last man standing draw - excel file

pearson

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 07:38 pm
If i have a block of 300 numbered cells i.e. A:1 to Y:12, can I have a cell outside of that block that could be used to delete a number in the block - i.e. Type 257 in this cell and the cell with 257 in it (which would be G:11) would glear its contents..? Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 4,204 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 09:14 pm
@pearson,
Not sure about Excel, in Lotus 123, I used to do formulas that went something like if(cellreference)is not equal to X then NUll.

Do a search in the Excel help screen for a term called data validation. Look for something referring to applying data validation to a cell.
jespah

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 06:36 am
@Butrflynet,
Yep, it should be like that.

= if(A1=X,"",X)

Where A1 is the cel reference and X is the amount you're looking to delete. The format of it is essentially saying, if we get the match correct, put in "" which is just two double quotes and nothing between them, e. g. null. But if it is not correct, just leave it alone. Hard to get it as the reference to what's exactly in the cel, though, e. g. if you were to change the number to X+1, you'd have to change this formula. There may be a way to reference to the amount in the cel, even if it's a variant, but that's more likely to be something possible (if at all) with VB Code.
0 Replies