Please HELP

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 02:41 pm
Hi everyone, Razz

I’m a new member. Nice to meet you all .
Hope that by frequent visit to this forum, I’ll be able to improve my English. My question is :

From a “correct/incorrect” exercise .

1. Sorry for being late. – this was incorrect.

2. I’m sorry. I’m late. – this was the correct response.

How do you explain this ?

Thank you in advance and best regards, :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,316 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 02:56 pm
Hi and welcome, "Sorry for being late." The subject and verb are missing. "I am sorry for being late" would be more grammatically correct.

"I’m sorry. I’m late." You've got subjects and verbs here.

From a strictly grammatical perspective, the first example may be viewed as wrong and the second as right. However, in English, it is common to say "Sorry" without including the subject and verb, which are implied. "Sorry to hear that." "Sorry you think so." Etc.

On the other hand, the second example is stilted and unnatural. At the very least, the two simple sentences should be made into one--I'm sorry I'm late. In this case, the "that" is implied--"I'm sorry that I'm late."

I hope my response has helped. And sorry to be disagreeing with your test answers. (There is nothing wrong with the sentence I just wrote. LOL.)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 03:16 pm
Roberta- I am glad that you supplied the answer. I thought that I would have to go back to English class. I always say stuff like, "Sorry for being late"! Very Happy
0 Replies

thatsonanhhung

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 06:55 am
Thank you so much Roberta Razz
Your explanation was great . Many thanks .

Phoenix,
You're not the only one who says "sorry for being late"... I heard this often so I marked "correct" on "1" and ended up loosing a point in this exercise :wink:

Thanks again for your help.
Good day Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 07:44 am
thatsonanhhung- I think that learning a language is like learning how to paint. You learn the proper techniques, and then you are able to do with it what you want! Laughing
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 08:18 am
It seems the exercise is made by a pompous pedant. I'm glad to see Roberta got it right without insisting on her picky standpoint. Smile
However, the dear pedant has scared Phoenix Razz ; I'm also glad to see Roberta has helped the poor mod out of her confidence crisis.

PS. thatsonanhhung, why did you want to use that "razz" icon to thank Roberta? Didn't you know "razz" mean "a raspberry sound" or "a Bronx cheer" but not "a honest smile"? Razz
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 03:21 pm
Oristar, You have no way of knowing anything about thatsonanhungg's teacher. If he or she is not a native English speaker, then the question and answer are neither pretentious nor pedantic.

As for the razz. It looks like a big smile. And within the context of the message, I assumed it was intended as a big smile and accepted it as such.

thatsonanhungg, I'm glad I was able to help.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 09:54 pm
Quote:

As for the razz. It looks like a big smile. And within the context of the message, I assumed it was intended as a big smile and accepted it as such.

Razz So I'm afraid thatsonanhhung used it intentionally and our dear Roberta accepted it blindly as a good smile. Razz
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 12:35 am
Oristar, "Intendedly" is not a word. I believe the word you're looking for is "intentionally." :-)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 12:41 am
What razz icon? The smile? I took it as a smile.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 12:44 am
I think it is probably useful to know how to use icons, or, if not use them, understand them when they are used by others. I prefer to express myself in words myself. In fact, I am iconically conservative! (Some of us here make up new words, such as 'iconically'.)
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 12:54 am
Roberta, No doubt "intentionally" is an accurate usage in this case. Although "intendedly" is in one of my dictionaries, but I decided to drop it from now on in the same situation.

Osso, razz icon = Razz
Just put your mouse indicator on the icon, it will show "razz" but not smiling; or you can check out the property of the icon by right clicking it and choosing property.
0 Replies

thatsonanhhung

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 06:42 am
Hi there, Laughing

Roberta,
Thank you so much for your help, and many thanks for your understanding regarding "the smiling face". Very Happy

Ossobuco, thank you ! Laughing

Oristar,
Thanks for your remark.
I didn't pay much attention to definitions of icons Sad
I thought Razz as a big smile where the tongue is seen. Razz
The other smiling faces where the teeth are shown. Laughing Very Happy
Just my own interpretation ! BTW, I'm new to the net chatting Confused
Hope this will clear things up !
Luckily, Roberta didn't take it as seriously as you did.
However, I'll pay more attention next time.

Good day to you all !
And many thanks for your help .
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 06:46 am
Quote:
However, the dear pedant has scared Phoenix

OristarA- Fuggadaboudit! It will take more than a cockamamie English teacher to scare I. Hey, I'm from Brooklyn, the only place where people talk good. Dontcha know! Laughing
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 11:59 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:
However, the dear pedant has scared Phoenix

OristarA- Fuggadaboudit! It will take more than a cockamamie English teacher to scare I. Hey, I'm from Brooklyn, the only place where people talk good. Dontcha know! Laughing

Razz Agreed. Fugget about it! Razz

thatsonanhhung, enjoy staying here, A2K is a good forum! Very Happy
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 12:33 am
thatsun, One simple rule I try to follow is to make sure I have a noun and a verb in a sentence. Wink WELCOME to A2K. c.i.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 01:07 am
So do I, at least when I'm playing off Roberta's posts. I never know if I'm being read or graded. Confused
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 03:46 am
Roger, Read, never graded. Ever. If you don't pay me to notice mistakes and if you don't ask me a question about English, I don't notice nothing. Well, I might notice, but I don't much care. Well, I might care, but I don't judge. :-D
0 Replies