Phonetic symbols to help pronounce trochlearis

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 09:17 pm
How to pronounce trochlearis? The sound I hear is read by TTS, not so acceptable. So I want to know the phonetic symbols for the word. But every dictionary I found does not offer this. What to do?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,610 • Replies: 13
No top replies

JTT

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 01:26 pm
@oristarA,
My guess is

trok lee air is

Here's a M-W for 'trochlear', Ori. I'd say that you could use the sound given at this site plus the plural 's' sound of 'replies' or 'oristars'.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 02:23 pm
@JTT,
I was going to guess troch (trawk) - le (lay) - ar (are) - is (almost like ees), just from my old background in latin, since it is a medical word and many of those english words are derived from latin. Then I looked it up - I was wrong!

http://www.yourdictionary.com/trochlear
troch·lear (träk′lē ər)
adjective
ANAT. of, having the nature of, or forming a trochlea
BOT. shaped like a pulley; round and contracted in the middle

so far, I haven't found trochlearis, but I haven't looked at that many online sites.
JTT

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 03:08 pm
@ossobuco,
I sure don't know for certain, Osso. I just went from something I remembered from maybe grade 6 health. Isn't there a cochlear [sp?] something or other in the ear area?
oristarA

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 08:20 pm
Thank you.
Look into the pictures of anatomy and you'll find the word.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 08:36 pm
@JTT,
sure, but they would have been ordinary messing up american takes, as may be the online take I linked. I dunno.

You may remember me as one who insisted on noting the tree, Pinus, as Penus in english, but also pinus in latin.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 08:38 pm
@ossobuco,
I somehow doubt any one website. Still seems like a latin word to me, no matter the comman usage.

I don't think american medical usage is by definition right.
JTT

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 09:30 pm
@ossobuco,
It's definitely not a Latin word, Osso, though it is from Latin. It's now fully an English word and how it might have been pronounced in Latin is of no consequence to English.

Languages take words from other languages but they never take the sound system.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 09:37 pm
@JTT,
I take your point. On the other hand, in my experience, people did pay attention to latin. And on the hand past that, I'm just old. Just because struggling new folks fucked up the language doesn't mean they are somehow right.

I guess Pine-us wins.
electronicmail

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 09:56 pm
@oristarA,
This dictionary has phonetic pronunciation for the word, just click on the sound symbol http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/trochlear
ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 10:12 pm
@electronicmail,
that's the same as my link's take, but I don't trust it.

I spent years watching garden folk crucify the latin, re plants. I've spent years with friends annoyed that I might mention latin instead of common names, sometime multiply common, assuming I am some kind of snot.

Grrr.

I have no idea if I agree re dictionary.reference.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 11:29 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
in my experience, people did pay attention to latin.

There were many people who paid attention to all manner of silly rule taught in the school system, Osso. They did that because that was what was expected, not because that was how language worked.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 11:59 pm
@JTT,
I'll argue that latin did work. Perhaps it didn't for you. Even now I know thousands of plant names in latin, though I start to forget. I also know thousands of common plant names, but they are more a mess with themselves

Nothing to do with what was expected. Perhaps that was a difficulty for you?
JTT

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 11:21 am
@ossobuco,
I'm not saying that there isn't a second nomenclature for things biological, Osso. Obviously there is, in a number of fields. What I'm saying is that these words have been brought into the English language.

Just like the thousands upon thousands of other words brought from other languages, the sound system doesn't come with the words, nor do the rules governing those words in the mother tongue.

The word comes, it's adjusted as the need arises to reflect the sounds of English and the rules of English and the meaning that English gives the new word. It could be no other way for we aren't capable of learning all the sound systems or the rules of all the languages we borrow words from.

Latin doesn't work for any English speaker because Latin is a dead language and we can't possibly begin to know or use the rules or the sound system.
0 Replies