just a theory

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:07 pm
back when I was a bit younger and living in arizona I liked to do a bit of hiking. I would drive up the Apache Trail north-east out of Apache Junction into Tonto National Forrest in the Superstition Mountains. Most often I would park alongside the road in the Tortilla Flat area and me and my dog Misha would hike up among the saguaros. I would do this usually in Febuary and March before the temp got up into the 100's. It was an easy drive from where I lived in Mesa arizona. It was a pleasant afternoon hike and not all that far from my home in Mesa Az. On three different occasions I met some other hikers who always seemed very intent on their hiking as if they knew where they were going and anxious to get there.
http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/15/94115-004-004C82BA.jpg
On each of those occasions the men, usually dressed as if they were on a safari, would show me a map and asked if I recognized any of the features noted on the map. I would just say that I didn't and then they would explain that they were looking for the lost gold mine of the Superstitions. They went of to explain they had paid good money for their map to an old prospector they had met in the parking lot of the walmart in Apache Junction. Anyways, I would just say that I hoped they had plenty of water and continue my hike.

My theory is that these same men and others like them, are the very same people that elect our politicians from city councils to mayors/governors/senators and even presidents.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 1,714 • Replies: 29

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:08 pm
They don't elect them, they are them.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:22 pm
@littlek,
good point.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:24 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

They don't elect them, they are them.

yes scary and on top of that, there are states that will not allow you to be elected unless you accept certain things that are unfounded.
littlek

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:32 pm
@Krumple,
Like where and what?
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:33 pm
But did you ever see the gold?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:36 pm
There is at least one member of A2K who believes that we are in the mess we are in because stupid people are allowed to vote.
I am not sure what the test would be, but I suspect I would be excluded because I still can not spell the capital of New Mexico.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:37 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

There is at least one member of A2K who believes that we are in the mess we are in because stupid people are allowed to vote.
I am not sure what the test would be, but I suspect I would be excluded because I still can not spell the capital of New Mexico.
Santa Fe?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:40 pm
You ever climb to the tippy-top, dys? Not the big flat-iron area at the top where everyone stops, but on up further to the highest point? Really incredible 360 views up there.

Never did find the gold on my excursions, either.

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/1623/flickr396815070image.jpg
farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:41 pm
@dyslexia,
AHHHH but you dont understand, The people dont elect the politicians, the people who count the votes elect the politicians.
farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:43 pm
@farmerman,
I have a copy of the real map of the Dutchmans Gold. I can let you have it reasonably.
Krumple

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:44 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

Like where and what?

There are certain states in their constitutions that do not allow you to hold public office unless you belong to a certain religious denomination or not at all if you claim you are atheist.
Ticomaya

@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

Isn't there also a theory that we are in the mess we are in because we allowed the residents of New Mexico to vote?

I could be wrong.
0 Replies

dyslexia

@Ticomaya,
no, I never did climb that far. I'm sure I would have appreciated the view.
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:45 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I have a copy of the real map of the Dutchmans Gold. I can let you have it reasonably.

I'll trade you a fine cigar for it, fm.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:45 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
no, I never did climb that far. I'm sure I would have appreciated the view.

It's a hell of a damn climb, but the view is worth it.
0 Replies

KaseiJin

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 05:37 pm
No comment on the question posed, but I just love those photos. They bring back some so good memories, and such. I did go out to Apache Junction area, but never went off-road really. (I lived in Phoenix up by North Mountain Park at the time)
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 05:49 pm
Sante Fey?
I have learned Albuquerque.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 05:51 pm
@farmerman,
Or maybe the judges who judge the vote counts..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 05:52 pm
@Krumple,
I think I've read that too. South Carolina?
0 Replies