Ragman

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 10:25 am
Ragman = my initials RAG + man.
mark noble

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 10:25 am
@snood,
Hi Snood,
Most of, not all.
To some I am a celebrity, to others I am not.
Best wishes.
Mark... ps. your avatar looks like tiger woods!
farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 10:58 am
@mark noble,
I own and am a partner in operating a sheep farm. My professional life includes being in the public eye and Id rather not be providing anyone with fuel to fry me in court. Also, my family name is unpronounceable to earthlings.
DrewDad

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 11:03 am
@farmerman,
I feel so ewes'd.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 11:14 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I own and am a partner in operating a sheep farm. My professional life includes being in the public eye and Id rather not be providing anyone with fuel to fry me in court. Also, my family name is unpronounceable to earthlings.

My reasoning was similar when I joined the New York Times website, Abuzz - although my family name is pronounceable by earthlings. In order to ask a question there, I had to come up with a username, and not wanting to put in my own name, I came up with several italian names for food. There were all taken, by other site members, until I landed on ossobuco, a meat dish from the Emilia-Romagna region of Italy. I wish I had contemplated the name a little longer; I could have come up with other interesting food names. Once I started posting, my floodgate of blather opened, and I/me became associated inextricably with the name ossobuco.

I happen not to be italian, but that doesn't deter me from being fond of a lot of aspects of italian culture.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 11:16 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

Nothing about our identity is every static so why should our names be static?

A most simple and correct statement on the importance of usernames.

As an individual, my name is Stephen Atwood. There are many Atwoods out there in the world but not to sound hyperbolic but I do believe I'm the only Tsarstepan in the internet universe. So I do corner the market (more or less on this identity).

I wear my heart on my sleeves as well as my username. I don't hide the fact that I chosen my username because of a singular love of a past Russian history class I had taken back in the mid1990's taught by Professor Nicholas Racheotes back when I attended school at Framingham State College.

And at the dawn of the internet era, I needed a username for my email so I added the academically approved spelling of tsar to the russified spelling of my first name. Tsar + Stepan = Tsarstepan.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 11:18 am
@squinney,
squinney wrote:

My name and avatar are "me."

I used to be all happy with myself, but there were not enough letter spaces for names when I moved from Abuzz to A2K. In real life, for the most part, I remain all happy with myself in my "life is silly" way.

You are a very very well written beagle squinney!! What kind of customized keyboard do you use so that you can type with those paws? Cool
0 Replies

Transcend

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 11:29 am
My name really is Mike, but that's all I would really like to give away to a mass audience of people such this forum. I would tell an individual friend like yourself my name and location if you so desired, but why would you want to, or need to know, I wonder?

'Guitarists are a dime a dozen' are you that Mark Noble? Google really is a magnificent thing!
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 11:50 am
@Transcend,
Huh, I found a Mark Anthony Noble of Wales who was an accountant...

Anyone that curious to know my real name just needs to use Google. My real name and my user name have been around the internet for so long that they can be associated with a little bit of effort. You'll just have to figure out which of the many people who have my same name is me.

On the other hand, if they want to know a little about me, the one on A2K, all they need do is read my profile.
mark noble

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 12:30 pm
@Transcend,
Transcend wrote:

'Guitarists are a dime a dozen' are you that Mark Noble? Google really is a magnificent thing!

Hi Mike,
I have two guitars, one acoustic - one electric/lead. If I could tune them, I would strum a few awkward chords, I'm sure. I wont be found on the net, though.
Best wishes.
Mark...
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 12:32 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

Hi Bfn,
Sitting in an office adding up numbers? Ouch! Not me.
Best wishes.
Mark...
Khethil

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 12:32 pm
My name isn't me. The user name is just a reference point, that's all
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 12:44 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Butrflynet wrote:

Hi Bfn,
Sitting in an office adding up numbers? Ouch! Not me.
Best wishes.
Mark...

Quote:
My real name is Mark Anthony Noble, I live in Swansea City. South Wales and couldn't care less who knows.

So then you do care what people know of you; at the least, that what they know is correct. Wink <-- That's a playful wink. I'd tickle your side if you were in arm's reach to let you know I was teasing you.

mark noble

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 01:53 pm
@Butrflynet,
Hi Bfn.
Ha-ha. Brilliant!
xxx
Mark...
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 01:55 pm
At several points in my life I worked in radio. At one point, I got tired of being me on the air all the time, so every day I was someone different, "sitting in for [real name]". Someone a bit unclear on the concept, called up, pissed at the station for "firing [real name] and hiring someone who sounds just like him". I was Fenris Wolf, Mort Darthur, several others I forget, and Monterey Jack (think refrigerator case at the supermarket), A Big Cheese in a Small Puddle, the one I liked best. They finally made me pick just one because I was "casting disrepute on the institution of the radio name". I want back to being me. I was MontereyJack on abuzz, but kind of liked the concept of my username being "username"" and was that for a couple years here, til they reorganized and I couldn't remember the email account I signed up with, since my ISP kept merging and changing my account, so they said the name was already taken and I couldn't use it, but it's ME that's taken it, and I can't get it back, so I reverted to MJ

Also my real name is the same as that of an early internet celebrity of sorts. Years ago someone looked in a phone book and posted my phone number as his, which is unlisted. For a few months I was getting very strange phone calls. Last year some loon who was convinced the other guy was taking over his computer and changing his email and phone messages and ruining his life, started leaving messages on my phone machine telling me he knew who I was and he had hired the best legal mind in the country and was going to take me to court the next week and take me for so much in damages I "would have to leave the continent". It took months to convince the other guy and I were different.

So,no, I will stay MJ.
Letty

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 02:01 pm
@MontereyJack,
You were in radio, MJ? Fabulous.

Sorry, Mark, didn't mean to get off topic.

How did you know that my name was Betty?
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 02:06 pm
@MontereyJack,
And here I was thinking it was because you lived in one of my most favorite California cities...

Were you lucky enough to have lived there while doing radio and shopping for cheese? Very Happy
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 02:14 pm
Browsed through my old blog entries and finally found this old post. Rather than write it all again, I'll just paste it here:

Quote:
Sunday, August 03, 2003
People often ask what is the story behind my use of the screen name Butrflynet. I've been using Butrflynet since February, 1990 when I first signed up on AOL 1.0. At the time, screen names were only permitted 10 characters so I had to shorten butterfly. I've never really used any other name except when playing characters in role playing games on the internet. Even then, my account names have always been Butrflynet. It is such an unusual spelling that I've always found it available when creating new accounts at various domains.

The reason for the name Butrflynet has many aspects to it. Butterflies represent nature, peace, freedom, travel, metamorphosis, inner beauty, change. The Net part of the name had to do with my new found interest and love for the internet, and my effort to search for and capture all those aspects of the butterfly.

I loved the play on words in my profile when I put "I used to be a c'pillar of the community" as my occupation.

http://butrfly.net/cycle2.gif
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 02:24 pm
Reyn is a shortened version of my real first name.

Rockhead

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 02:27 pm
@Reyn,
Reynflower in the Mist?

(i'd shorten it, too...) Wink

my username was the name of my pretend baseball team that brought me here.

it kinda fits...