Every truth must be true

guigus

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 10:41 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
But that does not make me ambiguous. It only makes me different in respect to the change in my cells. To be different is not to be ambiguous. Just because I have gained a pound this week, does not make be ambiguous. That is not how the word "ambiguous" is used in English.

Different from what? There is no difference in itself. To be different is to be different from something. And your body, from what is it different if not from itself? There it is: the contradiction between a difference and an identity (your body being different from itself, to which it is also identical) in which consists all ambiguity.
guigus

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 06:08 am
@kennethamy,
I want to be much clearer about this. Take what you said:

kennethamy wrote:
But that does not make me ambiguous. It only makes me different [from what?] in respect to the change in my cells.

Now try to answer the question within square brackets. You will see that the only possible answer is that you (your body today) are different from yourself (your body yesterday). That is, you are different from something to which you are also identical, hence the ambiguity.
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 06:19 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
But what does it mean for truth to be true, let alone necessarily true?

For truth to be true means whatever you believe to be true having a counterpart outside your head. And for truth to be necessarily true means that if whatever you believe to be true does not have a counterpart outside your head, then it is untrue. You confuse this necessity with the necessity that whatever is outside your head would have of being there - independently of what you believe - hence with the necessity of whatever you believe as true to be true - as if it were the same as whatever is there outside your head. However, the necessity I mean is the one by which, for whatever you believe as true to be true, the corresponding state of affairs must be there in the world outside your head.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 06:52 am
@kennethamy,
Hi !
...only if you change back again to your previous state...(but also makes you a sci-fi "metamorph". Mr. Green )
The uncertainty between two given states would make you ambiguous.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 06:57 am
@guigus,
guigus wrote:

kennethamy wrote:
But what does it mean for truth to be true, let alone necessarily true?

For truth to be true means whatever you believe to be true having a counterpart outside your head. And for truth to be necessarily true means that if whatever you believe to be true does not have a counterpart outside your head, then it is untrue. You confuse this necessity with the necessity that whatever is outside your head would have of being there - independently of what you believe - hence with the necessity of whatever you believe as true to be true - as if it were the same as whatever is there outside your head. However, the necessity I mean is the one by which, for whatever you believe as true to be true, the corresponding state of affairs must be there in the world outside your head.

If a true statement is true, then there is some fact, or state of affairs, in virtue of which that statement is true. (As Aristotle puts it, "To say that something is true is to say that what is, is; and to say that what is not, is not). But for a true statement to be necessarily true, is for it to be impossible that it is false. What is not a necessary truth is a contingent truth. That is how the terms, "true" and "necessarily true" have always been used in philosophy. Let me give you examples of both:

First, an example of a necessary truth: All bachelors are unmarried males. For it would be logically impossible for someone to be a bachelor, but not an unmarried male. It is not only that all bachelors are unmarried males, it is that it must be that all bachelors are unmarried males. If you just think about this for a moment, you will see that I am right.

Next. An example of a contingent truth. All mammals have livers. That is anatomically and biologically true. But note, although it is true that all mammals do have livers, and there may be some biological reason for this, it is not necessarily true that all mammals have livers. Which is to say that it is not logically impossible for mammals not to have livers. Again, although it is true that all mammals do have liver, it is not necessarily true that all mammals have livers. It is only contingently true that all mammals have livers. So, it would not be impossible for there to be a mammal without a liver, but (nevertheless) there are no mammals without livers.

And, if you think about this for a moment, you will see that I am right about this too.

Since, as you see, it is true that all mammals have livers, but that it is not necessarily true that all mammals have livers (since it is not logically impossible for there to be a mammal that does not have a liver) it follows that some true statements are not necessarily true. For example, the statement that all mammals have livers.

I hope this helps you.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 06:58 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Hi !
...only if you change back again...(but also makes you a sci-fi "metamorph". Mr. Green )
The uncertainty between two given states would make you ambiguous.

Only language can be ambiguous. Ambiguity is a property of language.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 07:01 am
Haven´t you eared on someone with an ambiguous behaviour ? hmmm...
Sometimes I wonder how is it that you accept Darwinian Theory´s given this type of comments that you do now and then...
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 07:07 am
@guigus,
guigus wrote:

kennethamy wrote:
But that does not make me ambiguous. It only makes me different in respect to the change in my cells. To be different is not to be ambiguous. Just because I have gained a pound this week, does not make be ambiguous. That is not how the word "ambiguous" is used in English.

Different from what? There is no difference in itself. To be different is to be different from something. And your body, from what is it different if not from itself? There it is: the contradiction between a difference and an identity (your body being different from itself, to which it is also identical) in which consists all ambiguity.

I weigh more than I did yesterday. Therefore my body differs from yesterday. That is not to say that I have a different body from the one I had yesterday. But that my body is changed. It does not follow that because there is a change in B. that B(1) is not identical with B. That is because it is possible for something to change and yet be the same thing. And that is because there are two senses of the word, "same". "Same" meaning "identical" and meaning "qualitatively the same". How to understand what it means for something to persist (be the same) although it also changes, is, of course, a philosophical problem, and is what philosophers are supposed to deal with.
guigus

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 07:13 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
I weigh more than I did yesterday. Therefore my body differs from yesterday. That is not to say that I have a different body from the one I had yesterday. But that my body is changed.

That is, that your body is different today from what it was yesterday. I'm sorry, but there is no way of escaping this: you are just playing with words here. For example: "my body differs from [itself as it was] yesterday." You are not comparing your body with the day yesterday, but with your body as it was yesterday - the same body - and it results different from itself.
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 07:20 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
But for a true statement to be necessarily true, is for it to be impossible that it is false. What is not a necessary truth is a contingent truth. That is how the terms, "true" and "necessarily true" have always been used in philosophy.

That's fine, I already know (for quite some time now) what necessity means to you. How about what it means to me? Don't worry too much about the traditional use of the word "necessity." No philosopher can worry too much about tradition without ceasing to be a philosopher. Can you please answer me: did you understand what necessity means to me?
kennethamy

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 07:40 am
@guigus,
guigus wrote:

kennethamy wrote:
But for a true statement to be necessarily true, is for it to be impossible that it is false. What is not a necessary truth is a contingent truth. That is how the terms, "true" and "necessarily true" have always been used in philosophy.

That's fine, I already know (for quite some time now) what necessity means to you. How about what it means to me? Don't worry too much about the traditional use of the word "necessity." No philosopher can worry too much about tradition without ceasing to be a philosopher. Can you please answer me: did you understand what necessity means to me?

No I don't. But, then again, I don't really care what "necessity" happens to mean to you or to some particular individual. For example, if it meant "fried eggs sunny side up" to you (or anyone else) it really would not matter. I care only about what the term "necessity" means. But I think you should not dismiss what philosophers have meant by necessity so readily. Philosophers like Kant, and like Leibniz, who were geniuses, have thought long and hard about this notion. And have said important things about it. I see no good reason to suppose that whatever eccentric meaning you would like to give to the idea is worth more than theirs is. And, from what I have read, you have not convinced me that you are not confused. So, my advice to you is to learn what those terms mean in philosophy, and say why you think what they mean is defective or inadequate before you go off on your own. After all, what would you think of someone who decided that what physicists meant by "mass" or by "force" could be dismissed, and that he could simply offer new definitions of those terms? Why would anyone pay any attention to him, particularly if he gave no reasons why the standard way in which those terms were used should not be adhered to? Why should philosophy be any different? Answer, it is not. I think you should be more modest, and maybe, when you have learned what philosophers like Leibniz, or Kant, or more recently, Quite and Davidson, and Kripke, have had to say about truth and necessity, you can first criticize their views, and then offer some revisions. Only then would you deserve to be taken seriously. But not until then. Philosophy is a discipline like any other (like physics, or like history). You have to learn about it before you can discuss it, let alone make criticisms. And you cannot suddenly offer replacements unless you say what is you think is wrong with what we already have. It may be, of course, that if you are a genius (say, like Einstein) you can entirely reshape what we already think. But even Einstein already understood the the accepted knowledge of Newton, and before he offered his revolutionary revisions, he carefully detailed why he believed that Newtonian physics was defective and inadequate. Then, he presented his own theory. It was because he had given reasons that Newtonian physics would not do, that Einstein was listened to, and taken serious. Einstein did not simply reject traditional physics out of hand, and then offer his own views. And, not only did he offer his own views, but he gave long and detailed argument for them. If he had not: (a) given long and detailed criticisms of Newtonian physics, and if he had not then not merely offered his revisions, but also given powerful and detailed arguments for his own views, no one would have taken him seriously. And they would have been right not to do so. For they would correctly have called him a "crackpot". Almost everyday someone claims to have invented a perpetual motion machine, but the U.S. patent office will pay not attention to him because such a machine would be physically impossible, for it would be inconsistent with the second law of thermodynamics. When someone not only presents his perpetual motion machine, but also presents a refutation of the second law of thermodynamics will the US Patent Office even consider his "invention" seriously, and not think he is a crackpot.
fast

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 08:21 am
@kennethamy,
Nicely put!
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 10:16 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
No I don't. But, then again, I don't really care what "necessity" happens to mean to you or to some particular individual.

OK, I think this is clear enough. I'm done with you, if you don't mind (and you surely don't).
guigus

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 10:26 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

What do you mean only words are ambiguous ?
Meaning is ambiguous as behaviour can well be.
What does makes ambiguous on your view ?
Changing and changing back again sure is pretty ambiguous to me...
Maybe your notion of ambiguous is turning a little bit ambiguous...

He champions the classical view of logic, in which contradiction and ambiguity are not accepted. It is like medieval Catholicism, in which it was not acceptable that the Earth moved. The difference is that, in the case of symbolic logic, nothing else moves.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 10:27 am
@guigus,
guigus wrote:

kennethamy wrote:
No I don't. But, then again, I don't really care what "necessity" happens to mean to you or to some particular individual.

OK, I think this is clear enough. I'm done with you, if you don't mind (and you surely don't).

I agree. But why don't you consider what I say. Philosophers are a community of scholars, not wild men off in a jungle of their own. Philosophers are more like physicists or historians, they are not artists being inspired to paint pretty pictures. As Oliver Cromwell said in his speech to the Long Parliament to his opponents: "Consider Sirs that you may be wrong". It is not up to you to decide what the word "necessary" (or any other word means). Where would your authority to do so come from. Would it be right for me to give whatever private meaning I like to a word and expect you to accept it just on my sayso? Think about it. Who knows, you may come to think that you are entirely on the wrong track. And that would be necessary for you to get on the right track. No one receives their knowledge from God, you know. We are all of us, fallible human beings, and knowledge is a social commondity.
guigus

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 10:31 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
No I don't. But, then again, I don't really care what "necessity" happens to mean to you or to some particular individual. For example, if it meant "fried eggs sunny side up" to you (or anyone else) it really would not matter. I care only about what the term "necessity" means. But I think you should not dismiss what philosophers have meant by necessity so readily. Philosophers like Kant, and like Leibniz, who were geniuses, have thought long and hard about this notion. And have said important things about it. I see no good reason to suppose that whatever eccentric meaning you would like to give to the idea is worth more than theirs is. And, from what I have read, you have not convinced me that you are not confused. So, my advice to you is to learn what those terms mean in philosophy, and say why you think what they mean is defective or inadequate before you go off on your own. After all, what would you think of someone who decided that what physicists meant by "mass" or by "force" could be dismissed, and that he could simply offer new definitions of those terms? Why would anyone pay any attention to him, particularly if he gave no reasons why the standard way in which those terms were used should not be adhered to? Why should philosophy be any different? Answer, it is not. I think you should be more modest, and maybe, when you have learned what philosophers like Leibniz, or Kant, or more recently, Quite and Davidson, and Kripke, have had to say about truth and necessity, you can first criticize their views, and then offer some revisions. Only then would you deserve to be taken seriously. But not until then. Philosophy is a discipline like any other (like physics, or like history). You have to learn about it before you can discuss it, let alone make criticisms. And you cannot suddenly offer replacements unless you say what is you think is wrong with what we already have. It may be, of course, that if you are a genius (say, like Einstein) you can entirely reshape what we already think. But even Einstein already understood the the accepted knowledge of Newton, and before he offered his revolutionary revisions, he carefully detailed why he believed that Newtonian physics was defective and inadequate. Then, he presented his own theory. It was because he had given reasons that Newtonian physics would not do, that Einstein was listened to, and taken serious. Einstein did not simply reject traditional physics out of hand, and then offer his own views. And, not only did he offer his own views, but he gave long and detailed argument for them. If he had not: (a) given long and detailed criticisms of Newtonian physics, and if he had not then not merely offered his revisions, but also given powerful and detailed arguments for his own views, no one would have taken him seriously. And they would have been right not to do so. For they would correctly have called him a "crackpot". Almost everyday someone claims to have invented a perpetual motion machine, but the U.S. patent office will pay not attention to him because such a machine would be physically impossible, for it would be inconsistent with the second law of thermodynamics. When someone not only presents his perpetual motion machine, but also presents a refutation of the second law of thermodynamics will the US Patent Office even consider his "invention" seriously, and not think he is a crackpot.

OK, I told I was done with you, but I couldn't resist citing Einstein to you:

As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.

Of course, if you really mean it when you say that you "don't really care what 'necessity' happens to mean to you [to me] or to some particular individual," then you also don't give a damn about what Einstein has to say, but I sometimes have unjustified hope on people.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 10:32 am
@guigus,
guigus wrote:

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

What do you mean only words are ambiguous ?
Meaning is ambiguous as behaviour can well be.
What does makes ambiguous on your view ?
Changing and changing back again sure is pretty ambiguous to me...
Maybe your notion of ambiguous is turning a little bit ambiguous...

He champions the classical view of logic, in which contradiction and ambiguity are not accepted. It is like medieval Catholicism, in which it was not acceptable that the Earth moved. The difference is that, in the case of symbolic logic, nothing else moves.

And you are willing to accept contradiction? Can you tell me why, since all contradictions are necessarily false, and if you accept contradiction you must accept the false as well as the true. Is that what you want? In any case, whether you want it or not, you are committed to accepting the false if you accept contradiction. Just as long as you realize that. If you do not mind believing what is false, that is all right. Just realize what you are committed to.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 10:39 am
@guigus,
guigus wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

OK, I told I was done with you, but I couldn't resist citing Einstein to you:

As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.

Of course if you "don't really care what 'necessity' happens to mean to you [to me] or to some particular individual," and if you are serious about that, you also don't give a damn about what Einstein has to say, but I sometimes have unjustified hope on people.

Could you please explain to me why if I don't care what private meaning some individual happens to give to his words, I don't care what Einstein says. Do you think that Einstein gave a private meaning to his words? Why would you think such a peculiar thing? Einstein did, of course, try to re-understand space and time. But he presented arguments for his views, argument that convinced his peers in the scientific community that he was right. Now, if you can do the same thing, and present arguments which will convince those in the philosophical community that you are right, then have a go. So far, I have seen no arguments, but only pronouncements, coupled with conviction that you are right and abuse for those who are waiting for your arguments for your views (whatever they may be).
guigus

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 10:43 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
And you are willing to accept contradiction? Can you tell me why, since all contradictions are necessarily false, and if you accept contradiction you must accept the false as well as the true. Is that what you want? In any case, whether you want it or not, you are committed to accepting the false if you accept contradiction. Just as long as you realize that. If you do not mind believing what is false, that is all right. Just realize what you are committed to.

For someone for whom what other people think is irrelevant, you seem too much interested in what I think. Anyway, I would not say I am willing to accept contradictions, which seems to you as an heresy, since contradictions are already for me first-class citizens of the world. But if this bothers you, just remember: there are many (indeed, many) fields of symbolic logic today that accept contradictions in various different forms, each one with a slightly different concept of negation (it is all about the concept of negation). You don't need to go as far as I go to see the necessity of admitting contradictions, although it seems you are not willing to even step outside your own house.
guigus

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 10:58 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
Could you please explain to me why if I don't care what private meaning some individual happens to give to his words, I don't care what Einstein says. Do you think that Einstein gave a private meaning to his words? Why would you think such a peculiar thing? Einstein did, of course, try to re-understand space and time. But he presented arguments for his views, argument that convinced his peers in the scientific community that he was right. Now, if you can do the same thing, and present arguments which will convince those in the philosophical community that you are right, then have a go. So far, I have seen no arguments, but only pronouncements, coupled with conviction that you are right and abuse for those who are waiting for your arguments for your views (whatever they may be).

If you want arguments, please (re)read my previous posts, which have plenty. Regarding what you call "private meaning," I would like to know what it is. Perhaps you call your beliefs "public" and whatever contradicts them "private," so you can dismiss whatever contradicts what you think as irrelevant. Go figure.
0 Replies