Attention logicians. Facts are constructions!

Zetherin

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 05:04 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:
Religious beliefs are usually concerned with permanence of an entity separate from the believer, because belief is essentially prediction. Whether this entity is an unchanging "God" or an unchanging "world" it is antithetical to the "certain knowledge" that all is "in flux". Even what we call "rocks" decay over time, so any concept of permanence is relative to our own life-span - a triviality on the cosmic scale! And once we admit a "relativity factor" we admit to the co-existence and co-extension of "self" and "world", as surely as "up" is related to "down".

Actually, as far as I know, religious beliefs are concerned with religion.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 05:06 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

My take is that since the middle of the 19th Century, the belief in the supremacy of the objective realm has been substituted for the belief in God. The objective realm is held to be sole reality, about which more and more is gradually being disclosed by science. This is why the questioning of objectivity is 'frightening' - it's frightening because the so-called mind independent reality is, at the very least, a placeholder for 'the truth'. This fear is what philosopher Richard Bernstein calls the Cartesian Anxiety.

Quote:
Cartesian anxiety refers to the notion that, ever since René Descartes promulgated his highly influential form of body-mind dualism, Western civilization has suffered from a longing for ontological certainty, or feeling that scientific methods, and especially the study of the world as a thing separate from ourselves, should be able to lead us to a firm and unchanging knowledge of ourselves and the world around us. The term is named after Descartes because of his well-known emphasis on "mind" as different from "body", "self" as different from "other".
Richard Bernstein, Beyond Objectivism and Relativism: Science, Hermeneutics, and Praxis.

Believing in an objective world has nothing to do with believing in God. There is evidence of an objective world, and so that is why reasonable people believe there is an objective world. Sheesh. *facepalm*
fresco

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 05:09 pm
@jeeprs,
(Even more interesting ...a google search on "Cartesian Anxiety" references Varela ( a co-worker of Maturana) with respect to the concept of "the embodied mind".)
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 05:14 pm
@Zetherin,
Philosophy is concerned with understanding the nature of experience, the nature of knowledge, the human situation in the world. 'Taking the world at face value', or naive realism, is really a pre-philosophical attitude, in my view. Given that the world is as it appears, within that context, all kinds of evidence can be found for all kinds of phenomena, which is the arena within which science operates. But asking yourself 'why do we see things this way? How is it that our minds and senses operate together to create the panorama of conscious awareness'? is the arena of philosophy. If you don't recognise the distinction, then philosophy becomes, as most analytical philosophers insist, merely 'talking about talking', and of little consequence.
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 05:17 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

You're forgetting the third condition, X being true. You can believe and have justification for X, but if X is not true, you do not know X.
quote]

First of all getting used to this new quote system is a pain.

now onto the show

The third condition is also a variable. Truth is predicated on the pre-defined acceptable evidence for belief and justification. One will automatically deem something untrue and unjustifable if it does not meet specific pre-defined axiomatic criteria thus making truth finding a specualtive thing at best.

Zetherin wrote:

First off, let us not confuse contraries with contradictions. If you believed I was in Oklahoma right now, and I believed I was not in Oklahoma right now, we would be holding contradictory beliefs. One belief would be true and one belief would be false, no matter the difference in justification. Even if we both had justification for each of our beliefs, only one of us knew. The other only thought they knew (because, again, to know X, it is necessary that X is true).

But things are different when we speak of contraries, because if two things are contrary, both can be false. For instance, a pair of contrary propositions would be "Zetherin is in Oklahoma" and "Zetherin is in Pennsylvania". If you believed the former, and I believed the ladder, we could both be wrong. I could, for instance, be in New Jersey. And that's why these are contrary propositions and not contradictory propositions. But what is most important here to note is that we could not both be right if we held contrary beliefs. Two propositions are contrary if both cannot be true but both can be false.

excuse my bad use of contrary
to answer that let me quote from Rosencrantz and guildenstern are Dead.

Rosencrantz: I don't believe in it anyway.
Guildenstern: What?
Rosencrantz: England.
Guildenstern: Just a conspiracy of cartographers, then?

0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 05:19 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin,

You seem to delight in vacuous tautologies. ("religion is about religion" etc).

And believers in "God" argue that there is plenty of "evidence" for those who will "open their eyes". The issue is that atheists don't accept their "evidence" .
Arjuna

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 05:30 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

Believing in an objective world has nothing to do with believing in God. There is evidence of an objective world, and so that is why reasonable people believe there is an objective world. Sheesh. *facepalm*
Hi Zetherin!

Meaning is constructed by your mind.

A statement of fact is meaningful.

Therefore a statement of fact is constructed by your mind.
Zetherin

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 07:23 pm
@Arjuna,
But a statement of fact, and a fact, are two different things. A fact is what is the case in the world ie. a truth-maker. Statements and propositions are truth-bearers, or, as we may say, expressions of facts. Of course, I understand that some believe facts are truth-bearers, not truth-makers. But that doesn't really matter here - the point is that the expression of what is true, and what is true, are two different things. And, for some reason, people confuse our expression of what is true with what is true.

Suppose the elephant is in the zoo. "The elephant is in the zoo" is a statement of fact, a proposition. But there is a state of affairs which exists that is what makes this proposition true. And this state of affairs exists regardless if we ever express, believe, or have justification for this state of affairs.

Goshisdead wrote:
Truth is predicated on the pre-defined acceptable evidence for belief and justification.

No, what is true is not predicated on our beliefs or justification. What is true is true, no matter if we believe it to be true or have justification for it being true.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 07:35 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Zetherin,

And believers in "God" argue that there is plenty of "evidence" for those who will "open their eyes". The issue is that atheists don't accept their "evidence" .

And you seem to say things which are so obviously false. This has nothing to do with religion. You can't just go around saying every belief which relates to something being permanent (really, I don't even quite understand what you mean), is a religious belief. That would include thousands of beliefs; dozens of disciplines involve the belief that the world is an entity separate from the believer.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 07:42 pm
fresco wrote:
Religious beliefs are usually concerned with permanence of an entity separate from the believer, because belief is essentially prediction. Whether this entity is an unchanging "God" or an unchanging "world" it is antithetical to the "certain knowledge" that all is "in flux". Even what we call "rocks" decay over time, so any concept of permanence is relative to our own life-span - a triviality on the cosmic scale! And once we admit a "relativity factor" we admit to the co-existence and co-extension of "self" and "world", as surely as "up" is related to "down"

It's hard to understand even what you mean here, but I'm pretty certain there's no good reason in here to think my belief that there is an objective world is a religious belief.
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 07:45 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Zetherin,

apparently truth is truth with no explanation as well
TuringEquivalent

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 07:45 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Have our new friends immersed in logical analysis on recent threads considered the etymology of the word "fact" from the Latin facere (similar to French faire) to make or to do? Does this not undermine concepts of "objectivity" and suggest that our picture of "the world" is "brought forth" by observer activity ?

Come on! You expect to do philosophy by looking up a dictionary?
Zetherin

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 07:47 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

fresco wrote:

Zetherin,

apparently truth is truth with no explanation as well

So, suppose humans did not exist any longer. Nothing would be true anymore?

"The moon exists", like many other propositions, would still be true, no matter if we were ever here to express it.
ughaibu

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:04 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
"The moon exists", like many other propositions, would still be true, no matter if we were ever here to express it.
Consider the case that there is nobody who can express some proposition, in what sense does that proposition exist?
Theaetetus

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:20 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

So, suppose humans did not exist any longer. Nothing would be true anymore?

Nothing would be true for humans, because they wouldn't exist anymore. Truth is irrelevant without an observer, because it has to do with value, and it takes a subject for there to be a value judgment made. The thing we call the moon would still exist, but "the moon exists" wouldn't be true or false--it just wouldn't be. It would take a new species to observe the moon for it to exist in the sense that we mean when we say "the moon exists."
Zetherin

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:22 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu wrote:

Zetherin wrote:
Consider the case that there is nobody who can express some proposition, in what sense does that proposition exist?

Well, the proposition would still be true, which means, the truth-maker (that which makes the proposition true) would still exist independent of our expression of it. For instance, the state of affairs which makes "The moon exists" true, would still exist regardless if we were able to express it.

I believe propositions existing independent of humans is arguable (in fact, I was just reading an article regarding it), and at this moment I do not have a comment on that (but I am leaning to the side that they would still exist). But what I do know is that truth-makers can exist independent of the mind. And, so, when I say the proposition "The moon exists" would still be true regardless of our expression, I mean that that state of affairs exists mind-independently. In other words, I believe there is an objective, mind-independent world.
Zetherin

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:24 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus wrote:
Nothing would be true for humans, because they wouldn't exist anymore. Truth is irrelevant without an observer, because it has to do with value, and it takes a subject for there to be a value judgment made. The thing we call the moon would still exist, but "the moon exists" wouldn't be true or false--it just wouldn't be. It would take a new species to observe the moon for it to exist in the sense that we mean when we say "the moon exists."

I don't see how it wouldn't be true, unless one denies that there is an objective world, or, I suppose, that propositions cannot exist without humans. There is a reality that exists independent of our mind.
0 Replies

ughaibu

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:27 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
Well, the proposition would still be true, which means, the truth-maker (that which makes the proposition true) would still exist independent of our expression of it. For instance, the state of affairs which makes "The moon exists" true, would still exist regardless if we were able to express it.
The proposition wouldn't be true, as far as I can see, unless it existed, and if there is nobody to make the proposition, in what sense does it exist? That there is a state of affairs, which would make a proposition true, doesn't imply that there is a proposition.
Zetherin

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:30 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu wrote:

Zetherin wrote:
The proposition wouldn't be true, as far as I can see, unless it existed, and if there is nobody to make the proposition, in what sense does it exist? That there is a state of affairs, which would make a proposition true, doesn't imply that there is a proposition.

Yes, I assumed that proposition X would exist no matter if there was anyone to express proposition X (As noted, that is the side I'm leaning towards. But, as of the moment, I'm not going to argue either way. I'm currently researching and thinking). I understand that because there is a state of affairs, that doesn't imply that there is a proposition.

And propositions would exist in the same sense. There is only one sense something can exist in that I know of. What other senses are you referring to?
ughaibu

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:35 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
And propositions would exist in the same sense. There is only one sense something can exist in that I know of. What other senses are you referring to?
The existence of mental objects is quite different from the existence of physical objects, but both are reasonably easy to characterise (I think), however, I've no real idea what people mean when they talk about the existence of propositions when there is no agent who can propose.