Life too short for Philosophy?

north

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 10:27 pm
@The Joker006,
Rhys Arnold wrote:

Hello Everyone

As much as I like discussing and learning about Philosophy I personally think that it can get a little to tedious and a bit technical. I mean disucssion is great and everything but why argue the facts of science and religion? Ok much of discussion are about theories too - it's never ending and there is no fresh material to explore it's the same old. You all know the saying, "Life's too short for arguing", so why use philosophy againsts it's self?

Yes I totally understand about "thinking outside the box", but we all have lives don't you think we just get on with it? Rather than sit on our asses all day infront of a computer screen arguing a toss over atoms and god lets enjoy life because it really is too short.

I would love to hear your opinions on this one.

Have a great day
Rhys.

because we can't it seems get to a generally agreed consenses on any idea

unfortunately
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 12:07 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

I think this is a pretty lame question. To me it is nothing different than asking why a painter paints. Why are they wasting their time using brushes and paints? Shouldn't they just be looking at the world, instead of trying to capture it on canvas? Or how about a person learning to play an instrument, why are they wasting their time learning to play when they should just be listening to music instead?

Your question is just like an outsider questioning why a person has a particular hobby. It's absurd and shallow thinking.

It's like asking a history major, why learn history since its already come and gone? You seriously can not come up with a good reason to philosophize? The point isn't in arguing over a topic, it's to ultimately find a solution that works, but it doesn't have to be a full proof definitive solution.

Philosophy is also a great way to share aspects of mind.

hey are you stalking me? I'm learning to paint and play an instrument, and I'm old enough to have documented a lot of history. I'm gonna have to buy some privacy blinds.
0 Replies

stevecook172001

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 06:46 am
@The Joker006,
Rhys Arnold wrote:

Hello Everyone

As much as I like discussing and learning about Philosophy I personally think that it can get a little to tedious and a bit technical. I mean disucssion is great and everything but why argue the facts of science and religion? Ok much of discussion are about theories too - it's never ending and there is no fresh material to explore it's the same old. You all know the saying, "Life's too short for arguing", so why use philosophy againsts it's self?

Yes I totally understand about "thinking outside the box", but we all have lives don't you think we just get on with it? Rather than sit on our asses all day infront of a computer screen arguing a toss over atoms and god lets enjoy life because it really is too short.

Have a great day
Rhys.

I object to your conflation of religion and science as both dealing with facts.

Science deals with facts. Religion does not.

This is not an opinion.

Its a fact.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 07:20 am
@The Joker006,
Rhys Arnold wrote:

Hello Everyone

Have a great day
Rhys.

Life doesn't get any longer without philosophy, and I will admit that the failures of philosophy have led to people having lives they no longer fight for, but wish away by the hour, the day, the week, the month, and the year... Philosophy has always been a mark of privilage, the luxury of the free, built upon slavery for the many was the knowledge of the few....Philosophy as philosophy has not freed anyone, but it has given to everyone the potential of freedom... We are no longer hard pressed by physical needs, so if we wanted to resolve our moral problems we could have lives with enough time for philosophy and fishing and every other fun thing you can imagine... It is the want of good philosophy, and not too much of philosophy which keeps so many as slaves... Philosophy could be the door to freedom, but people who do not wish to train their minds can never harnass their desires to the extent that justice and liberty and self government will ever become realities....

Philosophy is no longer science and theology... Now, Philosophy is morality, because in the moral choices we make, and every choice is a moral choice, is the choice to be free or slave. .. If people do not make the choice the choice will be made for them... If they make their choices wrongly, or if enough people make enough wrong choices the extent of human degradation is limitless, and we have seen this in our own age with genocide and slave labor camps built upon pseudo science and false philosophy... It is the failure of philosophy that is justifying the bondage of so many just as once the failure of religion did the same.... To do philosophy is to correct philosophy and for that no dedication should be denied....

I would lay my life down before the megalithe of philosophy as I would for love alone, placing not one before the other, giving to each in turn my complete devotion, seeing in each the qualities of the other, and myself made new in them....
The Joker006

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 03:22 pm
@Fido,
Hello Fido,

Thank you for your reply. You have facinated me with your wonderfull answer. WOW thank you so much.

Have a nice day
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 04:00 pm
@Fido,
Hi Fido,
Great post!
Best wishes.
Mark...
0 Replies

sjiden

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 05:35 pm
@The Joker006,
All philosophers are pig-headed elitists that want to hold "truth" over other peoples heads. Personally, i want to be better than everyone else too so that's why i like philosophy. As for enjoying myself, believe it or not, i really do get a kick out of philosophy.
Damn, I'm such a nerd.
Fido

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 06:10 pm
@sjiden,
sjiden wrote:

All philosophers are pig-headed elitists that want to hold "truth" over other peoples heads. Personally, i want to be better than everyone else too so that's why i like philosophy. As for enjoying myself, believe it or not, i really do get a kick out of philosophy.
Damn, I'm such a nerd.

I am certain I own the head of a pig with the brain of a man, and to use it I must suggest that the truth is only a stepping stone to the good, which is the object of all human activity; if you can believe Aristotle...What do you think???
0 Replies

A Lyn Fei

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 06:10 pm
What I enjoy more than anything in this life is speaking of philosophy- certainly not in the highly technical realm, but in the free thought realm. I enjoy this freedom. And I believe it is highly important to understand the fabric of this one awareness I have. That being said, philosophy does take over my life at times. For instance, at night while I lie in bed, I can't sleep easily due to this abundance of thought. However, the times when I have stopped philosophizing, I am simply less content and, to be honest, less morally aware of my actions.
Very interesting thread, by the by. Living life is fantastic. To me, philosophy is absolutely not a waste of time. When I am dead I may not be able to hike or play the guitar, but I won't be able to think either. And how I do love to think!

Balance in the high air
Sparrow cuts the current
Shift in cerebral flare
The philosopher ascents
0 Replies

stevecook172001

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 05:31 pm
@The Joker006,
The Joker006 wrote:

Hello Everyone

Have a great day

I would like to believe that philosophy is concerned with the honest enquiry into first principles in any given arena of human action and/or thought.

I fear it is, more often than not, merely an after-the-fact narrative invented to justify such actions and/or thought.
north

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 08:32 pm

Philosophy is about understanding US the Earth and the Universe

and in the end our ability to survive in this Universe for as long as Humans can

so , " life too short for philosophy ? " is actually dinosouric , really

be instinctual and let your life existence be governed by the Universe , alone
Fido

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 09:12 pm
@stevecook172001,
stevecook172001 wrote:

Rhys Arnold wrote:

Hello Everyone

Have a great day
Rhys.

I would like to believe that philosophy is concerned with the honest enquiry into first principles in any given arena of human action and/or thought.

I fear it is, more often than not, merely an after-the-fact narrative invented to justify such actions and/or thought.

I don't give a rat for first principals which I could in no sense prove... I care only for morals... And I agree that there is a lot people try to justify with philosophy... Nietzsche was good for justifying savage man, as if there has not been enough of that...Every ideaology has its philosopher on a leash, but the fact is that situations change, and as good as an Adam Smith or Marx were, their forms are not the answer... Society, humanity progresses with a change of forms just as when a cave was traded for a dungeon... That change of dwelling represented a change of understanding, and every change of forms represents a change of understanding... Can we say we have found an ideal form, and chain forevermore all following generations to our perfect form??? In a sense, no one has to since forms are the most difficult thing to change...People are naturally conservative, and have forms to hold some good situation in time... Just as we build our houses to survive storms as a form, so we build our social forms to resist change... Unfortunately, when they fail the people they also resist change... So; you see what I mean??? Nothing here about first principals.... Just the moral situation as we find it... And no justification either... But there is something of a narrative of human behavior.... We survive through our forms, when they work; and when they do not work they endanger survival... Quite simple...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 09:21 pm
@north,
north wrote:

and in the end our ability to survive in this Universe for as long as Humans can

Understand the universe??? Sure, but start with yourself... If people will not govern their societies, and their own affairs along with their own behavior then they will be governed by it... Don't lose by default... We are all going to die, and I mean it... Some day everything on this earth will die... Until that happens keep a piece of your life in the game... We survive through our forms which are all forms of relationship... Every form represents a bit of knowledge of a certain good...There is nothing of instinct about it, and there should not be... And there is nothing we can do about the larger clockwork of the universe; but to the extent that we can, we should manage ourselves and our affairs, and to do that with some wisdom requires rational thought, which is one of the things philosophy is about...
north

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 09:24 pm
@north,
north wrote:

meaning that if we don't philosophize , think , question , understand , experiment , observe

we will be no better than dinosouars
0 Replies

north

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 09:40 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

north wrote:

Quote:
Understand the universe???

if we don't try then we are left with Universe governing our very existence , do we or you want this ? I hope not

Quote:
Sure, but start with yourself... If people will not govern their societies, and their own affairs along with their own behavior then they will be governed by it...

sure

but that doesn't conclude that philosophy has no place in life

it should in fact increase philosophies importantance

Quote:
Don't lose by default...

eh....

Quote:
We are all going to die, and I mean it... Some day everything on this earth will die...

of course , and though philosophy a better way to extend Human life and living

Quote:
Until that happens keep a piece of your life in the game... We survive through our forms which are all forms of relationship... Every form represents a bit of knowledge of a certain good...There is nothing of instinct about it, and there should not be...

instinct may though come in Handy in meeting other beings in the Universe

abit abstract I know , but valid nevertheless

Quote:
And there is nothing we can do about the larger clockwork of the universe; but to the extent that we can, we should manage ourselves and our affairs, and to do that with some wisdom requires rational thought, which is one of the things philosophy is about...

agreed
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 09:44 pm
@Fido,
Hi Fido,
One thing I can totally comply with - "What we do not control, govern, master, etc controls, governs, masters, etc.........US!"
Have a brilliant day.
Mark...
north

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 10:19 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi Fido,
One thing I can totally comply with - "What we do not control, govern, master, etc controls, governs, masters, etc.........US!"
Have a brilliant day.
Mark...

only if we do not philosopize
Fido

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 03:21 am
@north,
north wrote:

mark noble wrote:

Hi Fido,
Have a brilliant day.
Mark...

only if we do not philosopize

North..
If there is a reason for philosophy it is this: That in self control we have done much to elimate the causes of human misery... Knowledge is not power, but virtue seen in this light... A craftsman would tell you to measure twice, and cut once; but the inclination of humans is cut with no more than a cursury examination of the situation... What this means is cutting other people, or the environment to the quick... We cannot do this... We cannot afford to waste our resources on a whim when that is the very thing we most often war over, and it is a crime to destroy life and culture when it is the human story we are at the same time destroying.... No one can say what it is like to be a native in a jungle on the Amazon but that native... His story is our story... The wisdom of his people is our knowledge.... To say our prejudice in favor of our white bread and Mayonnais culture can justify the destruction of all others is criminal... Our culture is no culture IF culture is knowledge because our culture acts on instinct, on the notion that there is no tomorrow, and there are no consequences; which is to say that we act without wisdom...

Our Culture demeans knowledge as virtue, and asserts the individual -which is the denial of society, and of humanity...The thought that humanity might need the resources we now squander never crosses the mind of the individual living a life free of consideration, hedonistically... If the individual cannot learn to control himself we are doomed, and yet, the individual outside of society is always naturally, instinctually immoral.... The advantage of primitive society was that it put the individual in perspective... He was no longer the man alone, but one among many, and his growth as a person made him a microcosm of his society and culture... He could only see himself as OF his group, standing for his group: representative... How many last of the Mohecans can we endure, when with those people we lose a little of our balance, emotionally and physically, with our environment??? Survival is the wisdom of primitive peoples; not every man for himself, and not even women and children first, but all together... That is where we are, and if we cannot demonstrate self control; if we cannot show true wisdom, then the disasters and wars we hatch will become commonplace...
Fido

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 03:34 am
@Fido,
Try to remember that with this program your opportunities to edit are limited, so check your spelling on words like eliminate for typos...
The Joker006

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 06:03 am
@Fido,
Ahhh sod off