aidan

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 10:57 am
@ehBeth,
Yeah - sorry - my friends and family have lived in America their entire lives - I've lived in America 9/10 of my life - not quite entire. Please excuse my mistake,
If you find that fascinating - you probably need a new hobby.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 11:01 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Snood wrote:
"In all friendship" Thomas, we're not friends, and never have been. But you're certainly entitled to your opinion of me and the "role" I'm "clinging" to (even in spite of a black president for two years, imagine!!). We're even. The opinion I've gotten from reading your posts over time is also unflattering.

I'm glad you've got this off your chest.

Snood wrote:
...and just for the record...
At the time I was thoroughly convinced that Obama didn't have a chance, and that his race was going to be a disability at the polls, every black person I knew (how many do you know?) were very dubious about his chances. they came around after Iowa - as did I.

That's your problem right there. We all form our opinions partly from what other people say. But you apparently formed yours only from what other black people said---rejecting what white people had to say about Obama's chances. And to answer your question: In 2006, when Sozobe started her thread, I wasn't acquainted with any blacks in real life. That's because I was living in Germany, and the percentage of Blacks in the German population is negligible. I did correspond with a couple of blacks on the internet---you and three others. Although I did listen to them, I regarded their opinions as one perspective on many. I didn't---and still don't---think blacks have a monopoly on competently analyzing race relations in the US.

So happy for you that you have such a firm grasp on "my problem". The way I see yours is similar to the problem many southern whites have in my opinion - a most unfortunate combination of proud ignorance and deep arrogance.
aidan

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 11:01 am
@snood,
Yeah - I watched until 4:00 in the morning - not daring to believe it could really be happening. There were tears of shocked and happy disbelief in our house that night.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 11:03 am
@aidan,
There was never a doubt in my mind that he could win - and I bet heavily that he WOULD win. Actually, from January 08 onward, it was pretty clear that he was gonna win.

Cycloptichorn
snood

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 11:06 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Yeah - I watched until 4:00 in the morning - not daring to believe it could really be happening. There were tears of shocked and happy disbelief in our house that night.

...and I see that as an honest reaction to the events that unfolded. I would characterize the smug certainty and expectation at the time of Obama's victory being expressed by Thomas as disingenuous - I would, but that would be assuming that Thomas knows just how wrong he is.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 11:07 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

There was never a doubt in my mind that he could win - and I bet heavily that he WOULD win. Actually, from January 08 onward, it was pretty clear that he was gonna win.

Cycloptichorn

I think I believe you, cyclops, just based on reading you over time...

but I think my point is that you were in the minority with your certainty - certainly until Iowa.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 11:11 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

I think I believe you, cyclops, just based on reading you over time...

but I think my point is that you were in the minority with your certainty - certainly until Iowa.

Iowa was in fact in January of 08 - I strongly suspected he would win but wasn't sure until he started proving it with victories. Once he had sealed the Dem nomination, however, it was exceedingly obvious that McCain had zero chance to beat him - the man was outclassed in every respect.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 11:11 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
The way I see yours is similar to the problem many southern whites have in my opinion - a most unfortunate combination of proud ignorance and deep arrogance.

That's alright---I take pride in my arrogance. As for ignorance: In our 2006 exchange, I got Obama's prospects right and you got them wrong. How is that ignorance on my part?
snood

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 11:16 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

snood wrote:
The way I see yours is similar to the problem many southern whites have in my opinion - a most unfortunate combination of proud ignorance and deep arrogance.

That's alright---I take pride in my arrogance. As for ignorance: In our 2006 exchange, I got Obama's prospects right and you got them wrong. How is that ignorance on my part?

Your equating your correct prediction with lack of ignorance only highlights your ignorance. But please continue living in your goofy self-congratulatory haze. No skin off me.
Thomas

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 11:23 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
Your equating your correct prediction with lack of ignorance only highlights your ignorance.

Just out of curiosity---can you name three posters on A2K who disagree with you on the issue of race an whom you don't consider ignorant?
aidan

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 11:27 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:

Yep - my son felt the same way. I was fretting and worrying and he was confident Obama would win.
I can only attribute it to our differing generations. Civil rights was in the distant past as far as he was concerned, and all that went along with it part of a bygone era,whereas for me and my friends and probably other whites of our generation - although change had come- we just weren't able to totally have faith in something that we gave chances of happening in our lifetime slim to none - no matter what the numbers said.

So yeah -age of the voter probably played a role in being able to envision the outcome with any sort of confidence.
(As well as being afraid to hope to0 much for something that might not happen).

snood

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 11:30 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

snood wrote:
Your equating your correct prediction with lack of ignorance only highlights your ignorance.

Just out of curiosity---can you name three posters on A2K who disagree with you on the issue of race an whom you don't consider ignorant?

That'd probably be about as difficult for me as it would for you to recall the last three face to face conversations you had with a black person. What's your point?
By the way, Cyclops, Joe Nation and frank Apisa have all disagreed with me on race issues. And I don't think they're at all ignorant.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 11:30 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Quote:

Yep - my son felt the same way. I was fretting and worrying and he was confident Obama would win.
I can only attribute it to the our differing generations. Civil rights was in the distant past as far as he was concerned- and all that went along with it part of a bygone era-whereas for me and my friends and whites of our generation - although change had come- we just weren't that able to totally have faith in something that we had believed within our lifetime was too good to be true.

So yeah age of the voter probably played a role in being able to envision the outcome with any sort of confidence.

Spot on. It was hard for me to see why older folks have their knickers in such a twist over the fact he was half-black. It was and remains the least important attribute he has and the worst one with which to judge someone.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 11:31 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

Thomas wrote:

snood wrote:

That'd probably be about as difficult for me as it would for you to recall the last three face to face conversations you had with a black person. What's your point?

Aw

This conversation is making me a sad panda, I don't see anything good coming of it Sad

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 11:35 am
By the way Thomas,

Cyclopticorn, Frank Apisa, Joe Nation, Aidan, Setanta and Lash have all disagreed with me at one time or another, to one degree or another aobut racial issues. And I see them all as far from ignorant.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 11:38 am
@Cycloptichorn,
It's wasn't the fact of his race that gave me and my friends pause at all. We had just come up during a time when we had SEEN with our own eyes the discrimination directed against black people and it was difficult to believe that that had really dissipated enough in the minds of enough people that there would be enough unbiased support to elect this man.

Are you kidding me? We were over the moon that it proved to be true - but you know - part of me is still happily surprised.
What can I tell you - we saw what we saw. Maybe people your age and younger have been lucky enough not to have seen the same stuff.
I can only weep with joy if that is true-just like I wept with joy the night our country elected Barack Obama.
Thomas

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 11:43 am
@snood,
My last three face-to-face with a black person would all have been chats with "Aleesha", a community college student and fellow volunteer at my local library.

My point in asking the question was to confirm or contradict my suspicion that disagreement with your opinions constitutes, ipso facto ignorance for you. If you frequently disagree with Cycloptichorn, Joe Nation, and Frank Apisa, this suspicion is refuted.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 11:51 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

It's wasn't the fact of his race that gave me and my friends pause at all. We had just come up during a time when we had SEEN with our own eyes the discrimination directed against black people and it was difficult to believe that that had really dissipated enough in the minds of enough people that there would be enough unbiased support to elect this man.

Are you kidding me? We were over the moon that it proved to be true - but you know - part of me is still happily surprised.
What can I tell you - we saw what we saw. Maybe people your age and younger have been lucky enough not to have seen the same stuff.
I can only weep with joy if that is true-just like I wept with joy the night our country elected Barack Obama.

This is exactly the opinion that most older folks I know had - they didn't care about his race personally, but were convinced that everybody else did!

Cycloptichorn
aidan

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 12:11 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Interesting when you put it like that, which is only logical. At the time I didn't realize that when it got down to it - that's what my thinking amounted to-I didn't have faith in other individuals.

When I think now of how I'd describe what I was thinking, it was more a perception of an overriding American identity or cultural entity that I couldn't believe could be overridden at that point.

It just seemed too much to hope for- but I was happy to be proven wrong.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 12:17 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Interesting when you put it like that, which is only logical. At the time I didn't realize that when it got down to it - that's what my thinking amounted to-I didn't have faith in other individuals.

When I think now of how I'd describe what I was thinking, it was more a perception of an overriding American identity or cultural entity that I couldn't believe could be overridden at that point.

It just seemed too much to hope for- but I was happy to be proven wrong.

Yeah. I really am a true believer that our society here in America is marching down the path of Liberalism and equality on a slow and steady pace. I think that people who haven't put a lot of effort into studying the changes which have happened - huge changes over the last 50 years alone - don't see just how far we've come, and the trajectory that we are on.

Cycloptichorn