WHY DON'T PEOPLE COME AS THEMSELVES?

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 08:45 pm
@ossobuco,
I guess I should explain - I was last a partner in a landscape architecture firm with front spaces that were an art gallery. (Double trouble)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 08:46 pm
@squinney,
No, I just want to grab your nose.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 09:15 pm
@ossobuco,
I guess I'll add that in landscape architecture, neither I nor the firms I worked for at some points were sued, but it was a constant underlying worry, and we had colleagues that dealt with ridiculous suits, time consuming at the least. I'd like to be a purist, but I am not.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 09:32 pm
@Ticomaya,
Hi Tico,
Glad to make your acquaintance.
What was your forte in the circus?
Have a brilliant day.
Mark...
mark noble

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 09:36 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

chai2 wrote:
In these days were people are not getting hired for jobs because of what they have written under their name on Facebook, I find it hard to believe why someone doesn't understand why one might choose to go under a false name.

There's always not saying stupid things on Facebook (or in any public mediums) as an alternative to anonymity though.

Hi Robert.
Absolutely!
Have a great day, sir.
Mark...
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 09:37 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I had no idea you were Craven.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 09:39 pm
@squinney,
Pat! Pat! Pat!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 09:41 pm
I use my real name on FB and glad that I do. Although some nut there did spend 8 or 9 hours one night sending me messages about Jesus and her superiority. It has been nice reconnecting with people I haven't seen in 30 or 40 years.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 09:44 pm
@plainoldme,
nobody knows my real name is bob, I plan to keep it that way.
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 09:53 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:
Hi Tico,
Glad to make your acquaintance.
What was your forte in the circus?
Have a brilliant day.
Mark...

Trapeze.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 09:55 pm
@Ticomaya,
with net.
A Lyn Fei

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 10:02 pm
@mark noble,
I respect you Mark, so I'll be quite sincere: I have no idea. It is possible that I like the name Fei more than... my real name. It is possible that I am a terrible person in real life and wouldn't want any lie I tell to catch up to me in writing. It is possible that I hold a significant job in which discretion is highly advised. Or it is possible that I merely want to be someone else other than this person unfairly defined by a meaningless name. Actually, I will say one thing about that "real" name which I was given: my favorite thing is that it bears no relevence or meaning in any language.
I am wondering why you are forthcoming with some information but no more? We know your name and your location. I am not asking you to say any other fact, but the reason you choose not to.

I hope you had a great Sunday.

A Lyn
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 10:23 pm
@dyslexia,
I've been known to work without one.
roger

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 10:24 pm
@dyslexia,
How would you feel if I told them you were spelling it backwards.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 10:27 pm
@Ticomaya,
I'm interested, Tico, not to be nosy.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 10:28 pm
@roger,
no, its one of those mammogram names...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 10:31 pm
@roger,
dis-interested.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 10:57 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Well, yes of course there's that.
But, since many people use internet forums as an outlet, akin to going out, having a drink or two and loosening up.
If there was no opportunity here, for instance, to express myself in a manner that people I know well, and even love would be surprised, it would be a sad thing.

I agree, and can think of a lot of non-stupid things that people would want to do anonymously too. But the Facebook(or Twitter)-related job losses I hear about are usually just people posting stupid stuff in public and if you don't want someone to see something in public is a bad place to do it.

Quote:
If someone says they act exactly the same with whoever they are with, then, wow, I feel sorry for that person.

Or very happy for them (they are either very inhibited or very uninhibited). I just think of the internet as a very public place, though and behave as I would in public. I see how pseudo-anonymity can make people think it's not public but I've seen too many 4 chan army unmaskings (where they find out who the real identity of some internet jerk is to harrass) to consider it very private. It's much easier for me to just treat that the internet as a public medium than try to secure my anonymity on it because there's a lot of ways that can go wrong.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 10:59 pm
@A Lyn Fei,
Hi A lyn,
What more is there, age 42, weight 12.12, shoe size 11 UK, hair brown, eyes brown, height 6ft, colour light tan, vehicle ford, home house. Is that enough for you?
I had a great day thankyou, A Lyn - saw a moose (in a photograph)- spent some time in garden with my dogs - watched Richard harris singing mcarthurs park - had a great meal - found some common-ground with krumple - met a trapeze artist (online) - listened to roger waters' tide is turning (live in berlin version) wrote some verses - fed and watered my vegetables and fruit trees - made a trifle - did a bit of research - chatted to you, and got ripped to shreds by some disillusioned original A2K'rs. Brilliant day! except for that last bit.

You?
xxx
Mark...
stevecook172001

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 02:02 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

everyone knows everyone in Wales, silly...

there are numerous reasons for anonymity, not the least of which is legal.

Yes, this is a good reason
0 Replies