NEW MEMBERS PLEASE???

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 02:00 pm
Hi All,
Back in the philiforum we used to have a constant supply of new members. I enjoyed welcoming them, reading their profiles and having a little chat as they came through the door. JGweed was always there too, to welcome them in.
There could be, on average, about 5 a day, now, it seems there are zero. I mean, anybody looking for a philosophy forum, isn't likely to walk into A2K. What is being done about this?
Soon, regardless to the content and people here, we'll all end up going over the same old ground, as David Gilmore would say (or sing, rather). We can't rely on the absorbtion factor to attract new members, we need a phililike Access point and an introductory package.

What do the rest of you think on this matter?
Thank you all.
Mark.

sometime sun

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 02:09 pm
@mark noble,
You said it all.
There could be an introduction area thread for each forum?
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 02:09 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:
There could be, on average, about 5 a day, now, it seems there are zero.

On Philforum they weren't allowed to post anywhere on the site unless they introduced themselves, so they were a lot more visible, but this site gets more new members than Philforum did, and just does a less active job at getting them to introduce themselves as newbies (we should at least do the welcome PM with a link to an introduction thread like we used to).

Quote:
I mean, anybody looking for a philosophy forum, isn't likely to walk into A2K. What is being done about this?

You may be surprised on this one. If you search for "philosophy forum" on Google you'll see that able2know is #1 (or you will, if you currently don't as that is in a state of flux right now) and one of my primary expertises is internet marketing so I don't think you have to worry about people finding us when looking for a philosophy forum. This is already off to a good start (hey, #1 ain't bad) and is going to be the dominant philosophy forum online if I have anything to say about it.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 02:19 pm
Hi Robert,
Brilliant news, thank you, indeed.
Have a splendid day, sir.
Mark...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 02:27 pm
@mark noble,
If you are looking for new folks to welcome and not just any that might be new to the philosophy forum, take a look at the politics, relationships and word games forums. There are new folks posting there every day.
mark noble

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 02:36 pm
@Butrflynet,
Hi Bfn,
Thank you.
Best wishes.
Mark...
0 Replies

Pangloss

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 02:44 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

I mean, anybody looking for a philosophy forum, isn't likely to walk into A2K. What is being done about this?

Since the old philosophyforum.com automatically redirects to this site, I would think that this place will still be attracting the same new members as the old site when they utilize an internet search.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 02:52 pm
@Butrflynet,
Hi Bfn,
Not exactly forums I would frequent, I had a look though. No new members stood out, and even if they did, I doubt they or I would be like minded.
I think I'm gonna miss that feature. (The intro feature that is). The rest is good though.
Thanks for the tip Bfn, have a great day.
Mark...
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 02:59 pm
@mark noble,
When I'm looking for new members, I also look in the New Topics list. That's usually where they take their first steps here. When I see a name I don't recognize as having been around before, I take a look at their profile to see how many posts they've made and also to look at the date they registered here (it is in the upper right corner of the profile screen).
mark noble

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 03:16 pm
@Butrflynet,
Hi Bfn,
oh no... unavoidable rhyme alert...

Thanks again, Bfn
For showing us the way
for lighting up the darkness
And brightening our day
We'll not forget when first we met
Nor hence regret to say
If not for you this much ado'd
Have driven us away.

I'll give it a go. thank you. I'll have to recognise the original 100,000 or so first though... oh well, I'll just cancel summer...
Mark...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 04:56 pm
@mark noble,
Here you go, Mark.

http://able2know.org/topic/23-1

EhBeth had to start it in Sept. 2002, due to overwhelming demand. They were expecting member 13 to be along just any day.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 05:03 pm
@roger,
Thanks, Roger.
0 Replies

drillersmum

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 10:26 am
If I am not a new member, am I allowed to post a message in here? I hope so.
I don't know much at all about philosophy so I feel like I'm treading on thin ice here. I probably don't know what a philosophical question is, but I am going to take a chance and ask what I think might be a philosophical question...
It's to do with coincidences. Someone once told me that they didn't believe in coincidences, and that translates into 'there is no such thing as a coincidence'. So if something I thought was a coincidence, really isn't a coincidence, then what was it?
I don't want to get all hung up on coincidences, but when they happen, they can be a bit scary, depending, of course, on what the circumstance or happening was. Is that a philosophical question? Big sighs.
mark noble

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 11:24 am
@drillersmum,
Hi Drillersmum,
You are, of course, welcome. So are any questions you have too.
As to your question -IMO Coincidence is simply interpreted as - An event or happening that occurs by luck, fortuity or accident, by chance.... The opposite of this is typically defined as - Intended or calculated, designed - God-given, if such is your belief.
And, as far as I know drillersmum, every question has a philosophical side to it.
Please visit more often, join in the fun, and remember - Nobody here can prove anything for sure.
My own opinion on this is - There are no coincidences.
Have a fantastic day, my friend.
Mark...
0 Replies

Sentience

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 06:32 pm
@mark noble,
I found it on Google, just throwing that out there to help the debates.
HexHammer

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 10:23 pm
@mark noble,
Hmmmm, this topic reminds me of "horders", people who collects pets for the pure sake of collecting, no matter if the collector can't provide food, shelter or just basic good conditions.
Often the pets ends up living in their own filth, starved, filled with worms and other kinds of weird things.

The horder can't grasp that the pets suffers and will repeat this hording, if the goverment comes to remove all the pets and kill them.
mark noble

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 08:26 am
@HexHammer,

HexHammer wrote:

Hmmmm, this topic reminds me of "horders", people who collects pets for the pure sake of collecting, no matter if the collector can't provide food, shelter or just basic good conditions.
Often the pets ends up living in their own filth, starved, filled with worms and other kinds of weird things.

The horder can't grasp that the pets suffers and will repeat this hording, if the goverment comes to remove all the pets and kill them.

Hi Hex,
Are you comparing my want to meet people, say hello to them and welcome them into the forum - To the sad individual in your analogy? If so, thank you for that, and have a lovely day.
Mark...
mark noble

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 08:27 am
@Sentience,
Sentience wrote:

Sentience wrote:

Hi Sentience.
Found what, exactly?
Have a great day.
Mark...
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 11:45 am
@mark noble,
On a more serious note, I find the current numbers sufficient, I would hate to have the forum filled with too many people, where everything spiral out of control, nothing gets personal thus boring.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 11:56 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi Hex,
Are you comparing my want to meet people, say hello to them and welcome them into the forum - To the sad individual in your analogy? If so, thank you for that, and have a lovely day.
Mark...

Hey there... big welcome to ya and the Phil's...

Have a lovely day too Razz

Splendid over here in the UK and we're enjoying the sunshine.

See ya round the board - it's nice to meet y'all Very Happy
0 Replies