Work Patterns Don't Explain All Pay Gap Between Men, Women

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 11:44 am
Nov 20, 2003
Work Patterns Don't Explain All of Pay Gap Between Men, Women, Study Says
The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) - Women's income is lower on average than that of men in part because they generally work less, leave the labor force for longer periods and tend to hold jobs that pay less, a congressional study found.
But even after adjustments are made for those factors, women still earned an average of 20.3 percent less than men in 2000, investigators said Thursday.

The General Accounting Office conducted the earnings study for Democratic Reps. Carolyn Maloney of New York and John Dingell of Michigan.

The 20 percent gap has been relatively unchanged in the past two decades. The difference was 19.6 percent in 1983.

The study could not explain reasons for the earnings difference, but noted that experts have speculated it could be due to discrimination or the decision by some women to forgo career advancement for family-friendly jobs that offer more flexibility and less stress.

"These decisions may have specific consequences for their career advancement or earnings," the study said. "However, debate exists about whether these decisions are freely made or influenced by discrimination in society or in the workplace."

Maloney and Dingell want to create a research center at a public university that would study potential solutions and publish information for employers and employees.

"After accounting for so many external factors, it seems that still, at the root of it all, men get an inherent annual bonus just for being men," Maloney said. "If this continues, the only guarantees in life will be death, taxes and the glass ceiling. We can't let that happen."

Men work on average 2,147 hours per year, compared with 1,675 for women, the study said.

Almost nine of 10 men worked full time compared with two of three women. Men were out of the labor force an average of one week compared with three weeks for women, the report said.

The influx of women in the labor force in recent decades has failed to result in significant changes at the office, the study said.

"Research suggests that many work places still maintain the same policies, practices and structures that existed when most workers were men who worked full time, 40-hours per week," the report said. "As a result, there may be a mismatch between the needs of workers with family responsibilities and the structure of the workplace."

This story can be found at: http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGAALTV29ND.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 748 • Replies: 7
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 11:59 am
BBB, Yes it does. It's called discrimination.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 05:15 pm
The GAO did a "study" and couldn't come up with any reasons for the diparity? Maybe they should have looked at some of the prior research on the topic.

Compare wages for men and women in the same job with the same level of experience and the pay differences go away.

Quote:
In fact, there's no wage disparity at all among full-time workers between the ages of 21 and 35 who live alone, the Employment Policy Foundation's people say. What's more, the pay gap is only 3 percent among full-time employees who are married but childless, the foundation's information says.

http://www.cnn.com/2000/CAREER/trends/12/12/womenpay/
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 05:16 pm
reading along
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 05:30 pm
fishin, Thanks for sharing that link. We sometimes get set in our minds from long term exposure to discrimination, and not learn about changes until somebody does a 'real' study on the issue. I've always been under the impression for the longest time that women and minorities always earned less with the same skills and job description. I can now rest more easily, that some things in our country have progressed dramatically whiile I blinked. Thx again, c.i.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 05:55 pm
I seriously doubt that discrimination is gone c.i. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's alive and well.

But these studies pick some starting point and create statisics that can be very misleading. The link I provided lists results of 6 or 7 different studies and they all come up with different results based on how they sort the numbers.

The GAO numbers look like they looked at straight census data and totaled up what men made and what women made and whoa! They found a 20% gap!

Ok, but what if women made a choice not to work at a paying job? Is it discrimination if they didn't get paid then? Is it discrimination if you choose a career that pays less than one somone else chose?

I just have a hard time with labeling the choices people make for themselves as discrimination. If two people make the same choices and do the same job equeally for the same employer then yeah, they should getting paid the same. Remove any of those factors and you have to start looking a lot harder to find it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 06:21 pm
fishin, I really think major progress is in the works. I know that many local county and city employees are treated equally as to job, pay, promotion, and most everything else. I see more women CEO's listed in the local newspaper, and I know that most high tech companies have been treating women more equally with their men counterparts - even as to pay and promotions. We also see more minority CEO's in Silicon Valley where we found none only a decade ago. I'd like to think that we are seeing real progress in many industries. I'm also sure discrimination will "never" disappear from this planet.
0 Replies

kirsten

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 07:10 pm
Sadly, there still exists a belief, primarily among older men, that male employees deserve more pay solely because they were traditionally the breadwinner in the family. Small businesses especially can get away with this, as some rules either don't apply to them or are never watched.
0 Replies