How do you stop a dog from pissing in the house because she has seperation anxiety?

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 08:11 am
I have a 3 yr. old female shedherd / kita mix. I leave her out most of the time but when the weather is bad I leave the doggie door open so my dogs can have shelter in the sunroom. Over the last few months the dog has started to piss on my carpet in the sunroom when I leave and i suspect it's seperation anxiety. She has also started doing this when I' home when she is jealous of my other dog. I have tried scolding her and when that really didn't work I would put her out in the dog run by herself after I showed her the piss mark. She is really a great dog so I need help in trying to resolve this problem.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,096 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 08:12 am
@maddog500,
Have you brought her to a vet to rule out a physical problem?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 09:50 am
Well, I can tell you that what you're doing now is making it worse, not better, if in fact your dog suffers from separation anxiety. How would you like it if you were scolded each time you did something out of fear? Or separated from the people you feared being separated from?

You need to get her checked out to 1) rule out physical issues and 2) if she has separation anxiety.

If the latter, medicine and behavior modification will help with the problem. My dog needed strict boundaries to stop peeing in the house while we were gone, but not too strict, as in a crate. It's a trial and error and takes patience.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 09:53 am
@maddog500,
maddog500 wrote:
How do you stop a dog from pissing in the house because she has seperation anxiety?

Put the dog outside when you leave.
0 Replies

Painterly

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 09:56 am
Dog therapist?
0 Replies

IceB0x

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 01:34 am
@maddog500,
What you need to do is find interesting toys for your dog to play with while you're gone. It lowers anxiety and keeps her thoughts on other things. Also, when you leave, leave 10 minutes and return. When she stops urinating, make your leave longer. It helps her adjust. If you're leaving to work, then I still suggest toys. Bones that food falls out of when moved, for example, are good for them when you're gone.

You also need to establish dominance over your dogs. They feel as though they need to compete for any attention. You need to help the dog realize they get attention when >you< want to give it to them, not when >they< want you to give it to them. Practice making a dog sit while you give the other one attention. Then switch dogs. After a while, the dog will realize they will recieve attention if they're patient.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 06:29 am
Quote:
You also need to establish dominance over your dogs. They feel as though they need to compete for any attention. You need to help the dog realize they get attention when >you< want to give it to them, not when >they< want you to give it to them. Practice making a dog sit while you give the other one attention. Then switch dogs. After a while, the dog will realize they will recieve attention if they're patient.

This is also important for a dog with separation anxiety. They must have a strict sense of security and routine. When things get out of routine at my house, my dog goes just a little backwards.
0 Replies