People Who Are Stressed Out More Likely to Contract Disease

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 03:26 pm
You know, for years I have been arguing with people about the correlation of people's reaction to stress, and their susceptability to disease. Now an article comes out saying what I have been saying forever.

The concern is that people under stress might not be able to build up antibodies to vaccines that might be given to combat the war on terror:

Link Concerning Perceived Stress and Susceptability to disease.

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,286 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 08:40 pm
I've always thought that this was a pretty well-known thing, Phoenix, although, of course, the "knowledge" was largely anecdotal or due to a gut feeling among medicos. I'm glad that research is now giving credibility to what was previously just folk wisdom. Stress will also impede recovery, I think. That's one reason the strongest pain-killers are laced with tranquilizing agents as well.
0 Replies

Thinkzinc

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 05:59 pm
I think that this is definitely the case also, it seems intuitive doesn't it? It is a fairly new discipline of study though - psychoneuroimmunology. While it is true that stress can reduce the body's immune response, unfortunately it is not the case that we can improve our chances of fighting diseases such as cancer with the power of positive thinking, i.e. make our immune responses extra good.
0 Replies