Life too short for Philosophy?

HexHammer

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 04:15 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
I am certain I have add... Certain it is not subtract...In any event, any dumass like you does not take longer than my little finger losing my attention, and that much is just be polite... I have never ignored you; but then you have benfitted me not at all.. Thanks.
I'm afraid the dumbass is you, I'm but a cynically bastard, tired of listen to your ramblings. Is a harsh "help" to you, to grow up and try rationalize your thoughts.
Fido

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 04:22 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:

Fido wrote:
I am certain I have add... Certain it is not subtract...In any event, any dumass like you does not take longer than my little finger losing my attention, and that much is just be polite... I have never ignored you; but then you have benfitted me not at all.. Thanks.
I'm afraid the dumbass is you, I'm but a cynically bastard, tired of listen to your ramblings. Is a harsh "help" to you, to grow up and try rationalize your thoughts.

So you are a scared dumass... I got it now... And for the record... People are not rational, and reason is not applicable to moral forms... You want to use math, which is all in ratio, then knock yourself out in the physical world... It the moral world, reason simply does not apply, and thinking it does makes you a dumass...
HexHammer

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 06:33 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
So you are a scared dumass... I got it now... And for the record... People are not rational, and reason is not applicable to moral forms... You want to use math, which is all in ratio, then knock yourself out in the physical world... It the moral world, reason simply does not apply, and thinking it does makes you a dumass...
I find your ramblings amuseing.
Khethil

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 06:53 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
I do not think that life is too short for philosophy, but many of our brains are not wired for philosophy. We tend to have brains, I believe, that are wired for quick judgements. These quick judgements take us through each day, and then we sleep. But, for those that like philosophy, go ahead and philosophize.

Its sounds like you might not know what philosophy is.

You have one, several likely probably a lot more. One's philosophy is the way one sees the world. The endeavor of philosphy is to seek wisdom. I can't think of a better way to bolster your quick-decision making process than to have thought through how you feel, what you think and who you are. Not really a luxury or lifelong, time consuming process, it can be almost nonexistent but still beneficial. Who thinks wisdom isn't worthwhile to every single aspect of our lives?

Quite the contrary, the person who knows themselves less is so much the more likely to make poor decisions; and in so doing, fail at the very things they aspire to.

Thanks
kennethamy

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 08:47 am
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:

Foofie wrote:
I do not think that life is too short for philosophy, but many of our brains are not wired for philosophy. We tend to have brains, I believe, that are wired for quick judgements. These quick judgements take us through each day, and then we sleep. But, for those that like philosophy, go ahead and philosophize.

Its sounds like you might not know what philosophy is.

You have one, several likely probably a lot more. One's philosophy is the way one sees the world. The endeavor of philosphy is to seek wisdom. I can't think of a better way to bolster your quick-decision making process than to have thought through how you feel, what you think and who you are. Not really a luxury or lifelong, time consuming process, it can be almost nonexistent but still beneficial. Who thinks wisdom isn't worthwhile to every single aspect of our lives?

Quite the contrary, the person who knows themselves less is so much the more likely to make poor decisions; and in so doing, fail at the very things they aspire to.

Thanks

One meaning of "a philosophy" is a world view of some kind (like hedonism) and "one's philosophy" may mean the adoption of such a world view. But that is only one meaning of "philosophy". A different meaning is that of philosophizing. That is, actually doing philosophy, and discussing and trying to figure out answers to philosophical problems. In this sense philosophy is not a view or a theory, but (as Wittgenstein said) an activity. It is something you do, not something you have.
Cyracuz

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 09:22 am
@Fido,
Quote:
People are forced to believe because they do not know...

You have to believe something. Wether you know it or not, you do believe in something. It is impossible not to.
And if you don't care, the same thing will happen that happens if you don't use your democratic vote in elections. Someone else will decide for you, and it's not always pleasant.
Caroline

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 09:27 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

[ It is something you do, not something you have.
There's a genius in each and everyone of us.-Walter Russell.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 09:36 am
@Caroline,
Caroline wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

What has that to do with it?
Caroline

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 09:39 am
@kennethamy,
Never mind.
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 10:01 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
One meaning of "a philosophy" is a world view of some kind (like hedonism) and "one's philosophy" may mean the adoption of such a world view. But that is only one meaning of "philosophy". A different meaning is that of philosophizing. That is, actually doing philosophy, and discussing and trying to figure out answers to philosophical problems. In this sense philosophy is not a view or a theory, but (as Wittgenstein said) an activity. It is something you do, not something you have.

Yes, it has a wide range of contexts and many possibilities.
Fido

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 10:46 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Quote:
People are forced to believe because they do not know...

You have to believe something. Wether you know it or not, you do believe in something. It is impossible not to.
And if you don't care, the same thing will happen that happens if you don't use your democratic vote in elections. Someone else will decide for you, and it's not always pleasant.

My daughter just failed her first class ever on argumentive writing, and it was mostly because she resorted to the emotional argument, and the professor, being a man, and rational rejected the emotional argument as invalid... If he would look around he would find he is judging his whole country, which is to say, his country is judging him in return... All political arguments if they are successful, whether sound or unsound resort to an appeal to emotions... It is because people act according to their beliefs, all they think true without objective proof... I am not saying you are odd, but only wrong... As much as is possible, where we do not know, and that is far more than where we do know, we should be cautious, and yet the certainty of faith causes people to abandon caution, and act, and act blindly... Humanity blinds itself by hope against hope... In that fashion, believing in altruism and the kindness of strangers we offer ourselves to slavery or vivisection... People have got to stop believing in order to know... We should not act at all but with caution and trepidation... I am as blind as everyone else, but my feet tell me we are on the brink... Would everyone please take one step back, and think...
0 Replies

goodtopaz

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 10:48 am
@The Joker006,
Mill: "it is better to be a human dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied"

For me, life is worthless without philosophy. Yes it can get tedious and at times technical but i love nothing more than to study general problems in such topics of the mind, knowledge, reason etc...
To live without questioning leads to a feeling of content and you leave a vast amount of your reasoning for others to tend to. It's because of people who have spoken out through out history that has given the majority of the West the option to drop philosophy. In my opinion i would much rather keep my philosophies as much my own as possible.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 10:49 am
@Caroline,
Caroline wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

This is true in the classical sense... People made offerings to the genius of the emperor... It was not because they did not have their own; but that they tied peace and the success of the emperor to his guiding spirit.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 10:54 am
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

Yes, it has a wide range of contexts and many possibilities.

It is not only something we do, but something we have... It is as we have it, an accretion, and we act to add to it or remove from it what we will until each succeeding generation has made its mark, and made it their own..
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 10:58 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:

Fido wrote:
I find your ramblings amuseing.

I am here to amuse the few, and enlighten the worthy... When you are done laughing, pass the popcorn...
Khethil

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 10:01 am
One of the best compilations of plain-talk philosophical summaries available: Guide to Happiness
Fido

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 10:25 am
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:

One of the best compilations of plain-talk philosophical summaries available: Guide to Happiness

No one ever gets there by trying... Why not sell me a map to morbidity... At least if there you go, there you get.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 07:08 pm
@Fido,
Fido I just wanted to say THANK YOU for sharing your knowledge with the rest of us. I find your posts very enlightening.
I am not sure why HexHammer reacts emotional torwards your posts but I not sure that he means to be is as hateful as he may come across at times.
If he is serious about his opposing statements it would nice for him to share the emperical knowledge or opinions that he seems to think he has, "that disprove what you have to say in a less emotional way if possible.
HexHammer

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 07:36 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Fido I just wanted to say THANK YOU for sharing your knowledge with the rest of us. I find your posts very enlightening.
I am not sure why HexHammer reacts emotional torwards your posts but I not sure that he means to be is as hateful as he may come across at times.
If he is serious about his opposing statements it would nice for him to share the emperical knowledge or opinions that he seems to think he has, "that disprove what you have to say in a less emotional way if possible.

Quote:
Categorizing people into good or bad is extreme naivity or just as bad extreme ignorence. What the enlightend should do is categorizing them by psycology terms, psycotic, skitzofrenic ..etc.

To say "What makes bad people bad is the inability to love, and without love there is no philosophy..." Erotomans can be bad people and by definition has the ability to love, never have I heard they'r unable to philosophise.
Nor have I ever heard about in sience of psycology that psycopaths or skitzofrenics are unable to philosophise, quite the contrary. They are just haveing distorted thoughts, hench their definion of mentally ill.

Also if you look at decades of crime investigation in USA their profiling of criminals, there are no evidence of lack of philosophy or lack of love.

Under the Vietnam war a good study of intelligences began, establishing 9 major intelligences (later expanded to 12 ..etc) Brain damaged casualties was studied, it clearly proved intelligence are working individually from eachother. Playing perfect piano, while being unable to compute 2+2, so on and so forth.

So in essence, the one has nothing to do with the other.
If you really read Fido's posts closely, then you will see he indeed knows alot, but has no rationallity to make any sense of his great knowledge.

I see alot of people not really knowing much of given subject being impressed by this apparant knowlede base, but people who does actually know of given subject should know it doesn't make sense anything he says.

But what really kills me, is his puerile ability to speak out of ignorence, assumptions and rely on old philosophy that doesn't make sense.
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 07:53 pm
@HexHammer,
Ok you got me there but you do see knowledge in him and alot of it.
Ok we all get it wrong some times, I seen something else he wrote other than what you showed me that I questioned and did not bring up in a responce, but why the hate speach and not just point out where you disagree or just over look it.