AugustineBrother

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2016 06:22 am
@mark noble,
Philosophically and linguistically the word 'nothing' is a privative. Just like the word a-theist and in-finite and im-(=in) possible.

0 Replies

Thomas33

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2016 07:00 am
No, although there's then the problem of causality. My own research into reality suggests that causality can't be resolved because with reality and causation being synonymous to know one is to know the other, which is physically impossible.
mark noble

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2016 10:10 am
@Thomas33,
Causality is only relevant to physical properties.
0 Replies

breakclaycontainer

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2016 07:25 pm
@Logicus,
empty space isn't nothing in fact matter is made from space
0 Replies

breakclaycontainer

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2016 07:47 pm
@mark noble,
if nothing doesnt exist it does a good job at existing
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2016 08:05 pm
@breakclaycontainer,
It's funny how people can talk about not existing.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2016 03:03 am
@breakclaycontainer,
The absence of absence is pretty straight forward.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2016 03:30 am
Nothing does indeed exist. Nothing is merely where space-time does not exist. There must have been something (or nothing) before space-time in order for our universe to begin.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2016 07:20 am
@giujohn,
So what is it that is not spacetime and yet it is some place ??? As far as I recall my definition of somewhere points too a package of space a dimension place !
Nothing its a self contradictory concept, ultimately it erases itself from existence by DEFINITION.
giujohn

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2016 11:16 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

So what is it that is not spacetime and yet it is some place ??? As far as I recall my definition of somewhere points too a package of space a dimension place !
Nothing its a self contradictory concept, ultimately it erases itself from existence by DEFINITION.

I know it's hard to wrap your head around this but the answer is nothing!
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2016 11:41 am
@giujohn,
A word must report to any given thing...having some hand waving pseudo concept doesn't mean you grasped any transcendental fact about it.
In reality you have replacement of things with other things, transmutation not absence in its purest sense. This is even truer when we talk about the absence of everything which necessarily would include the absence of absence itself. The concept of Nothingness is philosophically poor and tricky.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2016 11:47 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
The concept of Nothingness is philosophically poor and tricky.

And it goes nowhere.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2016 11:48 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
There is a lot to be said about spacetime as a primary order phenomena in reality. For instance in my pov just like in a movie anything that is real in any spacetime frame is real forever. The passage of time is just an elaborate illusion. Again like in a film where an X given set of frames has already occurred that does not imply the film tape has vanished. Nothingness is a simple-minded concept born out of our everyday common sense experiencing of the passage of time and transmutation of phenomena which on close scrutiny doesn't pass any logical test.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2016 11:51 am
@cicerone imposter,
Yes indeed and yet people love to fantasise about it ya know cause it apparently appeals to "freedom"...some people confuse nothingness with free form openness... whatever that intends to mean in the simpleton minds that think of it as a very liberating concept.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2016 12:18 pm
The concept of what exists outside of this universe or brane or for that matter what may have or what still does exist before our universe started is nothing because there was no time...thats thes definition I'm referring to and it would exist I imagine at plank length (or smaller?) And it is hard to wrap our macro brains around it.
Slugfoot

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2016 01:55 am
@giujohn,
I don't get it. If time didn't exist before the big bang, then how could anything happen to cause it? Pardon my naivety.

Also, (being a lazy bastard) I didn't read the whole thread so apologies if anyone has already mentioned Prof. Jim Al-Khalili's rather spiffing documentary "Everything and Nothing", which I'm unfortunately unable to find on Youtube. If anyone else can find it I would highly recommend it.
mark noble

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 06:34 am
@cicerone imposter,
'Nowhere' doesn't exist either, Cic.
Anything that starts with 'No' is absent by definition.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 06:37 am
@Slugfoot,
Everything........... Always.......... WAS, IS and Will EVER Be.Smile
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 07:12 am
@Slugfoot,
Do we know for certain that in the place outside of our universe the time is required for cause and effect? Once again here we are trying to understand nothingness based on our local understanding.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 08:10 am
"Cause" and "effect" can be reduced to ordering in a timeless pov about reality...it has nothing to do or to say about nothingness....
Nothingness by definition, get a dictionary, has no placing...