Attention logicians. Facts are constructions!

fresco

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 06:58 am
@jeeprs,
I think you grasp part of the point about "construction", which is that "objects" are objects of "consciousness", i.e. segmentations of "the world" which have no ontological status in their own right. But a major point is that " observation" of "objects" is active not passive. We don't walk around categorizing objects, like trees, rocks or police cars etc unless and until they have functionality in particular instants. (Heidegger's term was Zuhanden). We can say that "objects" are "brought forth" as we need them, and that includes the bringing forth of a "conscious self" as the "needer".
It is the reporting of such "bringings forth" which constiutes what we call "facts".
This is not to say that an individual " perceptual system" does not respond automatically to "sensory signals", but that the classification of such signals as sense data (including their suppression) is mediated by consciousness which in turn has been conditioned through human needs which are predominantly encapsulated by language.

It is as though both the modern concept of sensory signals impinging on particular functional networks is partnered by the ancient idea of the senses "actively putting out feelers". Kant's term "perceptual a priori s" could be interpreted in either direction.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 07:11 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

I may be in a loop because it is a loop. Can you prove there is something independent of your mind without making a loop? I have yet to see you do it.

I don't have to prove a thing. It is up to you to give me any good reason to think that objects are not mind-independent. After all, the initial probability (to use Baysean language) is that they are, since they don't vanish when we are not observing them, and we know that objects existed before people existed, and it is pretty certain that the Moon, for instance will go on existing after there are no longer any people left. Have you any (good) reason to believe differently? Or even that the reasons I just gave are not decisive?
fresco

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 07:31 am
@kennethamy,
Smile
You don't get it Ken ! Objectification is "mind dependent" by definition.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 07:32 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

I think you grasp part of the point about "construction", which is that "objects" are objects of "consciousness", i.e. segmentations of "the world" which have no ontological status in their own right. But a major point is that " observation" of "objects" is active not passive. We don't walk around categorizing objects, like trees, rocks or police cars etc unless and until they have functionality in particular instants. (Heidegger's term was Zuhanden). We can say that "objects" are "brought forth" as we need them, and that includes the bringing forth of a "conscious self" as the "needer".
It is the reporting of such "bringings forth" which constiutes what we call "facts".
This is not to say that an individual " perceptual system" does not respond automatically to "sensory signals", but that the classification of such signals as sense data (including their suppression) is mediated by consciousness which in turn has been conditioned through human needs which are predominantly encapsulated by language.

It is as though both the modern concept of sensory signals impinging on particular functional networks is partnered by the ancient idea of the senses "actively putting out feelers". Kant's term "perceptual a priori s" could be interpreted in either direction.

Apparently (and it is hard to tell since you talk in this peculiar language , I call philosophese, you believe that how we understand what happens depends partly on our own background beliefs, and our sensory faculties. No one in his right mind denies that. It is a truism. But what has that to do with the nature of what happens, the facts, and whether we have methods for reducing, or even eliminating, the influences of the factors that come between us and our knowledge of the facts. Nothing much that I can see. We all have our own personal histories, and those views we are born with, but we all are capable of agreeing that water is composed of hydrogen and oxygen, and, if that is a bit too sophisticated, that many nights there is in the sky, a shining object we variously call, "la lune" or , "the Moon". That there is some variation in our beliefs about things depending on who we are, and where we come from, and other such factors, is no reason to believe that there cannot be a broadly-based and warranted agreement. It is fallacious to let the second be obscured by the first. Science agrees on many more things than are disagreed with. Let's not go overboard with Kant. Let him swim Or more likely, drown) alone., so that we do not drown in the Obscurantist Sea with him.
fresco

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 07:41 am
@kennethamy,
Quote:
Science agrees on many more things than are disagreed with. Lets not go overboard with Kant. Let him swim alone.

Of course there is paradigmatic "agreement" because scientists have common physiologies, common needs, and the common metalanguage of mathematics. But the very nature of what we call science is that of shifting paradigms. It is totally futile to talk about the "truth" of a particular explanatory model. All we mean by that is that most of its predictions appear to be valid for a time but that its functional veracity is likely to be delimited or superceded.

Kant is important because he clearly put forth the point that there can be no facts independent of the activities of observers.
kennethamy

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 07:54 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Quote:

Kant is important because he clearly put forth the point that there can be no facts independent of the activities of observers.

He may have put that forth, but if he did, it is simply false. Clearly, our beliefs about what facts are, are depended on the observer. But is does not follow from that, nor is there any reason to believe, that the facts are dependent of the observer. You, like so many other posters, systematically confuse beliefs about the facts with the facts, and the existence of facts. Different people, at different times, may, for different causes, have different beliefs, about the same facts. What you mean by "paradigmatic" agreement, I am not sure. It sound like something out of Kuhn. But what makes you think that there is something fishy about "paradigmatic agreement"? Can't paradigmatic agreement, whatever it means, be a good reason (what better reason could there be?) for thinking that what is paradigmatically agreed about is true? After all, there probably is a good reason there is agreement, paradigmatic or not, about whether ice is cold, and water of wet. Namely, that it is true that ice is cold, and water is wet.
jeeprs

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:04 am
I think the belief in 'mind-independent reality' is a religious belief.

Science reveals that perception, while subjectively appearing to exist as a steady continuum, comprises a hierarchical matrix of millions of interacting cellular transactions, commencing with the parasympathetic system, up through various levels to culminate in that peculiarly human ability of conscious thought.

So it is important to realise that the naïve sense in which we understand ourselves, and the objects of our perception, to exist, is in fact dependent upon the constructive activities of our consciousness. We know nothing about anything that might exist outside this matrix.

When you perceive something - large, small, alive or inanimate, local or remote - there is a considerable amount of work involved in ‘creating’ an object from the raw material of perception. Your eyes receive the lightwaves reflected or emanated from it, your mind organises the image with regards to all of the other stimuli impacting your senses at that moment – either acknowledging it, or ignoring it, depending on how busy you are; your memory will then compare it to other objects you have seen, from whence you will recall its name, and perhaps know something about it ('star', 'tree', 'frog', etc).

And you will do all of this without you even noticing that you are doing it; it is largely unconscious.

In other words, your consciousness is not the passive recipient of sensory objects which exist irrespective of your perception of them. Instead, your consciousness is an active agent which constructs reality partially on the basis of sensory input, but also on the basis of an enormous number of unconscious processes, memories, intentions, and so on.
kennethamy

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:15 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

fresco wrote:

Quote:

He may have put that forth, but if he did, it is simply false. Clearly, our beliefs about what facts are, are depended on the observer. But is does not follow from that, nor is there any reason to believe, that the facts are dependent of the observer. You, like so many other posters, systematically confuse beliefs about the facts with the facts, and the existence of facts. Different people, at different times, may, for different causes, have different beliefs, about the same facts. What you mean by "paradigmatic" agreement, I am not sure. It sound like something out of Kuhn. But what makes you think that there is something fishy about "paradigmatic agreement"? Can't paradigmatic agreement, whatever it means, be a good reason (what better reason could there be?) for thinking that what is paradigmatically agreed about is true? After all, there probably is a good reason there is agreement, paradigmatic or not, about whether ice is cold, and water of wet. Namely, that it is true that ice is cold, and water is wet. Apparently, you believe that the best explanation for why the facts are as they are because we agree they are, but that is exactly backwards. The best explanation for why we agree as we do, is that the fact are as they are.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:20 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

I think the belief in 'mind-independent reality' is a religious belief.

In that case we finally have the long sought-after conciliation of religion and science, for mind-independent reality is not only a scientific belief, but it is one that is supported by science. It is science that supports the belief that the Moon existed before minds existed, after all. And that the Moon will continue to exists after people vanish.

jeeprs

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:26 am
@kennethamy,
But you have not responded to my proposition. I explicitly addressed that objection.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:58 am
@kennethamy,
Quote:
Namely, that it is true that ice is cold, and water is wet.

Rolling Eyes
So ice is "cold" for seals and water is "wet" for fish ?
....and "the moon" is a "a big thing in the sky" for ants ?...etc,etc.
kennethamy

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 09:23 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Quote:
Namely, that it is true that ice is cold, and water is wet.

Rolling Eyes
So ice is "cold" for seals and water is "wet" for fish ?
....and "the moon" is a "a big thing in the sky" for ants ?...etc,etc.

Well certainly, although seals may not feel cold (or as cold as we do) and fish may not perceive the wetness of water. I would not know, since I am neither a seal nor a fish. Of course fish and seals do not have the concepts of wetness or cold (and neither has the ant the requisite concept) but the question was not, after all, whether seals feel cold, or fish perceive wetness. The question is whether ice is cold, or water wet. Unless you distinguish question, you apt not to know what you are asking. Is water H2O for little infants? Of course not! Is water H2O? Of course it is!
fast

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 09:37 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

I know very well what I meant and we have been round and round with this sort of thing. You say that there are independent things, I say there are independent things. You say the independent things are the facts. I say the facts are descriptions of the independent things.

I too say that there are independent things--independent of the mind, that is. I saw a rock on the ground, and the rock is a thing, and it's a mind-independent thing (in other words, the existence of the rock is not dependent on the mind), and though it's a fact that there is a rock on the ground, I do not think that the rock is a fact. I think it's an object (or thing, if you prefer).

There seems to be no question between us as to whether or not things (or objects) like the rock (that is on the ground) are mind-dependent (we agree that they are not), but because you say facts are descriptions, and since descriptions are mind-dependent, you think facts are mind-dependent. For example, you think the fact that the rock is on the ground is mind-dependent. That the rock is on the ground, of course, is not mind-dependent, but we’re talking about the fact that the rock is on the ground. There is a difference between my describing what is the case and that which is being described. I wonder why you think that a fact is the description and not what’s being described.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 09:46 am
@fresco,
Good luck fresco. Many people have traveled this path, and they find themselves in an endless loop of frustration. I agree with you totally, but have nothing to say on this topic. I have written a paper on the topic, and I have watched philosophy professors waste way too much time on something so insignificant. I have also watched friends become rabid enemies due to the frustration with one another arguing about whether or not facts are constructions.

There are things, and there are things about things. People always forget that things about things are not the things in themselves.
fresco

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 09:51 am
@kennethamy,
Quote:
Well certainly, although seals may not feel cold (or as cold as we do) and fish may not perceive the wetness of water. I would not know, since I am neither a seal nor a fish. Of course fish and seals do not have the concepts of wetness or cold (and neither has the ant the requisite concept) but the question was not, after all, whether seals feel cold, or fish perceive wetness. The question is whether ice is cold, or water wet. Unless you distinguish question, you apt not to know what you are asking. Is water H2O for little infants? Of course not! Is water H2O? Of course it is!

So just remind us of what "is" means..?

0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 09:57 am
@Theaetetus,
I agree that it insignificant in the normal praxis of living, but the really interesting stuff...the delving into the meaning of "consciousness", or the frontier work in physics and biology, demands that we shed mundane notions of "objectivity" and "truth".
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 10:03 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

GoshisDead wrote:

I may be in a loop because it is a loop. Can you prove there is something independent of your mind without making a loop? I have yet to see you do it.

I don't have to prove a thing. It is up to you to give me any good reason to think that objects are not mind-independent. After all, the initial probability (to use Baysean language) is that they are, since they don't vanish when we are not observing them, and we know that objects existed before people existed, and it is pretty certain that the Moon, for instance will go on existing after there are no longer any people left. Have you any (good) reason to believe differently? Or even that the reasons I just gave are not decisive?

And you know they don't vanish when you aren't observing them how? You know objects existed before you did how? And aside from their existing, which I already said that I assume that they do, the commentary was that existence is not the fact the description is the fact, and cannot be done without interpretation, making the fact of their existence subjective not objective.
Huxley

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 11:59 am
I generally think that objects exist independent of my mind because I think it's the best explanation for being wrong in my predictions despite having a logically valid system of explanation, and it explains discovery. So, through inference to the best explanation rather than deductive proof.

I'm more comfortable with stating things-in-themselves than stating that the world out-there is a land of facts, however. I'm not entirely convinced of things-in-themselves in the Kantian sense, but I think I have to acknowledge that there is at least some of me in the things I see. Perception is a mental process, and not everything we know comes from our experiences. (though this isn't to say that I control what that some of me is, or that I control the things I see, or I even know what fraction of me is present in objects -- I think all of these would require knowledge of the world out-there to state in a definitive way, or at least a decent argument; I don't have that argument)
0 Replies

Huxley

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 12:12 pm
EDIT: Well... I shouldn't say "experiences". I should say not everything we know comes from our senses/sensation. Experience is bigger than that.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 12:21 pm
@GoshisDead,
Goshisdead wrote:
And you know they don't vanish when you aren't observing them how? You know objects existed before you did how?

You really think your wife vanishes when you stop looking at her? And we have lots of evidence that supports objects existing before we did. How is that is even a question? If objects did not exist before we did, how were you born onto the earth? Don't you think the earth had to be here before you were born onto it? Or, did the earth just appear out of thin air the moment you were conceived?

I'm still flabbergasted when I hear this stuff.

jeeprs wrote:
Instead, your consciousness is an active agent which constructs reality partially on the basis of sensory input, but also on the basis of an enormous number of unconscious processes, memories, intentions, and so on.

Our consciousness perceives reality. That sensory input - guess what it allows us sense? Things in the world! You know, things that are part of reality. Strange, huh?

And no, you haven't addressed kennethamy's claim about science. At least not in the post I just quoted from.