Idiot America

parados

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 02:04 pm
@McGentrix,
The list had better get a hell of a lot longer McG if you want to include EVERYTHING.
maporsche

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 02:14 pm
@parados,
Any sort of all-inclusive (or exclusive) statement is bound to be wrong.

Although, I share the frustration with Obama, mainly for the items on the list McG just posted.
snood

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 02:38 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Any sort of all-inclusive (or exclusive) statement is bound to be wrong.

Although, I share the frustration with Obama, mainly for the items on the list McG just posted.

...which is really suprising, considering how enthusiastic your support has been of him in the past....
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 03:16 pm
@McGentrix,
You are correct that Obama has been unable to deliver on several of his campaign promises for a variety of reasons, the greatest of which has been Republican intransigence, but resistance from his own party has been problematic as well on several issues (such as Gitmo relocation). Overall, though, he has made vast progress on the majority of issues he talked about when running for office and has done quite well.

As to your list, I would point out that:

- Congress has passed PAYGO laws.
- You can comment and review bills at the website of either the House or Senate before they are passed - for the most part.
- People making less than 250k have not had their taxes raised.
- WH communications are far more open than ever in the past, and Obama's records are not under secret lock-and-key orders the way Bush's were.

For most of the things on your list, there has been partial progress. You pretend that nothing has gone on at all, which is stupid. At the end of the day, let's remember that he is doing light years better than the moron he replaced - and that you enthusiastically supported for years. So your criticisms are a little, shall we say, not convincing.

Cycloptichorn
McGentrix

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 03:58 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
But, as I look on these days, I see people that slammed Bush for many of the exact same flaws being apologetic for Obama. Hypocrisy is running rampant in the liberal circles these days. Not that it wasn't expected. I am positive the Right side is being equally hypocritical in complaining about the things Obama is or is not doing that would have been defended if "their guy" was in office.

Politifact on PAYGO
Politifact on 5 days of comments
Politifact on taxes for people making less then $250k
Politifact on WH Cmmunications

I don't pretend anything, I merely listed examples of his failures thus far to interrupt the regularly scheduled preening of the left wing. If you really think things have changed that much since Bush, I doubt anything I say would effect that belief.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 04:05 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

But, as I look on these days, I see people that slammed Bush for many of the exact same flaws being apologetic for Obama. Hypocrisy is running rampant in the liberal circles these days. Not that it wasn't expected. I am positive the Right side is being equally hypocritical in complaining about the things Obama is or is not doing that would have been defended if "their guy" was in office.

Politifact on PAYGO

This link is over a year old. Both houses of Congress now have PAYGO rules in place.

This link is, once again, more than a year old. Most bills can now be read in full and reviewed for several days before their passage. Though you are correct, that not all bills are done this way, and more work is needed.

This link is up to date, but complains about taxes on tanning and cigarettes. Please. This is nothing more than quibbling on your part.

You are correct that this one needs more work, though they are more open then previous admins have been.

Quote:
I don't pretend anything, I merely listed examples of his failures thus far to interrupt the regularly scheduled preening of the left wing. If you really think things have changed that much since Bush, I doubt anything I say would effect that belief.

There is no 'preening' in the same way that there is no 'saint Obama' for the Left. As a member of the left, let me tell you that I have spent most of the last year pissed that things aren't going more my way. But the idea that you are pushing - that Obama has failed somehow? This is highly specious and totally incredible. He's passed more bills in his first 18 months or so than any prez in the last 60 years....

Cycloptichorn
McGentrix

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 04:07 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Re-read the thread from the beginning as I did before posting here.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 04:10 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Re-read the thread from the beginning as I did before posting here.

Why? I read it before you showed up...

If you look closely, the original complaint was about bullshit criticisms of Obama. At least the ones you listed have SOME substance to them.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 06:14 am
@snood,
He got my VOTE snood, what's more important than that?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:04 pm
@Bella Dea,
Bella Dea wrote:

Quote:
Don't want to be an American idiot.
Don't want a nation under the new media
And can you hear the sound of hysteria?
The subliminal mind **** America.

Welcome to a new kind of tension.
All across the alien nation.
Where everything isn't meant to be okay.
Television dreams of tomorrow.
We're not the ones who're meant to follow.
For that's enough to argue.

Well maybe I'm the faggot America.
I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
Now everybody do the propaganda.
And sing along to the age of paranoia.

Don't want to be an American idiot.
One nation controlled by the media.
Information age of hysteria.
It's calling out to idiot America.

My god, is this a song for the ages or what? I've always loved Green Day and especially loved the album "American Idiot"....it came out at just the right time. However, with the new Obama-Devil hysteria, this song/album is as real as ever.

I love America. I love my country and the ideals it's founded on. But holy ****, are there a bunch of whacked out sheep out there....follow what you think might be the truth because you want it to be the truth and it maybe supports some of what you believe regardless of the accuracy of the statement or movement.

I got an email from my family who's email stated " What's missing in this photo of President Obama? He said he'd change America but nobody was paying attention!" The photo shows him at a press conference without the flag behind him. Then it shows 4 other photos of Presidents with the flag behind them, as though these 5 pictures represent every press conference ever held. I guess one looking at this email is suppose to believe that every other time there was a flag behind the President. Or that there were never any other press conferences/speeches where there wasn't a flag backdrop because this emails shows FOUR examples of where there was a flag backdrop. I especially love the part about "nobody paying attention" since well, isn't that exactly what the people who believe and pass on this information are doing?

If you dislike Obama, that's great. We wouldn't be anywhere if people all agreed on everything. But for the love of God, at least hate him for something REAL.

This is what pisses me off most about the anti-Obama movement. The sheer ignorance that is shown by people who want nothing more than to make this guy a monster. They spend all this time looking for mistakes and things to get him on....he's a politician. Is it really that difficult to find something negative that's true?

Interesting.

I could make an argument that the song is referring to Obama supporters.

Everyone who opposes Obama's policies and disapproves of his performance as president doesn't believe he's a muslim sleeper, an Indonesian citizen, or the anti-Christ.

The silly Obama hater e-mails bug you? Now you know how some of us felt about the silly Bush hater e-mails.

I don't need to make things up about him to have no use for him.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 07:39 am
Well, I never sent Anti-Bush emails (I don't spam my friends) so that doesn't apply to me. And considering this song was written during the Bush admin, I can assure you, it's about Bush.

And about not making things up? Good for you. At least you're intelligent enough to do your homework and have facts to back your opinion.
maporsche

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 07:45 am
@Bella Dea,
I don't see anything in that song that mentions anything hush specifically has done. AND I agree that the song applies equally well today.

I love green day, not their new album so much, but everything else.

Linkin Park wrote a good song that was pretty anti-bush and the war.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 08:09 am
Maporche,
This was released under the album "american idiot" which has other songs on it that point to this being about the country during the Bush admin.

0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 08:12 am
Quote:
With American Idiot, Green Day have achieved what a lot of high-profile, critically-acclaimed bands have tried and failed to do: create a great album about the post-9/11 era. An ambitious concept album about a suburban kid’s response to his world, American Idiot is a loud, angry, confused record that’s perfectly in keeping with out turbulent times. Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong hasn’t just written his best series of songs since his band’s 1994 breakthrough, Dookie – he’s managed to turn current events into universal laments without coming across as strident or preachy.

Perhaps a betterway to confirm what "American Idiot" refers to is their follow up album, "21st CEntury Breakdown".

Quote:
With their eighth studio album, Green Day finds themselves in a post-American Idiot world and sifting through the consequences of nearly a decade of manipulation, lies, selfishness, and bullshit of the highest order.

The band is older, wiser, and more motivated than ever with 21st Century Breakdown, a seething, brilliant concept album divided into three parts.

Produced by Garbage member Butch Vig, 21st Century Breakdown runs through the narrative of Christian and Gloria, a young couple working through the shattered promises of this century. They live in a world that has let them down and the conventions they have come to rely upon have left them philosophically and spiritually lifeless.

Billie Joe Armstrong’s writing is even more spirited here, as their Johnny-come-lately approach to the Bush Administration left American Idiot a potent record that felt inadequately late to the party. This time, however, the trio starts the jamboree early and never lets up.

Perhaps the notion of big time rockers having something to say about the world, be it the environment or the government, is a little worn out and perhaps their words feel a little vacant at times. But every so often a band or singer steps through the affectation, rips away the film, and tells the truth. Springsteen did it with The Rising and now it’s safe to say that Green Day has done it with 21st Century Breakdown.

Where perhaps a failing of American Idiot was that the songs got a little too immense for the band, here Green Day has chopped things down and kept it lean. The compositions flow effortlessly, ranging from the power punk the band’s become famous for to deliberately sensitive ballads complete with Armstrong nailing a surplus of untamed notes.

Clocking in at a smidgen under 70 minutes, 21st Century Breakdown rolls through 18 tracks of candor, authority, and larger-than-life storytelling. The tempo shifts, key changes, strings, and thunderous guitar keeps things popping, with Tre Cool hammering his snare vehemently and Mike Dirnt’s bass rocking the lower registry expertly.

The first segment of the record, “Act I: Heroes and Cons,” begins after a pithy foreword and sets up our protagonists.

Read more: http://blogcritics.org/music/article/music-review-green-day-21st-century/#ixzz0rsFvUnhj
0 Replies