acceptable drinking age?

kickycan

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 02:31 pm
bookmark
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 08:36 pm
Well, the cultures, where' er they are, don't get off on "hammered" as a good thing to do... the vibes are neg for it, mostly. Not that I am such an expert, but it is fairly apparent, at least in Italy.

Walter, what are you saying about southern european countries, what are, exactly, southern european countries? Many seem to run somewhat north south...

Not to challenge your take, you are much more on scene, but to find out where you mean...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 12:43 am
Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, Greece ...

You'll rarely find there such exessive drinking habits like e.g. in England or the Scandinavian countries ... or Germany.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 07:07 pm
Ah. I guess I think of Northern France as fairly north, and southern France as fairly south. Is there different behavior re drinking, in the north vs south there?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 11:08 pm
Northern France, my personal experiences, drink more beer - similar to the Belgiums. (There are quite some "house breweries", I noticed a couple of days ago, in Britanny! [But no excessive drinking from the locals, as far as I notice.])

Well, to answer, your question: not really very different, I suppose.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 11:22 pm
Different potions, same general behavior... eh?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 11:22 pm
Might be :wink:
0 Replies

skaiter

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 09:38 pm
I would like to see something where you can get a liscense to drink if u are 15-16 if you parents dont mind and you pass some tests and some actual real life scenarios... I know people who are alot more responsible than there parents because they know if they act to stupid and there parents knew they where drinking then they would get in trouble, as for me there is nothing like opening some 40's or a 12 pack with some friends!
0 Replies

JohnnyDublin

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 06:54 pm
hi
um........I'd like to find out what the drinking age is in Ireland I'm from the states and I'm thinking about planning a trip there and I was wondering what its like over there as far as the drinking situation goes
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 12:35 am
I think 19 (=(18+20)/2), or a more complex average which must come close to the number, ,is more appropriate for the drinking age.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 01:59 am
JohnnyDublin wrote:
hi
um........I'd like to find out what the drinking age is in Ireland I'm from the states and I'm thinking about planning a trip there and I was wondering what its like over there as far as the drinking situation goes

Welcome to A2K, JohnnyDublin!

The legal age to buy alcohol in Ireland is 18.

Legal Drinking Age - worldwide (the link includes figures even for US-municipalities!)
0 Replies

Chuckster

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 04:55 am
Alcholism is a serious problem in societies around the world.
For many people there is no "acceptable" drinking age...they simply cannot handle it and it leads to dreadful social tragedy and death. Don't take anyone's word for this. Do a web search and witness the horrible truth. Abstinence is the only valid answer.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 06:30 am
Well, certainly you are correct - for those, who are alcoholics (sober/dry or not aware of it).

Unfortunately, you can't discover this illness, before you went on it.
(And belive me, Chuckster, neither I nor the millions of other alcoholics would have thought about abstinence before we diagnosed!)

Speaking about this both as an alcoholic as well as someone, who worked professionally in drug/alcohol prevention (and thaught such at university), I do think, "learning" drinking has to be done to avoid later disasters.
And this should be done, when humans develop from child to adults (especially, since drinking is 'adverised' as something 'adult'.)

Abstinence is the an valid answer for those, who do such for religious or health reasons.
It's a must for those, who are alcoholics.

But that wasn't the theme here :wink:
0 Replies

Chuckster

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 07:21 am
Thank you for the courtesy of your thoughtful commentary.
It is an honor to share a moment with a humanitarian who has devoted one's life toward saving lives. Education is the responsible way to instill social values and I appreciate your care in reminding me. May you continue your good works.
0 Replies

shimsham115

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 08:58 pm
ireland's drinking age
the drinking age in ireland is 18, but very leniant. if you know the right pubs and discos to go to, u can get a drink if you look anywhere near 18, same with smoking, if you know the right stores. so yes, some ask for id, but its easy to get away with
0 Replies

twgroves15

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 09:36 am
@hello,
I do agree with you too some extents but as there are many 18 year olds that don’t take their responsibilities into the matter. Drinking all together can cause crime but adults do take in to consideration of their responsibilities and they can handle there drink a bit more and most adults knows when enough is enough. Yes it said that 18 years olds are adults too but they don’t think about the consequences of drink so much.18 year olds are more likely to drink more often as it’s a way of socializing and having fun and could be a way of get away from anything bad there going through. From the drinking it can lead to more crime so by hiring the age limit on drinking will reduces the number of crime as there will be less drink driving, which causes many car crashes, less vandalism, less fights and police take in young people who have been drinking for their own safety. I’m not saying that they shouldn’t have a bit of fun but there are some cases where it goes a bit too far. On the other hand if the age limit was hired it is most likely that they’re still going to drink anyway as a example of this is at the moment the age limit is 18 years of age but there are many young people under the age of 18, that drink. Drinking has a big effect on the body and can cause you damage so by younger people drinking, there is a possibility of developing theses causes at a younger age. If the age limit was higher they would still use the excuse as that they are an adult and they have a right too.I agree that it acceptable for a kid to have a little glass at home as for a celebration as we've all done it.I am on mixed descions on hirring the age limit though.
0 Replies

judychocho

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 10:57 am
@hello,
Being from the States, think that 21 might be a bit too high as a drinking age. 18 seems fine, legally. But a 16 years old should be able to have a drink or two during family festivities!
0 Replies

Gridfamiliar

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2016 02:57 am
Hi, I'm a mom with daughters ages 20 and above and I'm proud to say that I'm blessed with children who don't drink wine and if so they do it occasionally for a birthday. However, in my opinion the correct age to drink alcohol is 18 and above so that by that time they could be mature enough to handle the situation.
0 Replies

irisalert

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 05:37 pm
@hello,
For me, age must be between 18-21 yo.
0 Replies

advisorstable

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 10:15 pm
In my opinion as a parent, there's no really right age for drinking. It would depend on the maturity of a person that makes it acceptable to try. If he or she can carry herself or be responsible enough for the possible consequences or effects of an alcoholic drink then a person could drink.