those with less pull have to suck up to the tour since they are not pulling in the endorsement money, but the big names have the pull to look after their self interest. As I mentioned before, the Williams sisters are very interested in charity and do stuff on their own to support various causes. I think when compared to other big name tennis players, the Williams sisters don't stand out for being divisive.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 03:22 pm
@engineer,
you have to go back to Evert/Navratilova to find people who so dominated women tennis, were as important as the Willaims are to the success of tennis. To whom are endowed the greatest gifts are obligated the greatest responsibilities.

You will recall that in 06 Evert wrote an open letter to SW saying that she was wasting her talent, and needed to step up. I take that as her agreeing with me.

I generally agree with your point however.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 09:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
Of course they can, like any other human.

With certain posters on this board though, any bias (real or not) against a black person means that something racist is involved.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 10:02 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
With certain posters on this board though, any bias (real or not) against a black person means that something racist is involved.

Well, this hyper-sensitivity to race and especially perceived slights based upon race is epidemic in America. That does not mean that those of us who don't suffer from this affliction must give into it however.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 12:59 pm
@engineer,
To just add one more development in the mix, after Henin pulled out for the "Best of Belgium" exhibition match scheduled for this coming weekend, who filled in? Serena Williams. Of course Serena will probably get more in appearence fees for this than I will make in a year, but the promoter was certainly in a bind after Henin injured herself and Serena didn't have to stay in Europe for an extra week after pulling in £1,000,000 for winning Wimbledon.

Quote:
WIMBLEDON, England (AP)—Serena Williams is expected to fill in for an injured Justine Henin and play against Kim Clijsters in an exhibition match at a 40,000-seat stadium in Brussels next week.

Organizers have been hoping to break the record for highest attendance at a tennis match—the 30,492 at the 1973 “Battle of the Sexes” between Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs at the Houston Astrodome.

Henin pulled out of next Thursday’s match against Belgian rival Clijsters after injuring her right elbow at Wimbledon.

Asked Friday by a Belgian journalist at Wimbledon whether she’ll be in Belgium next week, Williams replied, “Yeah, I think I’ll come if you guys want me to.”
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 01:11 pm
@engineer,
They both seem to be taking their responsibilities more seriously of late I have noticed. I don't know why, or if it is likely to last. Maybe they are finally growing up.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 09:59 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

I think there's an unfortunate tendency not to give black athletes credit for being strategists, but rather to attribute everything to some kind of accidental freak brute force.

I'm way late to this...but

a. What's wrong with athleticism?

b. Why (if this is what yopu are doing) do you equate it to freak brute force?

Sure, there's some genetic component to athleticism, I suppose...but I don't see it as meaning innate freak thing...I see athleticism as including massive amounts of practice and fitness to make it useful.
snood

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 10:31 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

snood wrote:

I think there's an unfortunate tendency not to give black athletes credit for being strategists, but rather to attribute everything to some kind of accidental freak brute force.

I'm way late to this...but

a. What's wrong with athleticism?

b. Why (if this is what yopu are doing) do you equate it to freak brute force?

Sure, there's some genetic component to athleticism, I suppose...but I don't see it as meaning innate freak thing...I see athleticism as including massive amounts of practice and fitness to make it useful.

I'm certainly not saying there's anything "wrong with athletics".

I'm saying it's not some accident of genetics to be summarily dismissed. I'm saying that there has been a history of sports announcers underrating Black athletes, and that I think I see it in the way the Williams sisters' matches were called at Wimbledon.

The issue is not a product of my imagination, or some derivative of a festering persecution complex. Black athletes were long thought to not have the cerebral capacity or strength of personality to be quarterbacks, or coaches, or any position in athletic pursuits that required individual creative thought and the capability for dynamic decision making. Just like at one time Blacks were not considered capable of piloting jets, or comprehending the theories and techniques that are required to be physicians, or internalizing the gravity of commanding troops.

I'm saying that there are vestiges of the attitude that when Blacks are good - simply good - at something, it is to be attributed to something besides the same excellence it takes for anyone to be good at that thing.

I still see it in the coverage of certain sporting events. If you don't see it, that's fine with me - nothing to holler about, to each his or her own...
Thomas

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 11:50 pm
@snood,
Snood wrote:
Sharapova's points are displays of her "ability" and "talent" and "skill", but Serena's are "physicality" and "athleticism".

I would agree with you if the Williams Sisters and their Wimbledon competition were like two black pebbles among otherwise identical white pebbles. But they're not. When you compare the players' physiques, you will find that the Williams Sisters stand out. They stand out because they are much more muscular, serve much faster, and are, just in general, much more athletic than their competition. It isn't racism for reporters to observe that. Even if they make that the only thread in their storyline, that makes them lazy, but still not racist.

In all friendship, I still think you're a bit too attached to the role of being racially persecuted. I believe I said something like that to you years ago, early in Sozobe's Obama thread, when you said Obama didn't have a chance, I said you were wrong and that he did, and you suggested that I was being polyannish about American racism. Two years on, with Obama firmly in office, your attachment to the role seems to stand essentially unchanged.
snood

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 12:26 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Snood wrote:
Sharapova's points are displays of her "ability" and "talent" and "skill", but Serena's are "physicality" and "athleticism".

I would agree with you if the Williams Sisters and their Wimbledon competition were like two black pebbles among otherwise identical white pebbles. But they're not. When you compare the players' physiques, you will find that the Williams Sisters stand out. They stand out because they are much more muscular, serve much faster, and are, just in general, much more athletic than their competition. It isn't racism for reporters to observe that. Even if they make that the only thread in their storyline, that makes them lazy, but still not racist.

In all friendship, I still think you're a bit too attached to the role of being racially persecuted. I believe I said something like that to you years ago, early in Sozobe's Obama thread, when you said Obama didn't have a chance, I said you were wrong and that he did, and you suggested that I was being polyannish about American racism. Two years on, with Obama firmly in office, your attachment to the role seems to stand essentially unchanged.

"In all friendship" Thomas, we're not friends, and never have been. But you're certainly entitled to your opinion of me and the "role" I'm "clinging" to (even in spite of a black president for two years, imagine!!). We're even. The opinion I've gotten from reading your posts over time is also unflattering.

...and just for the record...
At the time I was thoroughly convinced that Obama didn't have a chance, and that his race was going to be a disability at the polls, every black person I knew (how many do you know?) were very dubious about his chances. they came around after Iowa - as did I.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 12:38 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
"In all friendship" Thomas, we're not friends, and never have been.

You know, you have a chip on your shoulder about a whole lot more than race. Jebus.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 12:38 am
@snood,
Yeah, I know the history...I am just not sure, in this case, if that is what is meant by commenting on their athleticism.

Could be just how I think of it though...I look at those two women and I see the massive effort they have put into getting their bodies into that state of strength, not some freak physical powers granted by nature (though I assume not everybody is able to get their bodies into that sort of state no matter how much they work.)

Re your other current thread.....by the bye....I don't think that race can possibly be something that we cannot keep thinking about, in your country or mine, as long as, for instance, the proportions of black to white in prisons remain so out of kilter with their proportions in the population in general.

So...I often agree with you when you raise race as an issue and others disagree...but, for whatever it's worth, that doesn't mean I always see race as an issue when you do.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 12:50 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Snood wrote:

I am thinking that the contrast between athletes who have developed great strength, vs those who are much less strong, and can only win against more powerful opponents by technique and finesse is often made in many sports, and about all manner of athletes, and very frequently without any difference in race.

I can see how, when race and its history in the US, is added to the mix, that sensitivities would arise...but I think it's pretty stock commentary in many situations NOT involving race in any way.

Just out of interest, did you just see that bias at Wimbledon, and were they English or US commentators that you listened to?

I have watched the sisters play a lot, especially when they have been in Oz, and not noticed anything biased in the commentary, except a lot of admiration, I guess.
engineer

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 06:31 am
A couple of remarks only tangentially related to the thread as a whole.
Quote:

BRUSSELS -- A world record tennis crowd has watched Kim Clijsters defeat Wimbledon champion Serena Williams 6-3, 6-2 in an exhibition in Brussels.

The crowd of 35,681 at King Baudouin Stadium on Thursday surpassed the previous record of 30,472 set in 1973 at the Houston Astrodome in the Battle of the Sexes match between Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs.

Clijsters was originally scheduled to play Belgian Justine Henin, but Henin withdrew after injuring her elbow at Wimbledon. Top-ranked Williams agreed to replace Henin despite a foot injury.

Read more: http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/07/08/1576966/world-record-crowd-watches-clijsters.html?storylink=mirelated#ixzz0tTBCfARG

I noted this earlier, but Serena saved this promoter's butt by stepping in one week after Wimbledon and playing with a minor injury. Of course, she probably walked away with a substantial check as well, but still a classy move IMO.

Next, the main tennis writer in Sports Illustrated declares Williams the GOAT (Greatest of All Time - a source of debate and entertainment for tennis fans) in the newest issue. Here is an excerpt from Jon Wertheim's mailbag where he defends his declaration:
Quote:
Serena has the most fearsome serve -- i.e. the most important stroke -- in women's tennis history, and it would be the case even if everyone used the same technology. (She uses natural gut strings by the way.) She is the best athlete in women's tennis history, likely the fastest and the strongest. And she competes as well as any athlete -- not tennis player; athlete -- you'll ever come across.

But here's where I really feel strongly: Head-to-head, on a neutral surface (i.e. hard courts), everyone at their best, I can't help feeling that she crushes the other legends. Sacrilege, I know. But spark up of video of other players, watch where their balls land in the court or how hard they serve or how they move and then consider Serena's game. She would blow through Evert. She wouldn't allow Navratilova (who looks like a pixie next to Serena) a chance to attack. She would tee off on Graf's slice. Again, this isn't to disrespect the others; it's progress. But I think it counts for a lot that no one has ever played tennis at a higher level than Serena has. (It's the same reason, incidentally, that I was early to pronounce Federer the male GOAT. You just know watching him that no one has played better tennis qualitatively and surely that has to count for something.)

The big knock on Serena is her wavering commitment and sparse schedule. But that, too, needs to be reassessed. At a time when tennis has never been a) more physical and b) more global, it's not realistic to expect her to play 18 events a year. And considering the fate of her contemporaries (leaving aside the one who was hospitalized for an OD, we've had retirements, unretirements, burnouts and fast fades), Serena's approach to scheduling and "outside interests" made a lot of sense in retrospect.

That's only about a third of what he wrote, but it's the heart of it. I think that amoung those who routinely follow tennis that Serena Williams commands respect in line with other tennis greats wh0 came before her. While she may not command the "Miss America" image of Evert, nor does she suffer the homophobia and tabloid atmosphere that surrounded Navratilova. (For those unfamiliar, the comment about tennis strings is related to the new polyester strings that some players are using to get more spin and power on their shots.)
snood

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 08:33 am
@engineer,
Fascinatin' stuff, engineer. thanks for posting it.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 09:54 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Just out of interest, did you just see that bias at Wimbledon, and were they English or US commentators that you listened to?

I have heard a lot of stock commentaries about athleticism and technique, but I have never detected any racial undertone to it. Nadal, for example, is white, athletic, and not-too-often credited by reporters for elegant tactical maneuvers he makes. Every time I heard either of them praised for their athleticism, it seemed like genuine praise to me--- and why not? They're athletes! There never seemed to be any undertone of disparaging their other qualities.

These observations apply both to the commentators on both American TV, where I watched Wimbledon this year and last year, and on German TV, where I watched it for most of the rest of my life.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 10:13 am
@snood,
Snood wrote:
"In all friendship" Thomas, we're not friends, and never have been. But you're certainly entitled to your opinion of me and the "role" I'm "clinging" to (even in spite of a black president for two years, imagine!!). We're even. The opinion I've gotten from reading your posts over time is also unflattering.

I'm glad you've got this off your chest.

Snood wrote:
...and just for the record...
At the time I was thoroughly convinced that Obama didn't have a chance, and that his race was going to be a disability at the polls, every black person I knew (how many do you know?) were very dubious about his chances. they came around after Iowa - as did I.

That's your problem right there. We all form our opinions partly from what other people say. But you apparently formed yours only from what other black people said---rejecting what white people had to say about Obama's chances. And to answer your question: In 2006, when Sozobe started her thread, I wasn't acquainted with any blacks in real life. That's because I was living in Germany, and the percentage of Blacks in the German population is negligible. I did correspond with a couple of blacks on the internet---you and three others. Although I did listen to them, I regarded their opinions as one perspective among many. I didn't---and still don't---think blacks have a monopoly on competently analyzing race relations in the US.
aidan

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 10:46 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
rejecting what white people had to say about Obama's chances.

What white people?
The way I remember the situation, speaking with my mostly white friends and family in all facets of my life, there was a lot of hope, but also quite a lot of trepidation at the thought that we might be sacrificing the election by having nominated Obama, because although we all believed he was the best candidate, most of us white people who'd lived in America our entire lives didn't dare believe that the time had yet arrived when a black man could be elected. I know there were HUGE celebrations and a lot of tears of happiness, precisely because it DID seem so miraculous that the time had really arrived.

I don't remember any white people thinking this was any sort of sure thing or slam dunk. I know I kept vacillating back and forth wondering whether I should vote for Hilary, although I wanted Obama, because I truly thought Hilary had the better chance of winning the election and I didn't want McCain.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 10:50 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
most of us white people who'd lived in America our entire lives

fascinating
snood

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 10:56 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Quote:
rejecting what white people had to say about Obama's chances.

What white people?
The way I remember the situation, speaking with my mostly white friends and family in all facets of my life, there was a lot of hope, but also quite a lot of trepidation at the thought that we might be sacrificing the election by having nominated Obama, because although we all believed he was the best candidate, most of us white people who'd lived in America our entire lives didn't dare believe that the time had yet arrived when a black man could be elected. I know there were HUGE celebrations and a lot of tears of happiness, precisely because it DID seem so miraculous that the time had really arrived.

I don't remember any white people thinking this was any sort of sure thing or slam dunk. I know I kept vacillating back and forth wondering whether I should vote for Hilary, although I wanted Obama, because I truly thought Hilary had the better chance of winning the election and I didn't want McCain.

That was the reality, aidan - the people (white and black) that I was close to and communicated with regularly wanted Obama, but were scared they would be throwing their vote away by voting for a black man before the country was ready for a black president. The reality is those people (including me) all had significant emotional events on inauguration night - because something that was miraculous (to us) had happened.