Attention logicians. Facts are constructions!

north

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 01:12 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

What I understand is that you have not read any of the preamble to my comments, nor the published references to which they refer. We can all play at kibbitzing, or mouthing off at what the manager of the football team should have done.

no

my point is , is that , facts are real plain and simple

the posts are not numbered here ( I hope the site corrects this ) so I'm not going to go back and find them

give a better example of what your getting at

jeeprs

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 03:54 am
I am reminded of Ernest Hemingway's criticism of Jack Kerouac.

'That's not writing, that's typing".
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 05:55 am
@fresco,
Incidentally I was looking at the Wikipedia entry for 'Objectivity' and I noticed that the initial paragraph presents the Kantian interpretation as the standard:

Quote:
Objectivity is both a central and elusive philosophical category. While there is no universally accepted articulation of objectivity, a proposition is generally considered to be objectively true when its truth conditions are "mind-independent"—that is, not the result of any judgments made by a conscious entity or subject. Contrary to this, most recent philosophers, since the Critique of Pure Reason by Immanuel Kant, have concluded that scientific knowledge is systematic knowledge of the nature of existing things as we perceive them, rather than as they are in themselves.

I am not citing Wikipedia as an authority, but it does say that this definition is said to be favoured over the idea of the 'mind-independent reality' in current philosophy.
fresco

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 06:41 am
@jeeprs,
Yes, I think the Wiki definition constitutes an acceptable compromise for those who would hold on to their "scientific" hats. The problem is of course that "the perceptual system" is being studied by "the perceptual system"! Short of the simplistic metaphor of diamonds being used to cut other diamonds I think this is a quagmire. As one my references puts it, in normal "science" a standard independent observer is assumed as a reference frame, but with the observation of observation, this can no longer be axiomatic.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 06:44 am
@north,
Quote:
facts are real plain and simple

And if you add the word "discuss" to that one liner, you've got a standard first essay title in Philosophy 101, which tells the prof who has been bothered to do any preparatory reading.
0 Replies

Arjuna

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 08:53 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

"Existence" always involves relationship. Some "things" are " solid" because their "atomic structure" cannot pass though an observer's "atomic structure" (unlike the "things" we call "cosmic rays"), but unless there is an observer to experience the "passing through" or otherwise, the concept of "solidity" is meaningless. And a similar argument stands for "visibility" and "audibility" etc. For this reason we can make no statements at all about the nature of a universe without observers. Naive realists who do, forget that THEY are still observing "IT" in their mind's eye.
Meaning is the crux of the matter. Pun intended. You sound like you'd be a Heidegger fan. His proposal for the foundation of our idea of atomic structure: the unchanging core (nucleus) vs the transient, temporal expression (the shells)... it's fascinating.
fresco

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 09:07 am
@Arjuna,
I certainly commune with aspects of Heidegger's ontology and epistemology. His dalliance with the Nazis, however, suggests we handle with caution.
Arjuna

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 09:11 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

I certainly commune with aspects of Heidegger's ontology and epistemology. His dalliance with the Nazis, however, suggests we handle with caution.
Yes, I respect that. But I say that anybody who becomes a Nazi from reading Heidegger was in that state of becoming in the first place. Very Happy
fresco

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 09:18 am
@Arjuna,
Good point !
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 10:38 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

No, "observation" is a verbal accompaniment to a two way inter-relational process between what we call "observer" and "observed". The word "self" can be evoked as " observer", but during most interactions which proceed without description neither the "self" nor "things" have ontological status.
For those who don't understand this idea, let them count on the fingers of one hand how many times they were aware of "self" pushing "brake pedal" last time they "drove a car". Indeed, let them consider the status of "car" when they make "observations" such as "I turned the corner".

Incredible. So what, then, has ontological status? Nothing exists?

Hint: You don't need to use any of those quotations, and usually when one presses a brake pedal, they're aware they pressed a brake pedal. And if you're not aware of the things you are doing while driving a car, I don't think you should be driving a car. Take to walking. That way "you" can "walk" "your" "ass" around "town" not endangering the lives of "others".
Huxley

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 12:05 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

You are almost there but not quite... take the argument to its full extent...."things" require "a thinger"!

I'll ask you again, because it's very relevant to the discussion at hand:

How do things become thinged, and how would a thinger thing a thing now?
GoshisDead

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 12:51 pm
@Huxley,
Huxley wrote:

fresco wrote:

You are almost there but not quite... take the argument to its full extent...."things" require "a thinger"!

I'll ask you again, because it's very relevant to the discussion at hand:

How do things become thinged, and how would a thinger thing a thing now?

Its possible that a thinger things a thing in much the way a stuffer stuffs some stuff.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 01:16 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin,

Next time you find your yourself driving down the wrong road because of habit you will know what I mean by the absence of "self".

Huxley,

As a working hypothesis, we need to take language as an a priori for "thinging". Thus the segmentation of "the world" is usually available to the "observer" for those co-ordinative processes we call "thinking". Heidegger gives the example of a man hammering without any awareness (thinking) of a separation of "self" and "hammer" until he hits his thumb say. At that point the "hammer" and "self" becomes separated with a vocalization (internal or external) of the form "damn Hammer" or "Joe (himself) you idiot be more careful" etc. Thus "thinging" occurs when there is a pause in the flow in which relationships are examined and revised. He might even pick up what would in general terms would be called "a brick" so that it functions as a replacement for "hammer",i.e. it is "thinged" as "hammer". Note that the "properties" of "things" are expectations about functional relationships.
They are not aspects of "objects" per se. Obviously the origins of language are significant to this analysis, and this has lead some to speculate that we must search for those in the social domain, hence a leaning towards the concept of a socially structured reality.

(AS AN ASIDE: The working hypothesis about language is similar to the strong form of the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis: "language determines thought". Whorf started off as an insurance claims inspector investigating explosions at fuel dumps. His hypothesis was based on the findings that often cigarette butts were being discarded near the "empty gas drums enclosure", which led him to think about the significance of words like "empty" in terms of observer expectations.)

Zetherin

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 01:25 pm
fresco wrote:
Next time you find your yourself driving down the wrong road because of habit you will know what I mean by the absence of "self".

You mean next time "I" find "myself" driving down the wrong "road" because of habit "I" will know what "you" mean by the absence of "self"?

I am asking you earnestly - if you honestly aren't aware of when you press on a brake pedal, please do not drive a car. I am not saying that sarcastically. I fear for the lives of others.
fresco

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 01:30 pm
@Zetherin,
Okay Zetherin. How about if you report back to us exactly how many times you use the brake pedal tomorrow. Smile
Huxley

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 01:52 pm
@fresco,
GoshisDead wrote:

Its possible that a thinger things a thing in much the way a stuffer stuffs some stuff.

Aaahhh! The light was behind me the whole time, and the world that I that was was nothing but shadows! Very Happy

fresco wrote:

Huxley,

As a working hypothesis, we need to take language as an a priori for "thinging". Thus the segmentation of "the world" is usually available to the "observer" for those co-ordinative processes we call "thinking". Heidegger gives the example of a man hammering without any awareness (thinking) of a separation of "self" and "hammer" until he hits his thumb say. At that point the "hammer" and "self" becomes separated with a vocalization (internal or external) of the form "damn Hammer" or "Joe (himself) you idiot be more careful" etc. Thus "thinging" occurs when there is a pause in the flow in which relationships are examined and revised. He might even pick up what would in general terms would be called "a brick" so that it functions as a replacement for "hammer",i.e. it is "thinged" as "hammer". Note that the "properties" of "things" are expectations about functional relationships.
They are not aspects of "objects" per se. Obviously the origins of language are significant to this analysis, and this has lead some to speculate that we must search for those in the social domain, hence a leaning towards the concept of a socially structured reality.

I think that this explication is a good explanatory model for a number of occurrences, but I don't think you can stay within this sphere to explain everything. I'd say that, with such an explanation, you're lacking an ability to account for unexpected discovery (like tripping on a branch, or something of that nature) -- these are moments when objects take over language. Another difficulty would be explaining the origination of new words.

I agree that a large number of concepts are inherited through culture (with existence attached), and I agree that we often loose ourselves in objects and the objects become mentally absorbed into the subject (or ourselves) -- this would explain why people buy certain things, drive certain cars, hang certain paintings. We identify ourselves with the objects we collect, at least within our culture. Even phenomenologically, as you indicate with the hammer example, this is something we do. I recall experiencing such in many circumstances: when utilizing a tool, or when riding a bike. I never felt that I was "good" at something until that something become an extension of what I was.

But I do think that your hypothesis has some apparent (and this is only my first-go interpretation) internal difficulties. Even if you utilize this metaphor to explain unexpected events, newness, and discovery, you may just be substituting words for the same meaning that the world out-there is (though I won't say that the "is" is a fact, myself), and our ideas are approximations of the out-there. In a sense, then, you'd be agreeing with the opposing side in content while rejecting its formal aspect. I'm not sure if that's exactly what you're going for.
Zetherin

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 02:00 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Okay Zetherin. How about if you report back to us exactly how many times you use the brake pedal tomorrow. Smile

Suppose I don't remember each and every time I use the brake pedal tomorrow. What does that show? You think it shows that, when I pressed on the brake pedal, I wasn't aware of it? Well, that's certainly not what it shows. I am fully aware that I am typing right now, but I haven't counted how many keys I have pressed thus far. I am fully aware when I cash my check every two weeks, but I can't tell you off the top of my head exactly how many times I've been to the bank to do said thing.

If anything, what you point out would show that I do not have a good memory (maybe). But it wouldn't show that I am not aware of my actions.
fresco

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 03:22 pm
@Huxley,
Huxley,

I would be a fool to think any model was watertight. However I did cover "unexpected events" by the concept of "interruptions to the flow". Don't confuse the negation of objectivity with solipsism. Notice by the way that our first observations/ vocalizations of the unexpected are often of the form "what the heck was that" often addressed to empty air!

I would also point out that I am not completely sold on language as the starting point for discussing ontology. I am also interested in Maturana's view of "cognition" as another name for the general life process, with language as "no big deal". However, to get into that one needs to shed concepts of sense data and visualize the "observer realm" as an epiphenomenon of a systems theoretic approach to nested organization( cell, organ,body,society etc)..

I think what is important in an era when traditional concepts of reality have been shattered by physics is that philosophers pay heed to the shifting sands. Nothing is sacred, whether it be "truth", "time" or the anthropocentric spectacles through which we usually interpret existence.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 03:37 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin,

I suggest you are no more aware of the brake pedal during the "flow of driving" than you are are of breathing or blinking. "Awareness" comes when the flow is interrupted. Indeed psychologists argue that conscious awareness of automatic processes would cause "information overload" and impede the flow.
Think of cycling as another example. You are not going to argue that you are consciously aware of the feedback loop we use to keep our balance are you ?

The point is "the self" is absent from the flow much of the time, and so it should be from an evolutionary perspective. Some find this worrying!
Zetherin

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 03:40 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Zetherin,

I suggest you are no more aware of the brake pedal during the "flow of driving" than you are are of breathing or blinking. "Awareness" comes when the flow is interrupted. Indeed psychologists argue that conscious awareness of automatic processes would cause "information overload" and impede the flow.
Think of cycling as another example. You are not going to argue that you are consciously aware of the feedback loop we use to keep our balance are you ?

The point is "the self" is absent from the flow much of the time, and so it should be from an evolutionary perspective. Some find this worrying!

The point is that, while we are not aware of everything we do, we are aware of many things we do. But you already knew that. I'm just reminding you.

"The work of the philosopher consists in assembling reminders for a particular purpose" - Wittgenstein
0 Replies