What's Cooking in Sophia's Kitchen ?

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 07:49 pm
@sometime sun,
Ok, you'll be sorry you asked. As it happened, ehBeth asked about tuna and parsley on another thread just today (or, maybe yesterday). The a2k cooks thread. You are all MORE THAN WELCOME. Just butt in, like I am here.

I am certainly saucy, sometimes too much. I'm generally well meaning except when I am bitchy, which, of course is a sign of temper and weakness. Or, the opposite. (philosophy for the day)

I now have a fulgent refrigerator. One declining eggplant (I've never made eggplant parmigiano, but I've had really good eggplant at one restaurant, with mere dollops of good mozzarella bubbling atop a thin slice, quick fired). I think my eggplant will go into an eggplant/rice dish by craig claiborne, involving no salting et al, which I've posted on before. Or, compost. Wait....

Ok, here's that Claiborne link. I like it because it is easy and tastes good -
http://able2know.org/topic/129042-1#post-3565676

sometime sun

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 10:37 pm
@ossobuco,
You forgot tangy, you are also tangy.(smile)

Aubergine as we call them here I have always been a little afraid of using as I don't like salt.
But I keep hearing this call to all cooks,
"no need to salt, no need to salt"
I do make a mean vegetarian moussaka.
So may just take you up on mozzarella eggplant the next time it is in season here.
I prefer mozzarella in my moussaka.
I also always thought rice went great with mozzarella but always thought this was frowned upon?

Who here tries to eat seasonal?
What are the benefits and drawbacks?
What could you not live without were you to live totally seasonally?
Tomatoes are a given, but what else?

and what about the almighty organic?
Fact or fiction?
ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 10:47 pm
@sometime sun,
The salt the eggplant thing was apparently premised on that everyone had big old wrinkley eggplants.

Not that I know. I've only done that once, just more motion.
sometime sun

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 11:13 pm
@ossobuco,
Forgive me;
"had big old wrinkley" "I've only done that once, just more motion"
ossobuco are you flirting with me?
should I now describe how fresh and ripe my eggplants are?
and yet how they can only come around once maybe twice a year and never at Christmas?
(sun shakes his head in dismay at barely funny utterly puerile penis jokes)

(to familiar?)
ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 11:14 pm
@sometime sun,
Fine with me, eggplants are ripe for this.
sometime sun

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 11:19 pm
@ossobuco,
Shame I always crop to prematurely then.

(I'll stop now I think before we start to talk about heads of corn)
ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 11:22 pm
@sometime sun,
I've never actually planted eggplant seeds or starter pots. Wait, maybe next year, here in hellville.

Yes, I'm teasing you, sometime sun. I'm not the unfriendly person I may sound.

Don't cut me off..

uh oh, that was a tease.
Not meant for offense. Oy vey.
sometime sun

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 11:39 pm
@ossobuco,
We could talk about the natural cheese that accompanies eggplant?
but now I find my jokes pasteurising and a little unpleasant to taste. (smile)

(this whole humour thing is utterly new and untravelled for me, it makes me nervous, I hope not to obvious and distasteful though?)

No not unfriendly, I have to go out to get soap powder, so see you later.
Thanks I did smile a little, I hope you did also.

Oy vey, I'll get there eventually..................... That's what she said.

"Don't cut me off", that's what Bobit said. (boom boom)
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 11:58 pm
@salima,
I will try your ice-tea with mint to-day. The forcast says temp. will go over
30 *C, which is HOT for here. I am taking the after-noon off to go go the park and will take the tea with me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 12:07 am
@sometime sun,
I'm not a Bobbit (bobbitt?) fan. Trust me. Move over to the wall. Yes, just to the right.. um, your right.

Ok, this is silly.

Glad to just talk.

If any of you are interested in parsley..

a recent post on parsley and tuna: http://able2know.org/topic/90735-41#post-4193987

0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 01:52 am
First results of match-making; inter-forum flirt in the Kitchen by visiting Chef from a2k. Proves they all are real people !

Very Happy
ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 02:05 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Hi, Pep.
what's happening?

Oh, I'm no chef. Just a long time food follower. Long before the word "foodie". I'm like a hundred years old.
I'm well aware of my nonothingness. I do know this and that, never meant to be some kind of cloud of knowledge upon the plain. Plus, I have a lot to learn, don't get me started. Or, do, I'll be tuning in. Oh, besides all that, I can be arrogant. Add your own take on that.
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 02:49 am
@ossobuco,
Yust a way to make a compliment I guess... I was thinking now the blood-groups mingle it's more fun. At first some allergic reaction, but now it seems fine. Weren't there any Philosophers on a2k before ? I still think it's pretentious (a little) to call yourself a philosopher, but in miy case it's no lie. I always loved knowledge and gradually came to understand there is more to wisdom than thât.

I love cooking because the possibilities are end-less. I actually collected receipy's for Eh! and courgettes ! I love most the balance between healthy and economic foods, complicated by my desire to live ecologically. All together I try living consiously in a complicated world.

Love the exchange of Ideas !

Magister PS Very Happy Do U Feel Arrogant ?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 03:04 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pep, I'm giddily glad you are here, no matter what I answered in confusion on the eh remark.

On A2kers before all of you, several have degrees in philosophy. Not me, I'm stupid in it, though I was swell in logic with a big fat A. I rarely mention I got a d in theology.

We don't really parse for degrees here, but some have them, at length, professors, etc.; some of the sharpest are sans, maybe even most of the sharpest.

Be well and enjoy.
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 03:29 am
@ossobuco,
Magister was the first 'university'-title in the Middle Ages. It runs back to Roman times, i.c. the Master of the Horses. This title existed until the Fall of Byzantium and ended as a ceremonial title for the Emperor.

In the Middle Ages is was a honorary title for a teacher paid by it's students instead of the local bishop. Later it got it's mystical meaning. I actually took esoteric classes ...

I love history and Qld Ways of thinking. Think rationalism sometimes very boring. Except it's existence, but keep protesting again gross rationalizations of the subjective aspects of our existence like believes.

Don't U think Cooking a sort of Alchemy ? Did you read Como Aqua para Chocolate by Laura Esquivel ?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 03:43 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
I recognize magister, of course. I also recognize alchemy. I wrote a paper on it as a freshman in high school and shocked all the nuns. Just the start of my later life re chemistry, and all that. You are clearly more mystically oriented than me.

I did see Water for Chocolate. It annoyed me.

Snort! We'll have fun. Welcome, Pepijn.

Uh oh, I'm the interloper on the thread. Egads.

Nods.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 04:07 am
@ossobuco,
Wow again ! How strange; I wrote a paper on nucleair fusion in high-school, the severly protestant teacher thought it impossible to equal God. He's still right !

I just believe both... By lack of a scientific explanation I fall back to legends and religion for clues.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 04:20 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Eh (there's that semi word again), a childhood friend of mine married a guy who worked with nuclear fusion. She and I were both raised extremely catholic. I left, on all that, took me a while, and she stayed and, as far as I know, and as I've met her again in the last few years, is still a stallwart. This is many decades later. (I'm one of the oldies here, but please don't be nice to me).

Oh, look, we're digressing. Such a symptom of sloppy a2kness.
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 04:34 am
@ossobuco,
I took the liberty to leave you a receipy. My boy-friends favourite cake. Oops, out my virtual closet ! Hope it's not a big thing on a2k.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 04:47 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
No, it isn't any kind of big deal. Be calmed. Well, there are some loons, but never mind them.

Meantime, I'm sleep deprived. Near 5 a.m. here. Be well.