WHY DON'T PEOPLE COME AS THEMSELVES?

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 05:16 pm
@roger,
I think he's also good at soccer, or futbol, if you will. All those soccer balls hitting his head have caused some wits to accrue.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 05:19 pm
@squinney,
You're a cute puppy.
roger

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 05:21 pm
@stevecook172001,
My bad. You didn't say that. It's just, well, it's just that you guys are so much braver than the rest of us.
stevecook172001

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 05:33 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

My bad. You didn't say that. It's just, well, it's just that you guys are so much braver than the rest of us.

I'm not brave. In fact quite the opposte. It is the fact that I know I am weak (I am a human, after all) and would be likely succumb to the temptation of hiding behind the anonymity of a pseudenym that is the reason I use my own name. It forces me to think before I post as I am putting my real personality (or as near to it as I can manage) out there to be judged by others.

And even then, I am still perfectly capable of posting absolute sh*te. Just nowhere near as much as I would if I didn't use my own name though.
roger

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 05:48 pm
@stevecook172001,
Okay, my bad. I should have directly referenced Mark Anthony.

My name is Roger, and I almost never say anything here that I wouldn't say in person. The lower case r comes from a prior forum with a fast moving chatroom attached. I didn't want anyone to feel obliged to use the shift key.

0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 06:10 pm
@mark noble,
Then you will come as "nothing", humans often want's associations/relasions to something, ie a nick name as it for them will represent a value of memory.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 06:24 pm
I started with a made up username here (I used Craven de Kere, because even back then I wanted a username made out of real names) but since decided to use my real name because, well it seemed less silly for one, more transparent for two and because my generation (and subsequent ones even more so) are less scared of the internet and much much more comfortable with our personal information on it.

I imagine there are plenty of perfectly good reasons not to use a real name (a very common one might be surfing from work) but I like the trend towards real names and real identity on the internet as much as I initially liked its anonymity.

Edit: I also like the communities that tend to use real pictures as avatars too (I'll use a better one of me as soon as I take a picture, so in the next year or so).
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 06:26 pm
@ossobuco,
Hey, osso. That's the best avatar you could have used.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 06:36 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
In these days were people are not getting hired for jobs because of what they have written under their name on Facebook, I find it hard to believe why someone doesn't understand why one might choose to go under a false name.

There's always not saying stupid things on Facebook (or in any public mediums) as an alternative to anonymity though.
Eorl

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 06:39 pm
I work in an industry where opinions can be dangerous (to me), so I feel much more free to be me by not being me.
My avatar is a self-portrait and probably says more about me that a photo would anyway.
Also, a real photo would just lead to even more stalkers Twisted Evil
Krumple

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 06:39 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
There's always not saying stupid things on Facebook (or in any public mediums) as an alternative to anonymity though.

I am so glad that I can say that I have never had a facebook account. Once the fad is over like myspace and everyone is moving on to the next trend.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 06:40 pm
I use my real name on facebook, but I also censor myself more thoroughly on there.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 08:06 pm
@Eorl,
Quote:
I work in an industry where opinions can be dangerous (to me), so I feel much more free to be me by not being me.
I agree...I find myself in the same situation.
Quote:
Also, a real photo would just lead to even more stalkers
Cant say I would have THAT problem though.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 08:07 pm
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_z2t3-2ANqrg/TB7JJdT7ICI/AAAAAAAABgA/rE20Da7OvvU/s400/SIPRESS_Cheer-me-up.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 08:22 pm
@ossobuco,
Meantime, I still love that moose photo. Made my day, it did.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 08:27 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

chai2 wrote:
In these days were people are not getting hired for jobs because of what they have written under their name on Facebook, I find it hard to believe why someone doesn't understand why one might choose to go under a false name.

Well, yes of course there's that.
But, since many people use internet forums as an outlet, akin to going out, having a drink or two and loosening up.
If there was no opportunity here, for instance, to express myself in a manner that people I know well, and even love would be surprised, it would be a sad thing.

Is that saying I'm not being myself with others, people I know IRL?
Of course not.

But, I really don't know that I'd want my mother (she's long dead, but using that as an intimate example), or boss, neighbor to realize it's me talking about masturbation, odd things I've done in the past, and presently do, my religious beliefs that may involve sacrificing goats, etc.

If someone says they act exactly the same with whoever they are with, then, wow, I feel sorry for that person.

When I am here, I'm me, but I think of myself as chai.
Sometimes, I've almost called myself that in front of people I know personally, as in "well, this is another chai moment"

chai is me in the 3rd person in the real world, it's me in the 1st person here.

I'm always chai-tastic though.

dyslexia

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 08:31 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
I'm always chai-tastic though
yes you are and I'm confident that eventually the meds will make a difference in your quality of life.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 08:35 pm
@dyslexia,
I don't get into a lot of things like politics here much, but I would not at all if my local populace could read what I write here and tie me to it.

I would have to move and turn in my redneck's license.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 08:35 pm
@Ionus,
Not all architects carry errors and omission insurance for the rest of their lives, least of all me: it is incredibly expensive, not to mention complicated.., while the lawsuits are often ill wrought, that is, stupid. Oh, plus, costly. We also used to have gallery openings where we served wee glasses of wine. From time to time, we refused the apparently besotted. In the crowds, someone could have skipped out the door, not good re california law, and we kept an eye on that, and acted on it. As a ploy, we had real glasses, but that is only a deterrent for some. Many, almost countless times, we did not agree to show the work of an artist. Resentment builds.

I like the ideal of free for all, but in practical terms, I prefer discretion - while I've been free as the poster osso here.
squinney

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 08:44 pm
@plainoldme,
Awshucks. Rub my belly! Rub my belly!