Attention logicians. Facts are constructions!

Zetherin

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:41 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu wrote:

Zetherin wrote:
And propositions would exist in the same sense. There is only one sense something can exist in that I know of. What other senses are you referring to?
The existence of mental objects is quite different from the existence of physical objects, but both are reasonably easy to characterise (I think), however, I've no real idea what people mean when they talk about the existence of propositions when there is no agent who can propose.

Mental objects and physical objects exist in the same sense. An idea and a chair, while different in many ways, exist in the same way, as there is only one way to exist. That two objects are different, doesn't mean that they exist differently.

But in regards to our proposition conversation: do you think abstract objects, such as the number three, exist if there is no agent to express them?
ughaibu

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:51 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
An idea and a chair, while different in many ways, exist in the same way, as there is only one way to exist.
I see no reason to believe that, in fact, I think it's obviously false. Mental objects can be self contradictory yet exist, physical objects cant, so the existence of members of these two classes is not the same thing.
Zetherin wrote:
do you think abstract objects, such as the number three, exist if there is no agent to express them?
No.
Zetherin

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:54 pm
@ughaibu,
Can you please provide specific examples? One from each class that best supports your belief that they exist differently. Thanks.
ughaibu

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 09:10 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
Can you please provide specific examples? One from each class that best supports your belief that they exist differently. Thanks.
If I tell you that there exists something self contradictory, for example, a number smaller than itself, presumably you will tell me that this is impossible because the concept is self contradictory. This reduces to a statement that existence is precluded by the property of being self contradictory, which is true for physical objects.
1) there is no physical object which is self contradictory
2) self contradictoriness precludes physical existence
3) physical existence is, partly, defined by lack of self contadictoriness
4) there is a mental object which is self contradictory: a number smaller than itself
5) therefore there exists at least one mental object which is self contradictory
6) therefore mental existence is not defined by lack of self contradictoriness
7) physical and mental existences have different defining features
8) therefore physical and mental existences are not the same existences.
jeeprs

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 09:18 pm
I am inclined to say that the use of the word 'object' in cases such as 'mental object' is metaphorical at best. I don't think that 'mental objects' exist; use of the term is a way of speaking. But again, 'object' is one of those terms whose meaning seems obvious until you attempt to define it.

As regards the moon (or anything else) existing in the absence of an observer, don't fall into the trap of believing that idealism necessarily implies that things which are not observed do not exist. Moore once remarked that if such idealism were true, the railway carriage would have no wheels when you sat in it. I don't think this is the meaning at all. The point is that reality is perceived by us; from this you might infer that in the absence of perception, it just carries on, an empty earth in an empty sky, or alternatively (and more fantastically), it just ceases to exist. But both those are also a construction, an image in your mind's eye, and from a particular viewpoint, again. Time and space themselves are brought to the picture by the observing agent, and we can never be outside of them to see it from no viewpoint, in no time, and in no location. We can infer this viewpoint, that is all.

So this does not mean that the object does not exist prior to our perception of it; it means that what we know is our concept of the object. But our concept of the object is not in itself another object; you can't make your consciousness of reality another object in its own right. and form an image of the world 'existing in our minds'. About this point, W. Teed Rockwell says
Quote:
Because Cartesian Materialism says the mind is the brain, it requires us to assume that the only way that the mind can have experience of the world is to somehow get the world inside the brain. Because this is clearly impossible, what with the world being so big and the brain being so small, it is very hard to avoid concluding that knowledge is impossible.

So I do realise that this is a deep philosophical problem. I don't claim to have an answer or a solution, but am challenging the attitude that our 'experience of the world' is the bedrock from which all philosophy must proceed. I think philosophy really starts with an analysis of the nature of the experience of the world, but it is difficult.
Arjuna

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 09:28 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

In other words, I believe there is an objective, mind-independent world.
Everybody believes that. Even if they say they don't... their actions will demonstrate otherwise.

I tell my friend to jump up to the top of a nearby oak tree. He says: I can't. He just proved he doesn't believe the world is created by his mind. If he did, he'd say: no, I don't want to.

Yet... could the moon exist independent of consciousness? You can believe it till the cows come home... you can't prove it.

This is a true statement: multiquoting was convenient. Can we do that here?
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 09:32 pm
@jeeprs,
Just to comment on at least some of your post, I do not think the mind is the brain. I believe the brain is required for a mind to exist, but they are certainly different things.

jeeprs wrote:
We can infer this viewpoint, that is all.

Yes, but that doesn't mean we don't have good reason to believe there is an objective world. I think that the relativist does not understand the distinction between matters of fact and matters of opinion. They think everything is a matter of opinion, "what is true for you, may not be true for me".
Zetherin

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 09:34 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu wrote:

Zetherin wrote:
If I tell you that there exists something self contradictory, for example, a number smaller than itself, presumably you will tell me that this is impossible because the concept is self contradictory. This reduces to a statement that existence is precluded by the property of being self contradictory, which is true for physical objects.
1) there is no physical object which is self contradictory
2) self contradictoriness precludes physical existence
3) physical existence is, partly, defined by lack of self contadictoriness
4) there is a mental object which is self contradictory: a number smaller than itself
5) therefore there exists at least one mental object which is self contradictory
6) therefore mental existence is not defined by lack of self contradictoriness
7) physical and mental existences have different defining features
8) therefore physical and mental existences are not the same existences.

Thank you for that. I will write a response to you soon.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 09:59 pm
@Zetherin,
Quote:

Yes, but that doesn't mean we don't have good reason to believe there is an objective world. I think that the relativist does not understand the distinction between matters of fact and matters of opinion. They think everything is a matter of opinion, "what is true for you, may not be true for me".

In fact, the commitment to 'objectivity' is the cause of relativism. I mean, moral relativism is entirely the product of a secular philosophy, is it not? Why? Because in such an environment, there can be no moral absolutes, or 'ethical imperatives'. There is no ethical law recognized by science, is there? What is 'really there?' What is 'objectively true'? Ask a thousand people, and that is how many answers you will get. You - actually we - are clutching at straws.
GoshisDead

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 10:30 pm
@jeeprs,
Nice Jeep, finally something I haven't thought of before. I love it when that happens.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 11:04 pm
@Theaetetus,
Quote:
Nothing would be true for humans, because they wouldn't exist anymore. Truth is irrelevant without an observer, because it has to do with value, and it takes a subject for there to be a value judgment made. The thing we call the moon would still exist, but "the moon exists" wouldn't be true or false--it just wouldn't be. It would take a new species to observe the moon for it to exist in the sense that we mean when we say "the moon exists."
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 11:19 pm
@Theaetetus,
Quote:
Nothing would be true for humans, because they wouldn't exist anymore. Truth is irrelevant without an observer, because it has to do with value, and it takes a subject for there to be a value judgment made. The thing we call the moon would still exist, but "the moon exists" wouldn't be true or false--it just wouldn't be. It would take a new species to observe the moon for it to exist in the sense that we mean when we say "the moon exists."

You are almost there but not quite... take the argument to its full extent...."things" require "a thinger"!
"Existence" always involves relationship. Some "things" are " solid" because their "atomic structure" cannot pass though an observer's "atomic structure" (unlike the "things" we call "cosmic rays"), but unless there is an observer to experience the "passing through" or otherwise, the concept of "solidity" is meaningless. And a similar argument stands for "visibility" and "audibility" etc. For this reason we can make no statements at all about the nature of a universe without observers. Naive realists who do, forget that THEY are still observing "IT" in their mind's eye.

fresco

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 11:49 pm
@fresco,
...I should add that statements about "history of the universe" and "future of the universe" involve a covert hypothetical "standardized" human observer.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 11:59 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
Turingequivalent wrote

Quote:
Come on! You expect to do philosophy by looking up a dictionary?

Von Glasersfeld writes

Quote:
If one considers that the English word "representation", it is used to designate several different concepts, two among which are designated in German by the two words Darstellung and Vorstellung. The first comes to the mind of English-speakers whenever there is no explicit indication that another is intended. This concept is close to the notion of "picture" and as such involves the replication, in a physical or formal way, of something else that is categorized as "original". The second concept is close to the notion of "conceptual construct", and the German word for it, Vorstellung, is central in the philosophies of Kant and Schopenhauer.
....and to the philosophies of Vico, Piaget, Rorty and fresco !
0 Replies

north

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 12:00 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Have our new friends immersed in logical analysis on recent threads considered the etymology of the word "fact" from the Latin facere (similar to French faire) to make or to do? Does this not undermine concepts of "objectivity" and suggest that our picture of "the world" is "brought forth" by observer activity ?

but is not observation also based on consequence(s) ?

and to ignor a consequence , which is based on fact , by way of observation ,will lead to subjectivity , which will lead to a , wrong move or thought , by the self(s)
fresco

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 12:17 am
@north,
No, "observation" is a verbal accompaniment to a two way inter-relational process between what we call "observer" and "observed". The word "self" can be evoked as " observer", but during most interactions which proceed without description neither the "self" nor "things" have ontological status.
For those who don't understand this idea, let them count on the fingers of one hand how many times they were aware of "self" pushing "brake pedal" last time they "drove a car". Indeed, let them consider the status of "car" when they make "observations" such as "I turned the corner".
north

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 12:42 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

No, "observation" is a verbal accompaniment to a two way inter-relational process between what we call "observer" and "observed". The word "self" can be evoked as " observer", but during most interactions which proceed without description neither the "self" nor "things" have ontological status.

so our need for water to survive has no ontological status?

such non-sense

Quote:
For those who don't understand this idea, let them count on the fingers of one hand how many times they were aware of "self" pushing "brake pedal" last time they "drove a car".

who cares

the important thing is that they did , of course push the brake pedal

Quote:
Indeed, let them consider the status of "car" when they make "observations" such as "I turned the corner".

a race car diver is very aware

fresco

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 12:52 am
@north,
This is a philosophy forum not a barbers shop .
north

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 12:58 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

This is a philosophy forum not a barbers shop .

oh well , so you understand the facts then ?
fresco

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 01:04 am
@north,
What I understand is that you have not read any of the preamble to my comments, nor the published references to which they refer. We can all play at kibbitzing, or mouthing off at what the manager of the football team should have done.