automatic blood pressure monitor

dadpad

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 04:15 am
Mumpad has been diagnosed as having high blood pressure. Her doctor has been monitoring this over several weeks.
Today she told me her blood pressure was sky high. Says she Does not feel unwell.
She eats well (pretty much the same as I eat). almost no added salt. We dont eat a lot of processed foods.
She excercises daily. she gets up at 6.00 am and walks for an hour.
She is overweight but since she started walking has dropped a few pounds. I've suggested gym sessions but shehas not yet arrived at that conclusion herself.
We've looked at the generally available information on reducing blood pressure and dont see a lot she could change in her lifestyle to assist.
She does have a busy life working in community services, taking care of our home, and is producer (organiser) for the local dramatic society

I am considering the value of a blood pressure monitor.

Has anyone here used a blood pressure monitor?

If you have a personal reccomendation for types or brands I would appreciate it.
Any personal experience and valuation would be welcome
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,389 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 06:05 am
@dadpad,
Hi dadpad. I have high blood pressure (controlled) and have monitored myself at home for the past 12 years. I purchased an OMRON automatic digital pressure monitor M4 which does the job well. They are available from most pharmacies and if your in a Health Fund you get some discount too. See http://www.omronbloodpressuremonitors.com.au/
dyslexia

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 06:33 am
@Dutchy,
yes we also have the umron BP monitor as both Lady Diane and myself have HperTension. It's easy to use.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 01:47 pm
@dadpad,
I have had two. A fancy one of some expense, and a cheapo wrist cuff monitor.. I gave the fancy one away, am happy with the wrist monitor. I take mine twice a day, mainly because if I take the supposedly daily pill when my pressure is in normal range, I tend to get a scary drop in blood pressure to a danger range.

This happened with my last prescription, and I ended up dealing with it by taking them only when the bp was slightly up, eventually cutting the pills in half, which my M.D. was fine with, and then she gave me a new less strong prescription. The same thing is happening with the new prescription to a lesser degree, and I bought a pill cutter so that I can take a half a pill twice a day instead of 1 whole one once. (Yes, I have an appointment to see the doctor. I figure she will take it to the next lower dosage).

My bp problems are much improved after my weight loss of about three years ago. I do try to avoid too much salt (1500 mg or so a day is fine), though I don't know if my own bp values are salt dependent (not everyone's are). I should get more exercise, have lagged on that since I moved to New Mexico.

On how you feel with high blood pressure - I've never felt it when mine is high, and I take it that that is routine. I do feel it when it zooms too low, and that is also common. Thus, you generally won't know if it is high unless you use a monitor... and that can be dangerous not to.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 02:33 am
Thanks all
0 Replies