Life too short for Philosophy?

jeeprs

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 06:08 am
it is optional, like chess, or ballet. You don't have to like it, you know.
Fido

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 09:38 am
@The Joker006,
Do you understand the significance of my little finger???
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 09:58 am
@The Joker006,
The Joker006 wrote:

Hello Everyone

As much as I like discussing and learning about Philosophy I personally think that it can get a little to tedious and a bit technical. I mean disucssion is great and everything but why argue the facts of science and religion? Ok much of discussion are about theories too - it's never ending and there is no fresh material to explore it's the same old. You all know the saying, "Life's too short for arguing", so why use philosophy againsts it's self?

Yes I totally understand about "thinking outside the box", but we all have lives don't you think we just get on with it? Rather than sit on our asses all day infront of a computer screen arguing a toss over atoms and god lets enjoy life because it really is too short.

I would love to hear your opinions on this one.

Have a great day

No one, so far as I know, is compelled to philosophize, and millions (perhaps billions) of people around the world do not philosophize, but do other useful and enjoyable things. So, if you do not find philosophizing enjoyable, and you find it tedious and useless, you are under no compulsion to engage in it, why don't you stop doing it, and do something you do find useful and enjoyable? Doesn't that seem to you to be sensible advice? On the other hand, of course, there are those who find philosophy useful and enjoyable. Why express irritation with that?

I don't understand the point you are trying to make, if you are trying to make a point.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 10:01 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

Yes, it is a weird complaint (if that is what it is). It is as if he is frustrated because he doesn't like to do something he doesn't like to do, or is not able to do. People are very peculiar.
Fido

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 10:24 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

jeeprs wrote:

Yes, it is a weird complaint (if that is what it is). It is as if he is frustrated because he doesn't like to do something he doesn't like to do, or is not able to do. People are very peculiar.

The problem may be youth which from the perspective of the old is a vicious sort of madness... A man's hormones have got to shut down some before he can ever see things conceptually... Just an opinon; but it is a fact that no one enjoys doing what they do not do well, nor do well what they do not enjoy...
0 Replies

melonkali

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 03:31 pm
@The Joker006,
The Joker006 wrote:

Hello Everyone

As much as I like discussing and learning about Philosophy I personally think that it can get a little to tedious and a bit technical. I mean disucssion is great and everything but why argue the facts of science and religion? Ok much of discussion are about theories too - it's never ending and there is no fresh material to explore it's the same old. You all know the saying, "Life's too short for arguing", so why use philosophy againsts it's self?

Yes I totally understand about "thinking outside the box", but we all have lives don't you think we just get on with it? Rather than sit on our asses all day infront of a computer screen arguing a toss over atoms and god lets enjoy life because it really is too short.

Have a great day

From probably the "least" philosopher in this forum: There are many aspects of philosophy I don't "get" and, except for an occasional sojurn to see if my understanding has improved, I avoid. But there are other subcategories of philosophy which I have found useful, for example, the philosophy of aesthetics. Perhaps there are a few subcategories you might find more appealling?

rebecca
kennethamy

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 07:28 pm
@The Joker006,
It seems to me obvious that if life is too short for philosophy, then it is certainly too short to devote any time to whether life is too short for philosophy.
Fido

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 09:30 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

It seems to me obvious that if life is too short for philosophy, then it is certainly too short to devote any time to whether life is too short for philosophy.

Telling people what is obvious is child's play, and is not philosophy... You do not have the power to turn the light on in Rhys' mind... Whether he is blind or living in an infinity of nights matters not in the least...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 09:43 pm
@melonkali,
melonkali wrote:

The Joker006 wrote:

Hello Everyone

Have a great day

From probably the "least" philosopher in this forum: There are many aspects of philosophy I don't "get" and, except for an occasional sojurn to see if my understanding has improved, I avoid. But there are other subcategories of philosophy which I have found useful, for example, the philosophy of aesthetics. Perhaps there are a few subcategories you might find more appealling?

rebecca

Philosophy is luxury, and one I can ill afford... In fact, I must rob time from the essentials of life to have it... The thought that there might be some immediate use to it really robs the thing of flavor... Making love on a sticky August night would be more appealing... At least that would have its scents, and flavors, though not aesthetically so, but thick enough to hold, and fill up the mind, the nose, and soul...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 08:44 am
@melonkali,
Isn't philosophy preferable to the alternatives of nothing, or anxiety??? Isn't using ones mind for the good, to figure things out, to learn, and contribute worth all the effort and life we give to it??? What does it matter with what success one meets it... As with religion, one is looking for the eternal, the infinite, the unknown and knowable... We can do little enough, but we can all do what we can to bring our bit of truth, our knowledge, and lay it on the table to share... No one has it all... No one knows it all, and no one can do it alone... Philosophy is a shared activity with the beginning and end of love, and not just of knowledge, but of humanity, with the desiring of finding some thing useful for humanity...
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 06:27 pm
@The Joker006,
The Joker006 wrote:
I agree with you on the useful Philosophy but why do we keep banging on about it? Life goes on doesn't it.
Because people ask questions where my answer fits? ..simple?
Fido

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 07:37 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:

The Joker006 wrote:
I agree with you on the useful Philosophy but why do we keep banging on about it? Life goes on doesn't it.
Because people ask questions where my answer fits? ..simple?

Socrates said that knowledge was virtue, and I think it is safe to say that we know better. The virtuous are often thoughtful and considerate, but more than most, the immoral seek knowledge for advantage and not for morality... People are either naturally moral or accidently moral... Morality is not the result of thought, but of emotion... If a person is altruistic; If he is generous to humanity and hopeful, then knowledge is good because uncertainty that comes of honesty, and honestly knowing ones limitations prevents one from doing blindly or doing without knowing of the consequences... So morality is without thought entirely, or is the result of thought accidently because knowledge emboldens the ignorant, but encumbers the wise..
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 07:54 am
I do not think that life is too short for philosophy, but many of our brains are not wired for philosophy. We tend to have brains, I believe, that are wired for quick judgements. These quick judgements take us through each day, and then we sleep. But, for those that like philosophy, go ahead and philosophize.
Fido

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 09:27 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

I do not think that life is too short for philosophy, but many of our brains are not wired for philosophy. We tend to have brains, I believe, that are wired for quick judgements. These quick judgements take us through each day, and then we sleep. But, for those that like philosophy, go ahead and philosophize.

We are selected, usually by the economic system for quick though not necessarily moral, or good judgment.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 05:29 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

No, it's purely about training and motivation, not thereby saying all can achive genious state, which is ofc only for geniouses, but you can go very far by training and motivation.
Fido

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 06:59 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:

Foofie wrote:

No, it's purely about training and motivation, not thereby saying all can achive genious state, which is ofc only for geniouses, but you can go very far by training and motivation.

The most essential time is when a person is young, and if they are exposed to new and interesting, stimulating invironments then they can do much more... It is too mechanistic to talk of Brains being wired.. Yes; neurons do carry an electrical potential, but what is formed in a chalenging youth are neural pathways, and connection... What causes people to think causes them to grow, mentally... It is usually a misplacement of energy to try to solve the world's problems when those who could do it on their own are the ones creating the problems... So, philosophy is properly the pursuit of the old, because then life's other problems are mostly resolved and only the age old moral issues remain...

Isn't foofie a great name??? That is what I called my first child's soft security blanket, and he carried that thing till it was a little piece of rag; but he is not insecure any more, at least not noticably so... He takes after my Ex; who was small, and now he is a bankruptcy attorney... You could put my house inside of his... Maybe law is his new security blanket; made for those without the courage to relate without formality..
HexHammer

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 07:35 am
@Fido,
Fido, I have known you for some time, and I have had you on ignore for almost a year, now and then I watch your posts to see if you have improved which you have not.

Your posts are always eerily empty of rational thoughts, you are extremely talkative and what you write has no relevance to any discussion, nor relevance to real life ..and less ..does not really resemble real life.

I wonder what condition you have, do you know youself?
Cyracuz

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 11:16 am
@The Joker006,
Everyone needs to chose what they believe. And what you believe will decide alot in your life. Very many "enlightened" young people today reject anything that smells of religion, and crack their jaws at philosophy. They are forsaking faith, leaving themselves open to be told what to believe by those that would profit from their faith in them. Everyone has to believe in something. Philosophy is exploring what that something is.
Fido

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 03:51 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:

Fido, I have known you for some time, and I have had you on ignore for almost a year, now and then I watch your posts to see if you have improved which you have not.

Your posts are always eerily empty of rational thoughts, you are extremely talkative and what you write has no relevance to any discussion, nor relevance to real life ..and less ..does not really resemble real life.

I wonder what condition you have, do you know youself?

I am certain I have add... Certain it is not subtract...In any event, any dumass like you does not take longer than my little finger losing my attention, and that much is just be polite... I have never ignored you; but then you have benfitted me not at all.. Thanks.
Fido

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 03:59 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Everyone needs to chose what they believe. And what you believe will decide alot in your life. Very many "enlightened" young people today reject anything that smells of religion, and crack their jaws at philosophy. They are forsaking faith, leaving themselves open to be told what to believe by those that would profit from their faith in them. Everyone has to believe in something. Philosophy is exploring what that something is.

People are forced to believe because they do not know... If you do not know, and have no reason to guess you might know, then why believe??? It does not help... I would rather have a void the size of the universe in my mind, if I had one, than have any unjustified beliefs. Here is what I know: Not Much... And here is what I don't know: All the Rest... Everything accounted for... Some people need to believe in God to be good... I don't need to believe in God to act as though I do... And I don't need more than goodness to excuse being good... Good is what good people do...