Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2011 11:38 pm
@JLNobody,
Could n´t the same be said of your self experienced apple ?
...for me it is a residue of something else which you are trying to explain into others...and yet I am able to understand that the relational character of things does n´t make them less truthful...your apple still is your apple...
(...by the way, you missed the dynamics adding up in between all those property´s, they are called functions and they very much should be accounted for...)
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2011 11:57 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
...further, those property´s are themselves smaller order functions in between a even smaller order of property´s and so on...
...eventually you get to an ultimate non caused nature (property/truth/form), which is the algorithmic entry point to the final set of all sets of functions, itself a function on the exit point, and which, I even dare speculate, that probably equals the prime form !
(a bit like in fractal sequences)

...INFINITY IS CONFINED TO FINITY !
north

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 12:02 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

...further, those property´s are themselves smaller order functions in between a even smaller order of property´s and so on...
...eventually you get to an ultimate non caused nature (property/truth/form), which is the algorithmic entry point to the final set of all sets of functions, itself a function on the exit point, and which, I even dare speculate, that probably equals the prime form !
(a bit like in fractal sequences)

" function on the exit point " meaning ?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 12:14 am
@north,
...a function can only be established with an entry and exit point...completeness that is or the true meaning of the word FORM !
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 12:18 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
...note that such completeness does not contradict infinity once the cycle repeats...it only limits in a finite fixed number the diversity or quality of true forms/functions you can use...those are the laws...
0 Replies

north

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 12:26 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

...a function can only be established with an entry and exit point...completeness that is or the true meaning of the word FORM !

but that does not prove that nothing exists

a form needs the energy and/or mass to make itself manifest , therefore it was something all along
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 12:30 am
@north,
...did you read what I wrote above ?
"Form" or "mass" are themselves lower level functions of something else...which bottom line eventually reach some form of mandatory base non caused law "thingness"...it may be the case that you want to call that physical, but such thing has nothing to do with the physical you experience...I rather call it True Nature or Final Nature instead...oh, and of course nothing does not exist !
north

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 12:39 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

...did you read what I wrote above ?
"Form" or "mass" are themselves lower level functions of something else...which bottom line eventually reach some form of mandatory base non caused law "thingness"...it may be the case that you want to call that physical, but such thing has nothing to do with the physical you experience...I rather call it True Nature or Final Nature instead...oh, and of course nothing does not exist !

you were on a roll of understanding ( the light bulb effect of thought ) at least it seemed to me

just had to slow you down enough to understand what you were trying to say!!!!

now I gotch-ha

and yes I agree , the is the minute physical which we all don't experience but of which we are all intertwind and part of
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 12:43 am
@north,
...yep, its great when we can actually get to explain in a minimal satisfactory manner that which we know being the case while find it hard to convey it adequately... Wink
north

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 12:53 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

...yep, its great when we can actually get to explain in a minimal satisfactory manner that which we know being the case while find it hard to convey it adequately... Wink

Discovery , is a very energizing experience
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 08:07 am
@north,
north wrote:

guigus

Quote:
Well, either you are saying that the word "nothing" does not exist or that whatever it means, which is no thing at all, does not exist. Since the word obviously exists, let us concentrate whatever it means.

If no thing at all does not exist, then everything exists, meaning either that:

your on the wrong track of reasoning here

I'm just following the logical consequences of what a word means, namely, "nothing." And that word, "nothing," means no thing, right? So, unless that is not what that word means, I am not only in the right track, but also in the only possible track. Any other track will lead you nowhere.

north wrote:
nothing is about the absence of something

The word "nothing" means the absence of everything: it means no thing. Of course you can restrict its context, by which it will mean the absence of everything in a certain context, which is what you refer by "the absence of something," but this is up to you, and it is optional: the word itself has no restriction.

north wrote:
whereas , no-thing is a discussion about , a thing or things themselves

The word nothing is the negation of all things, even though possibly within a certain context. But any restriction you impose on it will always be arbitrary and accidental: the only necessary and essential meaning of nothing is the negation of all being---no thing. And the only serious way of thinking about a meaning is by disregarding any arbitrary limits imposed on it.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 08:23 am
Being cannot be fully negated, namely its possibility...and obviously all words have constrains...that´s precisely how we know what they mean...in practical terms nothing can only negate actuality´s...if it were to negate possibility´s its own possibility would be negated becoming non rational and thus vanishing from meaning anything...now we know it is the case that the word has some pragmatical use...
guigus

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 08:42 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Being cannot be fully negated, namely its possibility...and obviously all words have constrains...that´s precisely how we know what they mean...in practical terms nothing can only negate actuality´s...if it were to negate possibility´s its own possibility would be negated becoming non rational and thus vanishing from meaning anything...now we know it is the case that the word has some pragmatical use...

Of course being can be fully negated: not being. See? That you don't like this is an entirely different matter.
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 08:55 am
The word "nothing" means there is no being at all, even if only within a certain context.

For example, if I am absent from a room, then in that room I am nothing. It is irrelevant that I am something outside of that room (or possibly something inside of it), since the context of my nothingness is restricted to my present absence from that same room: it is a plain logical mistake to define a meaning by disregarding the very contextual restrictions (where and when) on which it essentially depends.

So even when dealing with my present absence from a certain room, we must deal with the absolute nothingness that this very absence represents in that context.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 09:03 am
...what people must realise regarding this issue is, absence of what ? without a WHAT there´s nothing to be absent...so possibility´s cannot be negated at any instance...
guigus

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 09:11 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

...what people must realise regarding this issue is, absence of what ? without a WHAT there´s nothing to be absent...so possibility´s cannot be negated at any instance...

What you must realize is that the only way nothingness could depend on whatever being it negates (or on its possibility) would be by being something. Unfortunately, nothingness is nothing, remember? And nothing cannot depend on anything: it negates everything, including all possibility. For example, if I am absent from a room, then it is not possible that I am present in that room (just remember that I am absent from it).
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 09:16 am
@guigus,
I will reply to you just this once out of the sheer nonsense that you just did post precisely because you just did finally admit that :

Quote:
nothingness is nothing

...meaning there´s no nothing.

(and that´s it, you are on my ignore list and will stay there so don´t bother replying as I will read no further from you)
guigus

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 09:42 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

I will reply to you just this once out of the sheer nonsense that you just did post precisely because you just did finally admit that :

Quote:
nothingness is nothing

...meaning there's no nothing.

(and that's it, you are on my ignore list and will stay there so don't bother replying as I will read no further from you)

It is almost funny how you don't ever think about your own words: by saying "there's no nothing" you have already made "nothing" mean rather "something" (or you could not negate its "existence")---once again, the word "nothing" means no thing, rather than "something" called "nothing." You keep confusing the word with its meaning.

You should by now be able to realize that the only way of escaping the conclusion that being and nothingness are the same is by already presupposing they are the same (as you just did)---and of course promptly forgetting it.

(The sentence "there's no nothing" makes me almost hear the voice of Amy Winehouse: "There is no no being.")
0 Replies

north

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 09:42 pm
@guigus,
guigus wrote:

north wrote:

guigus

Quote:
Well, either you are saying that the word "nothing" does not exist or that whatever it means, which is no thing at all, does not exist. Since the word obviously exists, let us concentrate whatever it means.

If no thing at all does not exist, then everything exists, meaning either that:

your on the wrong track of reasoning here

Quote:
I'm just following the logical consequences of what a word means, namely, "nothing." And that word, "nothing," means no thing, right? So, unless that is not what that word means, I am not only in the right track, but also in the only possible track. Any other track will lead you nowhere.

north wrote:
nothing is about the absence of something

The word "nothing" means the absence of everything: it means no thing. Of course you can restrict its context, by which it will mean the absence of everything in a certain context, which is what you refer by "the absence of something," but this is up to you, and it is optional: the word itself has no restriction.

north wrote:
whereas , no-thing is a discussion about , a thing or things themselves

The word nothing is the negation of all things, even though possibly within a certain context. But any restriction you impose on it will always be arbitrary and accidental: the only necessary and essential meaning of nothing is the negation of all being---no thing. And the only serious way of thinking about a meaning is by disregarding any arbitrary limits imposed on it.

okay lets disregard the limits

so if look in the refridgerator there is nothing and no-thing within it , agreed

but if I'm looking for a tomato and its not there , is it an object of nothing in the fridge or a no-thing ?
Cyracuz

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 10:12 am
Does nothing exist? -Yes.... Erm... wait... what? That makes no sense...

Does nothing exist? -No... Erm... wait... what? That makes no sense either....

Good philosophy.. Wink