"....one sergeant tells McChrystal: "Sir, some of the guys here, sir, think we're losing, sir." "

rabel22

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 05:24 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
He is an okie, ican type poster who can read peoples minds. Just what we need, another closed minded idiot.
0 Replies

electronicmail

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 07:49 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Treason doth never prosper: what ’s the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.

Arrow November 2 2010
Arrow November 6 2012
0 Replies

electronicmail

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 04:32 am
@ossobuco,
The best thing that could happen to McChrystal is for Obama to accept his resignation: then he has no part in the inevitable defeat. No military law expert thinks the general is in breach of any part of the military code, so talk of prosecuting him on those grounds only makes teamObama look even more incompetent that it so obviously is.

The Afghanistan war is unwinnable. Even fanatic Obama supporters like NYT's Friedman see this http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/23/opinion/23friedman.html
Quote:
You know you’re in trouble when you’re in a war in which the only party whose objectives are clear, whose rhetoric is consistent and whose will to fight never seems to diminish is your enemy: the Taliban. ....The president can bring Ulysses S. Grant back from the dead to run the Afghan war. But when you can’t answer the simplest questions, it is a sign that you’re somewhere you don’t want to be and your only real choices are lose early, lose late, lose big or lose small.

0 Replies

electronicmail

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 04:58 am
@Lash,
Of course everybody says the same thing about Biden. And he's not the only Obama administration official that McChrystal's staff pegged correctly http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/06/22/gordon-duff-general-mcchrystal-wounded-in-ambush-by-rolling-stone-magazine/
Quote:
So, General McChrystal has noticed that Vice President Joe Biden isn’t quite up to the task. I would call that a good catch. ....Another good catch is his assessment of General James Jones. The quote comes from an aide, not McChrystal but calling Jones “a clown stuck in 1985″ borders on pure brilliance. ...Another stroke of McChrystal brilliance is the quote: “Oh, not another e-mail from Holbrooke… I don’t even want to open it.”

I wonder what it is about Holbrooke that the general is disturbed by? Could it be drug policy? The Holbrooke policy of paying the Taliban to grow more drugs is, I think, an original approach to eradication. Colonel Eugene Khruschev, former First Secretary of the Russian Embassy in Kabul, now commentator for RTV and editor of Veterans Today refers to Holbrooke as Afghanistan’s “drug kingpin” in partnership with “Karzai brothers incorporated.”
0 Replies

electronicmail

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 05:40 am
@rabel22,
Sure anybody can post anywhere. And since I started this thread I thought I'd welcome posters who actually have some useful information to impart. So far you're not in that group.
0 Replies

electronicmail

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 05:52 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Quote:
I was further disappointed because I think Obama's decision was based on more then just the war. I think it was tainted by polical considerations as well as war.
That's not a taint, that's the basic color of the entire Obama Afghanistan policy. The war is the problem, not the theater commander. Two more US soldiers announced dead today:
http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2010/06/22/PH2010062205483.jpg
Quote:
June is on track to becoming one of the deadliest months for U.S. and international forces in the nearly nine-year Afghan war. Including the latest deaths, 69 international forces have been killed so far this month, 43 of them American.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 08:32 am
@electronicmail,
E-mail, I'm surprised that you appear blame the Obama administration for the troop increase in Afghanistan. It was General McChrystal who advocated the "surge" and asked for an additonal 60,000 more troops. Obama approved 30,000. In fact, McChrystal leaked war problems information to the media before Obama made a decision, attempting to force him to approve McChrystal's demands.

My disappointment is that Obama made the mistake of being convinced of the bad policy McChrystal proposed.

I want to add a comment about your posting style. When a poster begins a pissing match with other posters, I get bored and lose interest in their opinions. I'm already bored with you.

BBB
electronicmail

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 10:42 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Quote:
When a poster begins a pissing match with other posters, I get bored and lose interest in their opinions.

I agree with you completely. I never begin such matches. I do have the duty to reply to anyone who posts here since I started this thread. That includes the ones I find boring myself.
0 Replies

electronicmail

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 10:47 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Quote:
E-mail, I'm surprised that you appear blame the Obama administration for the troop increase in Afghanistan.

Obama is CinC. Without his and his administration's approval not a single soldier would have been added to those already in theater.

McChrystal had asked for another 60,000, half that number was approved, and most are already there. Personally I agree with you (and Friedman I linked on this page) that our options in Afghanistan are exactly 4, to lose big, or small, or sooner, or later. That about covers it.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 01:05 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I certainly blame the Obama administration for the troop increase in Afghanistan.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 01:10 pm
@dyslexia,
Ditto. Soon I'll be called dittohead..
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 01:10 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Quote:
When a poster begins a pissing match with other posters, I get bored
well, that helps all of us who read threads in which you start pissing matches and then disappear, I guess you start them and then go take a nap
electronicmail

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 04:05 pm
@dyslexia,
You want to harass a woman you're not going to do it on my thread. Apply elsewhere or start a thread yourself. Disgusting is what it is, specially when the particular woman was very polite HERE.

SCRAM.
roger

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 04:41 pm
@electronicmail,
You need a "Stamps Foot" emoticon.
Lash

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 06:25 pm
@electronicmail,
You scram. (posse gathers, shaking fists)
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 06:41 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

You need a "Stamps Foot" emoticon.

...a "drools and blathers incoherently" one might be useful, also.
roger

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 07:24 pm
@snood,
Well, yes, or it could just be combined into the "Huh?" button.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 07:37 pm
@electronicmail,
I like bumblebee, know her personally. We argue with each other as we wish, often agree, often don't. I'm a woman too. Dys is not just making stuff up. He's a guy.
He and she know each other.

Please don't spend your time telling either of them to scram.

"you're not going to do it on my thread" - an imperative is not very useful.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 07:45 pm
@electronicmail,
electronicmail wrote:

You want to harass a woman you're not going to do it on my thread. Apply elsewhere or start a thread yourself. Disgusting is what it is, specially when the particular woman was very polite HERE.

SCRAM.
dear electron, I wouldn'd piss down your throat if your heart was on fire.
electronicmail

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 09:40 pm
@dyslexia,
That's reassuring.
0 Replies